Government Kicks Off Drive Safe Campaign For New Year Holiday

webfact

gallery_327_1086_7322.jpg

Government kicks off safe-driving campaign for New Year holiday

BANGKOK, Dec 8 (TNA) – Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Tuesday officially launched a seven-day safe-driving campaign, aiming to reduce the number of road accidents nationwide during the long upcoming New Year holiday period.

The premier presided over the opening ceremony of the campaign, run by the Road Safety Operation Centre.

All agencies are working together during the whole month of December, with intensified safety measures during the most dangerous peak period of the upcoming New Year beginning December 29 through January 4.

Mr Abhisit said that the government has tried to reduce the number of road accidents, declared as a national agenda. About 12,000 people are killed on average each year and 5,000 persons become handicapped, caused by road accidents.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, director of the Road Safety Operation Centre, said that caravans of vehicles will leave Bangkok for upcountry provinces to promote the campaign.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office in Songkhla province in the South also began the campaign to urge local motorists to prevent road accidents during the upcoming New Year holiday period. The province has targeted reducing road accidents by five per cent from the previous year. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/12/8

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice pic of Abhisit, he looks a bit like those missionaries on a bicycle. The ones that makes your realize that religion sucks.

Instead of kicking of just another campaign, the government should improve the standards all together. Cracking down on officials selling drivers licenses would help already. Even better is a ban on all those people who learn their family members drive. Prison sentences for uninsured drivers will help too.

The funny campaigns are no more than gimmicks that try to make an government with a blue eye and damaged nose a bit better.(while we all know that's impossible).

Nice pic of Abhisit, he looks a bit like those missionaries on a bicycle. The ones that makes your realize that religion sucks.

Instead of kicking of just another campaign, the government should improve the standards all together...

Ha if the Thai government would listen to all the smart people we have on thaivisa, the country would be so much better, people would be so much smarter, and this would be heaven on earth...

flg

Stop speeding motorcyclists going between cars, all drivers (cars and motor cycles) overtaking on the left and then pushing back into slow moving traffic, fine bus drivers who do not stay in the left lane, disqualify people who run red lights, remove stupid police from operating automated traffic lights and running 5 minute intervals per side... :) oh what's the use...

It still works and the deaths reduce the numbers ... T.I.T. :D

maybe if the took everyone off the road who didnt have a "real" driving licence or insurance, that would be a start, then stop them riding and driving down the wrong side of the road, what about driving with their lights on or replacing bulbs in the rear lights, I wish I had 10 baht for every car and motorbike i have seen driving at night with no rear lights. and explaining that the rear view mirror is for checking behind you and not for checking your hair or make up. but my favourite must be the ones who have their whole family on their motorbike and they are on the phone or even sending a text while driving one handed............. that should hit the target of a 5% reduction in accidents........ to reduce accidents is easy, just teach the new generations to drive or ride a bike, and make them take a test with an honest instructor/examiner then make them all pay insurance to cover the unexpected............. and when that happens, wake me up cos i will be dreaming....

Instead of kicking of just another campaign, the government should improve the standards all together...

Ha if the Thai government would listen to all the smart people we have on thaivisa, the country would be so much better, people would be so much smarter, and this would be heaven on earth...

flg

and i guess, never see a traffic jam again, because most of peaple woudln't pass a Real driving test anyway, so the roads would be free of vehicles. But than again, this isn't Europe and i think it's better so. If all the law would be enforced like Euroe and USA, i would not stay here anymore.

For years I've been listening to Farangs badmouthing Thai drivers but I don't think they are really that bad when you consider that there is little or no threat of being stopped for any moving violation or drunk driving. What would it be like back in Farangland if the police suddenly announced they will no longer be stopping people for DUI, speeding, reckless driving, etc. ? ....I submit the streets would be flowing with blood. The Thai's are actually rather laid back and well behaved when you factor in no police cars in the mirror or cameras everywhere like the UK for example. One thing I immediately loved about Thailand is they rarely honk their horns. I remember many years ago driving in circles around the coliseum in Rome honking our horn, waving our fists out the window while laughing our heads off....no one even noticed because they were all doing the same thing!! Meanwhile it seems like almost every Farang I know here in Phuket has had at least one accident and they were always at least a little drunk. So we have no room to criticize.

flg

and i guess, never see a traffic jam again, because most of peaple woudln't pass a Real driving test anyway, so the roads would be free of vehicles. But than again, this isn't Europe and i think it's better so. If all the law would be enforced like Euroe and USA, i would not stay here anymore.

And you would go...............where?

Instead of kicking of just another campaign, the government should improve the standards all together. Cracking down on officials selling drivers licenses would help already. Even better is a ban on all those people who learn their family members drive. Prison sentences for uninsured drivers will help too.

The funny campaigns are no more than gimmicks that try to make an government with a blue eye and damaged nose a bit better.(while we all know that's impossible).

Wouldn't imposing a few driving lessons or at least a more substantial driving test to ensure the Thais can actually drive before they hit the roads, people or pavements. It's the best way to solve the problem! I mean I wonder how many Thais do the test in the government office without even wairing a seatbelt? And why should they as who needs a seatbelt to drive forward in a government car park at 6km per hour for 50m and then drive backward for a reverse park between 2 traffic cones at 1km per hour. Hand over the token 1500B or so and BINGO your on the road. Then it's a short drive to the nearest pub for a celebratory half bottle of Sang Som before doing the school run!

Anybody actually know any Thais who voluntarily wair a seatbelt "before" they spot a police road block in the distance. If the government actually spent some of the money they make from road fines to introduce a basic road safety course to kids at school it would be a start.

Stopping and giving large fines to pickup drivers doing 120km in the rain with their extended family hanging off the back would probably save a few lives! I saw a woman a couple of years ago sitting on the back of a fast moving pickup in the rain frying fish on a gas burner. A funny sight but you have to wonder if she's still with us?

Edited by Jirapa

Meanwhile it seems like almost every Farang I know here in Phuket has had at least one accident and they were always at least a little drunk. So we have no room to criticize.

good point, I've seen some people drive home when they could only sit on the motorbike if it was moving! As soon as it stops, they fall sideways with it or backwards off it!

It would be nice though, if those brand new pickups didn't have their 15000watt fog-lights on at night. Or if they did, they were in front of me going in the same direction!!

Any measure that the government brings in to try and reduce deaths should be welcomed. The laws are there, they just need to be enforced. To those who say they wouldn't stay if the law was enforced like at home in Farangland : you have obviously never lost someone you know to a drunk driver. I would suggest you'd feel differently otherwise.

For years I've been listening to Farangs badmouthing Thai drivers but I don't think they are really that bad when you consider that there is little or no threat of being stopped for any moving violation or drunk driving. What would it be like back in Farangland if the police suddenly announced they will no longer be stopping people for DUI, speeding, reckless driving, etc. ? ....I submit the streets would be flowing with blood. The Thai's are actually rather laid back and well behaved when you factor in no police cars in the mirror or cameras everywhere like the UK for example. One thing I immediately loved about Thailand is they rarely honk their horns. I remember many years ago driving in circles around the coliseum in Rome honking our horn, waving our fists out the window while laughing our heads off....no one even noticed because they were all doing the same thing!! Meanwhile it seems like almost every Farang I know here in Phuket has had at least one accident and they were always at least a little drunk. So we have no room to criticize.

I am Italian and agree 100 per cent. Thais drive very slowly compared to Italians and are more polite drivers. If in Italy we had the big roads they have here, 3 or 4 lanes, and not so many controls by police, people would just drive as fast as they can.

what does a 7 day campaign mean? Which part of the so far unenforced laws are they going to enforce? I can see it now, deciding on which ones to enforce, and for whom. So let's see, no riding the wrong way on a street, or kids under 18 w/out helmets, text messaging while driving, text messaging while driving and balancing an infant, riding on the shoulders, ( i guess that's ok, they probably should've made the roads wider, seat belts, that's a good one, car seats are out of the question, can't make someone buy something they don't have, even if required. 3 on a bike, 4 on a bike, 2 adults and 3 children on a bike? Good thing it's only for 7 days, no one likes to be called a jerk.

Average of 25 deaths aday normally sober yes sure they are not that bad, hub of good drivers next - wake up

I don't think there's too much criticizing just commenting. I'm sure we all love it here and have never had it so good. Honk your horn in the UK and you might get stabbed in the face so yes they're well mannered here! That aside manners don't save lives and neither do silly speed restrictions. 90km for a saloon car but 120km for a pickup with a granny and 4 kids sitting in the back. The line's got to be drawn somewhere!

err ".....Laid Back in LOS" = 1) Khun X In Bed with Mia Noi, Farang Punter/or, more likely 2) Dead by DUI or 2 wheeled-carriage and off (sadly) to meet Buddha.......12,000 'relaxed permanently' a year that is.... and the rest!

Be real careful out there.

Upright in ChiangMai Brewsta

flg

Funny I was thinking the same thing :)

Stop aged farangs trying to drive like they did at home - only drunk!

Stop young feckless farangs trying to drive like they did back home - only drunk.

You don't see many 70 year olds driving around Pattaya on high powered motorbikes as if they were competing in the Isle of Man TT races.

flg

What Thai Visa have you been reading? Being opinionated, verbose and arrogant hardly constitutes being smart. How would emulating the crumblimg structures and failed policies in the west make here heaven on earth?

I am Italian and agree 100 per cent. Thais drive very slowly compared to Italians and are more polite drivers. If in Italy we had the big roads they have here, 3 or 4 lanes, and not so many controls by police, people would just drive as fast as they can.

I didn't mean to pick on Italians, I am from Miami and trust me the drivers are crazy there also. Miami is now mostly latinos from South & central America and they tend to be a little hot headed or maybe coked-out. I remember when my friend came from Miami to visit Phuket he commented to me that he didn't think the drivers here where that bad. It's all relative to what your used to. I would be happy if they would just fix the lights on their motorbikes...no excuse for that.