Moving Stuff To Bkk From East Coast Usa

I've just taken a job at Chulalongkorn University to start Feb 1. They are providing me an apartment on campus (I pay rent, but cheap for that area).

I want to bring stuff in excess of what I can cram into my luggage, more clothes, texts books, and small stuff for my apt that i've collected over the years.

I'd like some advice on how to best move this stuff, in terms of least expensive-while still in a timely fashion, and also on what to do to minimize possible customs issues/charges. If I address it to one of my Thai colleagues, would that make any difference?

thanks

Put the excess stuff in storage and bring only the things that you need. Have you ever been to Thailand? Bring a few good books to read, a few DVD movies and music CDs. If you have specific products that you use because of sensitive skin by all means double up on those items. Other than that I can't think of anything else that you won't find here already.

bringing and or shipping things from US to Thailand greatly depends on (the amount/weight/volume) you wish to bring.

- I presume you have a 'o' or 'b' visa, this will entitle you to import (through shipping only) a reasonable amount of personal

affects into the country exempt from duty. (this will only apply to shipping & it is a one time exemption, if you have done this before this will not apply and you will be responsible for the duties assessed)

1a) bringing luggage via your inbound Airline; if you are able to stuff your belongings within the limitation of your

airline luggage of 2 pieces, this will be the best (although it will be heavy...and bulky)

the charge of an additional piece (3rd piece) is around $100 for around 45 pounds. (check your airline website (baggage) for additional information of charges and cubic inch size requirement)

1b) FYI: bringing personal affects through commercial airlines (your inbound luggage) will not entitle you for an duty free

exemption (on O & B visa) on household affects. (be aware of this as Customs will have the authority to assess any taxes on your household affects)

for more information, check:/www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/FreeZone/FreeZone.jsp?menuNme=FreeZone

or ask the University administration office for your household assistance

A visa does not allow shipment duty free. Only if you have a work permit and extension of stay and ship during the first six months. And even then it can be problematic. Sending to a friend would not change anything as gifts are also taxed. You should be able to mail books without much problem. You probably will not need all weather clothing and larger items would probably not be cost effective to send. But if you do send be sure to get door-to-door service from a company that knows what they are doing - tax, if required, is usually quite reasonable if bargained down. But shipping charges will problem not make it worthwhile.

It will be expensive to bring much more than your airline baggage allotment. Not only would the shipping/mailing cost be high, but Thai customs will then hit you up. I know it's extremely hard to leave memories/personal effects behind (me and the Mrs made the move from the US/Hawaii), but DO NOT worry about clothes which can be easily bought in Thailand. For those truly important memories/personal effects/pictures/etc., it's probably best you bring them along as excess baggage if you want to avoid SUPER high shipping costs, customs pains/costs, etc. There ain't no low cost shipping answer.

If you have frequent flyer miles with the airline(s) you are using, you can probably use them to pay the excess baggage cost. In my move to Thailand I used my frequent flyer miles to pay for around a $1000 in excess baggage (which included the wife's dogs). :)