Cambodian Court Sentences Thai Engineer To 7 Years In Jail

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is clearly being played as a political pawn/bargaining chip. Cambodia has taken sides in the Thailand internal conflict and they are playing with fire. Time will tell how wise they were.

You're circling answers Jingthing :)

Would it be OK in the US to pass the info (as our Thai friend did) without consequences ?

LaoPo

Thailand will end up with more land over this.

Thailand will end up losing many soldiers like they did before and gain nothing, if they start a fight with the Cambodians.

You all think the Thai army are good fighters, then you all must be joking, they will lose against the Cambodians.

Mother of sentenced Thai engineer will not appeal Cambodian court verdict

BANGKOK, Dec 8 (TNA) – The mother of the detained Thai engineer found guilty in a Cambodian court opted to not appeal the verdict, saying she will seek a royal pardon with the help of the opposition Puea Thai Party.

Speaking by phone from Phnom Penh to Puea Thai party headquarters after hearing the verdict, Simarak Na Nakhon Panom, mother of Siwarak Chutipong, the Thai national jailed for seven years and fined Bt 100,000 (US$3,000) on espionage charges, said she would not appeal the verdict out of concern that it would delay the court case.

Mr Siwarak was convicted of passing allegedly confidential flight information relating to ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra’s visit to Phnom Penh last month.

His mother said she would ask her lawyer to seek a royal pardon in an attempt to free her son as soon as possible. She also urged two former Thai prime ministers--Thaksin Shinawatra and Chavalit Yongchaiyudh--to help secure her son’s release.

"I decided to seek help from the opposition party for fear that obstacles may arise through Thai foreign ministry channels as the relations between the two countries are in trouble," said Mrs Simarak.

She reiterated that her son’s case should not be linked to political issues and called on Kamrob Palawatwichai, the then first secretary of the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh, to show his responsibility as he had asked her son to pass on the information.

The Cambodian court said the flight schedule of Mr Thaksin was considered confidential as Mr Thaksin was appointed an economic adviser of the Cambodian government by King Norodom Sihamoni.

As Mr Thaksin is a prominent figure, sharing information of his flight details to the Thai embassy is tantamount to sharing Cambodian confidential information to Thailand.

The six-hour trial called the defendant and four witnesses to testify, including two Cambodian colleagues of Mr Siwarak and two police officers. Mr Siwarak admitted he inform the Thai diplomat verbally but didn’t pass on copy of the flight schedule.

His two colleagues said the flight schedule was not important information, but should not be shared with persons outside the company.

Mr Siwarak’s lawyer argued the flight information is not confidential and anyone in the company can view it and Siwarak didn’t know Thaksin was aboard that plane. The only thing he knew was that a VIP was on the plane.

Moreover, Cambodian media had earlier reported Mr Thaksin’s arrival.

Thai and Cambodian relations were downgraded after Cambodia appointed Mr Thaksin as an economic adviser and refused to extradite him to Thailand. enewsMr Thaksin was sentenced in absentia to two years in prison for violating a conflict-of-interest law. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 8 Dec 2009

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

My wife told in ASTV they showed his mother at the red protests and his dead father made business with Thaksin and even called Thaksin "father". So that all let it look like a big soap-opera.....

ASTV is the biggest soap opera of them all, complete clap trap.

Are you saying that his mother didn't attend red rallies and that his father never had business dealings with Thaksin?

Source please.

Swift "Justice". Gotta love it. Cue Thaksin to swoop in, to arrange a "Pardon".

Exactly! Total setup.

That's why the mother gets so much press and build up,

and letters from Chavalit and hokum and hoopla.

Total <deleted>.

They would put some poor bastard in jail just to make themselves look like heroes...

Just the kind of schmucks you want running your government...

Thaksin my only hope

By THE NATION, AGENCIES

Published on December 9, 2009

The mother of jailed Thai national Sivarak Chotipong yesterday pleaded with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to use his close connection with the Cambodian government to free her son who was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment for spying.

Sivarak was also fined 10 million Cambodian riels (Bt83,000) for passing on Thaksin's flight information to a Thai Embassy staff.

Sivarak's mother Simarak na Nakhon Phanom, who attended the trial in a Phnom Penh court yesterday, burst into tears when she heard the verdict. She rushed to call the opposition Pheu Thai Party's headquarters in Bangkok to seek assistance from the party's real boss Thaksin, and party chairman Chavalit Yongchaiyudh.

"I don't know where and from whom to seek help but, former prime minister Thaksin and General Chavalit, please help my son to get freedom," Simarak told reporters at Pheu Thai Party via telephone conference.

Simarak said her son would not appeal to a higher court. She pleaded with the Pheu Thai to seek a royal pardon for her son from the Cambodian king.

The mother did not want to rely on the government to help her son as she blamed the Foreign Ministry for moving slowly due to its sour relations with Cambodia.

In his Internet radio programme 'Talk around the world' yesterday, Thaksin did not mention Sivarak's case.

Ke Sakhan, presiding judge of Phnom Penh Municipal Court, convicted Sivarak, a 31-year-old employee at the Thai owned Cambodia Air Traffic Services (CATS), saying Thaksin's flight information was confidential and sharing it was a violation of national security.

"Thaksin is an adviser to Cambodia's government and Cambodia has the obligation to provide him security," the judge said.

During his hearing yesterday, Sivarak admitted that he had checked Thaksin's flight schedule but said it was only after the ousted Thai premier's private jet had already landed in Phnom Penh International Airport. He said he passed on the information to a Thai diplomat, Kamrob Palawatwichai, at his request after two phone calls.

"I took a look at the flight schedule and made a phone call to Kamrob about the flight schedule," Sivarak told the court. "But I didn't get a copy of the flight schedule and hand it over to anyone."

Two employees of CATS testified in the court that Sivarak had asked them about the flight schedule.

The Thai diplomat, Kamrob, was later expelled from Cambodia. Sivarak was arrested on November 12 when Thaksin was in Phnom Penh to lecture on economic matters.

In her telephone conference from Phnom Penh, an emotional Simarak pinned the responsibility for her son's plight on Kamrob. "I want to ask Kamrob, where are you? If you had not called my son, he would not have been in this condition," she said.

"He is innocent. Why should he take responsibility on your behalf. So please come out to take responsibility for your actions. My son has been in jail for nearly 30 days and I cannot tolerate anymore seeing him handcuffed," she said.

Thailand and Cambodia have been at loggerheads after Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen appointed Thaksin as his adviser. The two countries have downgraded their diplomatic relations since late October.

Chronology

Nov 10: Thaksin lands in Phnom Penh. Sivarak passes Thaksin's flight information to diplomat Kamrob.

Nov 11: Cambodia expels Kamrob.

Nov 12: Sivarak is arrested.

Nov 13: News of his arrest is broken by local media.

Nov 14: Thaksin leaves Cambodia.

Nov 16: Thai charge d'affairs visits Sivarak at Prey Sor prison. Sivarak's mother Simarak phones him for the first time.

Nov 27: Simarak visits her son for the first time.

Nov 30: Simarak seeks help from the opposition Pheu Thai Party, which arranges another meeting for her.

Dec 2: Simarak visits her son for the second time.

Dec 4: Simarak changes her son's attorney and withdraws his bail request.

Dec 7: Simarak arrives in Phnom Penh to hear the verdict for her son.

Dec 8: Sivarak is sentenced to seven years in jail and fined 10 million riel.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 9 Dec 2009

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

:) at the mother calling Puae Thai and asking Thaksin for help. What a complete transparent farce.

Orchestrated by the 'master' composer- and it ain't over until the square-faced Frank gets to sing:

"I bought it Myyyy Waaaay"...

Democrazy... megalomaniac delusional style

Yet the TV Walter Mitty's REALLY mew:

'But Khun Thaksin will make the beers colder and cheaper, the girls warmer and same and the exchange rate will rocket back, (if only reality could be suspended/subverted).

Democracy fighters or pure Walter Mitty escapists at anyone's price, even a nation's? (but like Mr Thaksin, not their own, heaven forbid...)

As in Monty Python, 'Always look on the bright side o' life' (ie in this pre-meditated gaff, go give Cambodia a hug- ( you know, for er, "democracy":D

Choke dee!

Cambodia jails Thai man, Siwarak Chothipong, for spying

Published: 2009/12/08 15:37:44 GMT

post-13995-1260315589_thumb.jpg Siwarak Chotipong

An air traffic controller in Cambodia has been jailed for seven years for spying on Thai ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra during an official visit last month.

Siwarak Chothipong, who is Thai, was accused of passing Mr Thaksin's private flight details to Thai diplomats.

Mr Thaksin caused a diplomatic uproar when he was named an economic adviser to Cambodia despite being wanted in Thailand to serve time for corruption.

Ties between the neighbours were already tense over a border dispute.

Diplomatic manoeuvres

The judge said Siwarak, 31, had breached security by leaking the details of Mr Thaksin's private flights while Mr Thaksin was a guest of the government.

But the seven-year sentence was actually the lightest possible for spying. The maximum would have been 15.

Thai officials have indicated they will try to reduce it further - by helping Siwarak to appeal, or asking for a royal pardon from Cambodia's King Norodom Sihamoni.

There has also been speculation in Thailand that Mr Thaksin may intervene to secure Siwarak's release, the BBC's Guy De Launey reports from Phnom Penh.

Cambodia's relationship with its larger neighbour has deteriorated since July last year - when it secured World Heritage status for an ancient temple in a disputed border area.

Last month's appointment of Mr Thaksin as a special economic adviser to the government in Phnom Penh made matters worse.

A mutual withdrawal of ambassadors followed, as Thailand accused Cambodia of political interference.

The Thai tycoon was toppled in a 2006 coup and is living in self-imposed exile to avoid a two-year jail term for corruption.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/asia...fic/8401938.stm

LaoPo

It's sad when people's lives get destroyed because they get caught in the crossfire between gov'ts. Whatever his mistakes, I very much doubt that he thought he was doing anything seriously wrong.

It's sad when people's lives get destroyed because they get caught in the crossfire between gov'ts. Whatever his mistakes, I very much doubt that he thought he was doing anything seriously wrong.

He, and other who see things superficially are naive. Obtaining the inside corporate information for outsiders (Thai Embassy staff confirming a specific private craft landing) is wrongfully damage the company (CATS). It tallies an espionage.

One thing I see it as strange is the guy still has a radio in his hand while being led by Cambodian staff (B-Post this morning), and all the time he was smiling.

He, and other who see things superficially are naive. Obtaining the inside corporate information for outsiders (Thai Embassy staff confirming a specific private craft landing) is wrongfully damage the company (CATS). It tallies an espionage.

One thing I see it as strange is the guy still has a radio in his hand while being led by Cambodian staff (B-Post this morning), and all the time he was smiling.

He basically admitted he knew he was doing wrong by stating that he was authorised to have that information - this suggests that he knew it was controlled in some way yet still passed it the thai embassy. If he believed that this information was already in the public domain and not classified in any way, why would he need authorisation to ask for it??

My wife told in ASTV they showed his mother at the red protests and his dead father made business with Thaksin and even called Thaksin "father". So that all let it look like a big soap-opera.....

ASTV is the biggest soap opera of them all, complete clap trap.

But they are almost always right with their rumors so far.

In this case (I got told) they could show pictures of his mother with red clothes at the red demonstrations....

If an aircraft is already landed or not isn't a secret. Which is also pretty logic as anyone with 2 eyes within a few km can see if an airplane lands.

If an aircraft is already landed or not isn't a secret. Which is also pretty logic as anyone with 2 eyes within a few km can see if an airplane lands.

If the dam_n pooyai in the embassy had got in the car himself and seen it, it wouldn't have been an issue. But then, from the extremity of the airport edge, could he have seen it? Gaining knowledge about the precise timings landings and take offs of private aircraft isn't meant to be that easy because it is by definition somewhat private.

Calling Air Traffic control and pulling rank is not the done thing I am afraid. The fact that the company operating air traffic control is Thai, makes the actions of the embassy even more stupid. I find it quite funny that Thailand gets it's knickers in a twist that Singapore owns a satellite that supposedly could be hacked to listen to secret Thai armed communications, but Cambodia allows a Thai company to run its air traffic control. National security?

The guy was very naive to pass on the info, and should have told them, go find out yourself.

If the dam_n pooyai in the embassy had got in the car himself and seen it, it wouldn't have been an issue. But then, from the extremity of the airport edge, could he have seen it? Gaining knowledge about the precise timings landings and take offs of private aircraft isn't meant to be that easy because it is by definition somewhat private.

Calling Air Traffic control and pulling rank is not the done thing I am afraid. The fact that the company operating air traffic control is Thai, makes the actions of the embassy even more stupid. I find it quite funny that Thailand gets it's knickers in a twist that Singapore owns a satellite that supposedly could be hacked to listen to secret Thai armed communications, but Cambodia allows a Thai company to run its air traffic control. National security?

The guy was very naive to pass on the info, and should have told them, go find out yourself.

For me that looks like a big show. I think including the embassy staff.

Call the guy at the airport even you can see it in Thai/Cambodian TV a few minutes later???

Sivarak Chotipong asked as many Cambodian people as possible, instead of simple look out of the window, so there is some evidence.

His mother stopped the request for bail (if it would be granted he would have left the country easily).

He get 7 years and what surprise he says "Now only Thaksin can help".

A great big show.

So the embassy person who called is a part of this government. He asks, as an official from the embassy, for information that should not be passed on without the consent of someone at a higher level in the Airport. He has circumvented the chain of command. He has also given information about someone acting in an official capacity for the Cambodian government.

So what ever big show follows, it was started by a person representing this government.

There may not even have been a call and if it was how can we be sure it was from a government official, just because he said so? You can't just believe anything that is being said, not a word.

With a little luck this latest trick could backfire because it could show to the reds that they have been quite gullible.

There may not even have been a call and if it was how can we be sure it was from a government official, just because he said so? You can't just believe anything that is being said, not a word.

With a little luck this latest trick could backfire because it could show to the reds that they have been quite gullible.

Actually it is not important if there was a call or not. The problem is that the red one anyhow have almost zero support from educated people who are interested in politics. They won't loose any supporters there.

The lao kao 200 Baht for a vote community won't care much as well. So I don't see how it may backfire.

Setup. Mr. T to the rescue.

I don't think that Mr. T is going to rescue anyone. Influence his release yes, take full credit, no. This guy will get out by royal pardon from King Sihamoni and deported home.

My prediction is 1-2 months, however I could be wrong (which would not be the first time :) ).