Cheapest Way From Chiang Mai To A Nice Beach

My plan is to take a day bus down to BKK and hopefully get a sleeper train down to wherever it is that I end up going.

Problems with this:

Do they have sleeper trains heading south?

Will I be able to turn up at the station in BKK at 7pm and get a ticket for the same night?

Potentially I could end up being stuck in Bangkok for a day or two which adds at least another 1000 baht onto the cost.

The next issue is where to go. I want a nice beach in an area that is both quiet and relaxed yet reasonably active at night. Kata in Phuket hit the right spot a couple of years ago. I could go back there, but I'm also interested in trying somewhere new. Further to that I'm slightly interested in a paradise island gig, as a side trip to my side trip. Where is the current 'still unspoiled by tourism' place to go? A couple of years ago it seemed to be the Ko Lipe and Ko Tarutao area. I'm on a budget, so cheap accommodation is a must.

I would be happy to fly if the overall price turned out to be cheaper than overlanding. But from what I've seen you're looking at 7k+ for the whole trip, which is too much.

So any advice on islands and how best to get there would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The AirAsia CM->Phuket flight is probably the best bet for point to point after considering time and enjoyment. No shortage of great beaches at Phuket. Kata is very nice but I prefer Karon or Surin. The northwest beaches - Naiyang, Naithon and Layan - are relatively infrequented, while Naiharn at the extreme southwest point is a lovely pocket with good surfing.

There is a direct CM-Hua Hin bus for around 800 baht, going at night I think - check the CM forum.

AirAsia also now fly direct to Phuket for around 1500 baht. :)

I took the overnight VIP-bus to Cha-Am, and back from Hua-Hin, recently for 785 Baht each way, and would recommend it, Sombattour departs from CM-Arcade at 18.15 or (I think) about 20.00.

If you want nightlife, then Hua-Hin is quite good, but you won't find the beach quiet IME.

The newly-launched Air Asia (daytime) flight to Phuket was under 3,000 Baht return, for some dates, when first on-sale, and you might get a cheaper hotel on their web-site too.

Happy Holidays ! :D

We live in the south and usually take a return sleeper train cabin to Bangkok comfortable and pretty quick for a train ( 14 hrs to Thung Sung) .best bet for you might be Bangkok to Trang? Can't remember how much... think less than 3000 baht one way for two?

Lots of lovely beaches down here ....my favorites on Ko Lanta. (island south of Krabi accessible by two car ferries at about 60 baht?.google it!)...cheap(800baht to mid priced bungalows "on the beach" and trips to islands fishing/scuba/snorkeling etc. Wife says lots of beautiful beaches on islands off Krabi too but we've never been. Since we had a sailboat for a while we got to lots of "go buck naked and enjoy" little islands and beaches in the Andaman but I am sure there are lots of longtail sojourns available from most of the southern beaches .lots of better places than Phuket....have fun...

david

• 1 month later...
Actually both are on a very similar latitude and around 3 hours south of Bangkok, to boot, but then there's the ferry to think about for Samet, not to mention it's rip-off tendencies.

There are other options around Rayong - not so nice as KohSamet,but plenty and not expensive,all - one nightinbus away from CM