Why I Moved To Thailand 5 Years Ago And Why I Stay!

bikerlou47

Why I live Here

Many of the readers of this web site have asked the question why make the move to Thailand, and that question has forced me to take a look at my reasons. As a result I have attempted to put my reasons down to paper.

I am sure I have not covered everything because let me say there is something in the air here that makes life exciting. Every day there are things that pop up that make me laugh I cannot really explain it but there is a sense of freedom everywhere in this country.

While in the USA I feel oppressed and hurried, but again I apologies for not being able to really express my feelings properly.

I know that some of you who live here may disagree with some of the things I have stated but I am giving you my personal experiences and feelings.

Let me say at the outset that these are my reasons. Your life in your home country may differ from mine so some of these reasons may not be a reason for you to make a move to Thailand. So let me tell you a little about me to help you make a comparison.

My home country is USA.

I have never been convicted of a crime as a result I have never had a problem of entering any of the 30 countries I have visited.

I am single.

I enjoy “married type” life.

I am disgusted with western women

I am retired but under 65.

I have very little respect for American Police and the laws that they enforce especially traffic laws

I have very little respect for the American court system even though I respect the Law in general

I have no minor children.

I am a morning person.

I have no serious health problems.

If the above describes you then Thailand maybe a good move for you. I will explain in detail in the information below.

Women

First of all let me say there are good and bad women in every country what I am really trying to express here is that in my opinion that women here and in much of Asia have different priorities. Their first priority is their husband and they truly appreciate you and what you do for them and their family. Even after 5 years my girl still thanks me for my slightest effort to make her day more pleasant.

One of the biggest problems I found with American women is they put their children, parents, grandparents, grandchildren and pets ahead of their husband on their priority list.

This is especially true if you are remarried and her children are not your children.

There also is also age discrimination. Here if you have a clean appearance and a smile many girls will turn their eye toward you, even if you don’t act on this attention it is certainly nice to experience it.

In the States it is totally different; your age will automatically eliminate you from having a relationship with a younger woman unless you can provide big dollars. Take a walk in a mall in America and see how many heads of young ladies you can turn!

My girl is 26 years younger than I, but that age difference goes by each day without either one of us taking notice.

I don’t need to tell you how good it makes you feel that you can have a relationship with a young beautiful woman and truly know that you make her happy.

I have put women here as my first priority because that is what attracted me to Thailand initially, after moving here I discovered many other advantages.

There are other reasons that I could place in this category but my mother may read this! LOL

Health Care and Health Insurance

America health care system is pretty good but the expense is ridiculous, not only for the health care itself but for the insurance. When I left the USA my premium for non first dollar coverage was over 300 USD a month. Now I pay about a 1000 USD a year for better coverage

Bangkok has one of the best hospitals in the world, not only is the care first class but the cost is far less than anything you will find in the states.

Medications for the most part can be bought over the counter and in many cases for a fraction of the cost in the USA.

When I turn 65 this advantage will virtually disappear as I will have Medicare, I think!

The biggest disadvantage here is there is no 911 service. I live in the mountains if I have a serious injury or health problem I will most likely die!

I know that and still live here which goes a long way to tell you how much I love everyday int his country.

I would rather live a shorter life here in Thailand than suffer a longer life everyday in the USA.

But the good thing is I take better care of myself I know I eat better foods and I get a complete physical every year.

Lack of Enforced Oppressive laws

There is a sense of freedom here. There is no a constant police presence and laws that cause you to restrict you daily behavior. When I visit the USA I get this feeling of constant pressure to make sure that I am following many of these ridiculous laws. Many of these laws exists in Thailand many do not but the difference is that if you happen to get caught for not following a law in Thailand you don’t have to take out a mortgage to pay the fine or spend time in jail. I am not saying you can never go to jail here but for the most part for minor offenses there will just be a small fine.

Don’t fell like cutting your grass you don’t have to worry about the home owners association knocking on your door. If you would like to have a garage door don’t worry about putting in the door retraction system. With some care here you can find recreational drugs here and not have to worry about prison, you may need to have some money to get you out of jail but the beauty of this society is 99 times out of a 100 a small amount of money will get you out of trouble and there will no permanent stigma attached to you.

Traffic Laws

I like to drive and I like to have an open road which means many times I am driving over the speed limit It’s not driving fast I like, it is just the fact I don’t like to be in traffic, I feel unsafe following cars. Of course this means many speeding tickets in the USA and much money and time going to driving class. I have been driving for over 35 years with no accidents I believe that I drive very safe, fast does not mean reckless.

In Thailand I get stopped many times, my girl will give the cop the equivalent of 3 USD and we are on our way. How nice is that?

I also like to have drinks sometime when I am go out, here you don’t have to worry about a DUI if you get stopped pay your money and go.

By the way did you know it is more dangerous to walk drunk than it is to drive drunk?

During my most recent visit my girl and I got stopped by a real asshol_e cop and he gave me a ticket for not moving over a lane? What kind of bullshit is that 220 USD!? He also threw in a seat belt ticket for 116 USD. Seat belt laws how foolish to make people wear seat belts, I can drive my motorcycle without a helmet in Florida but if I am surrounded by 5000 lbs of metal I have to wear a seat belt.

How about all those kids riding school buses, where are those seat belts? It is just another way for communities to raise money it has nothing to do with anyone watching out for you. Watch out for yourself and your family. I don’t need the government interfering in my personal life and preferences!

It is more dangerous to drive in Thailand that is for sure, so it becomes important to take safety measures while on the road. The most important being whenever possible DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT Thai’s feel as though driving with lights on is optional!

Non-Litigious Society

I really do enjoy law and the history of how our laws have been developing for many centuries. I appreciate and respect laws that are born from common sense and safety for others. I am totally disgusted with what has happened in the USA. Law suits are common practice the lawyer commercials continue all day long as they look for new reasons to sue a doctor, a hospital, pharmaceutical company or anyone for that matter. Sometimes you need a lawyer here but for the most part you can live everyday without having to interact with an attorney.

Thai Food

Great spicy food which meets my taste perfectly, always have loved food with a kick here I can get it everywhere and cheap!

From my travels I think Thai food is growing in popularity all over the world!

Geographic Location

Thailand is closer to the equator which means about 12 hours of sunlight 12 hours of darkness all year long. Don’t have to deal with long nights or long days.

Also no daylight savings time so it’s dark when you go to sleep and light when you wake up. As I said I am a morning person so I love the fact that the sun comes up around 6am and I love to see it set about 18:00 especially during those hot months.

I never really understood daylight savings time and now USA has extended those hours to include additional weeks, during my last visit my grandkids bedtime was 8 PM sun still high in the sky, they would get up around 7 am and of course it was dark! Don’t understand it never will and I don’t like it!

This may seem like a minor point but this has much to do with your internal clock and your whole attitude during the day.

Weather

I don’t like cold weather or snow so I don’t care how hot it gets I can always find some shade and a cold drink to cool off.

Infra Structure

The infrastructure here is weak and that is a fact, but it is weak because there are no property taxes. Personally since I have no young children here I don’t care about the quality of schools, or the proliferation of parks, tennis courts, baseball fields etc.

By the way the USA has been throwing money at the school systems for decades and with each passing year the education system continues to decline.

So no property taxes suits me just fine I put up with a few inconveniences due to the weak infrastructure but considering the money I save each year by not paying high property taxes it is a small price to pay.

Location to Bangkok

I really enjoy living two hours away from one of the biggest cities in the world. There are many services available including an International airport. If I were to live two hours from NYC the price of housing would be sky high.

Thai Massage

This may seem like a minor thing but not for me I get a massage everyday and it has become part of my daily life. I play tennis almost every day and I am old! That massage feels so good.

Thank you

Lou Rossi

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Bikerlou, that was a very interesting post, most of which I agree with.

I have been living here a similar amount of time to you and although I am English much of the same stuff applies.

I would however take issue with your statement about it being OK to drink and drive here.

In my opinion it's NEVER OK to drink and drive :D

It would appear that the unwritten law is that if you are drinking and driving it's pretty much OK until you have an accident...then they will throw the book at you, and spending time in a Thai jail would be much worse than spending time in one in the States I would imagine.

However if they impliment the new laws that they are talking about in time for the holiday season they will be having a lot more checkpoints and if you are stopped and you are over the limit (which is lower here than in your country) you will get 48 hours jail time immediately, plus a possible suspension of your license..call me old fashioned but I think thats a good thing considering there are 12,000 deaths a year here,(the majority of them involving DD) thats 10 times more than the UK which has a similar population :D

Interesting to hear your take on western women :)

Lou,

It sounds to me like you are trying to convince yourself of what a good move you made.

We all have different perspectives. Mine is that Thailand is okay to visit, but my Thai wife and I are far better off in every possible way living here in coastal Australia - and she is even more certain about this than I am.

By the way, I lived in LOS for a few years in the early eighties, as a single man on a full expat package, and had the time of my life. But I am very glad that I left when I did, just as I am glad to have gained an understanding of Thai culture which means that my marriage is all the richer and stronger.

I seldom read a 4000 word post. I understand Thai women put their husband or bf way down the list of priorities, far worse than Western women. And, I preferred 36-inch racks. But if you like it here, good for you. So do I.

Certainly true that Thai women generally put husband/BF below family on the priority list. 36 inch racks? You must be talking about deer or antelope, ha, ha.

I agree with your comments to a great degree, drinking and driving to me is a no-no.

Being born in Mexico to American Citizens, I enjoyed my life in Mexico, I moved to the States And agree with you that the U.S. is a police State. Why dose the "land of the free" have more people in prison that in other country in the world? Its prisons are being taken over by Corporations and most of the inmates are minorities in the U.S..

The North American Free Trade Agreement, ruined the Mexican Economy and allowed US Realtors to buy up all the land in the fishing village I lived in on the Sea of Cortez. Driving up the cost of living - that was the same as living in the states

Going from Puerto Penasco Sonora to Tucson, I was stopped by the police at 6 check points in the 112 mile drive within the U.S. and that was 10 years ago before the great Immigration crisis. While in Communist Laos on a visa run in my week there saw very few police presence , in Vientiane!

I am a law abiding person, live a quiet life in rural Thailand with a great wife /family and the best of friends.

I will never go back to the west, I plan to pass away in Thailand !

I miss my children in the US and Mexico but that is the only regrets ,I have of leaving there.

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

Good for you Lou, that you are happy. I dont know how long you have lived here (at least 5 i believe), or how long your views will remain that way. Even though you have issue with western women because of various reason (i know some guys here have that issue, and thats up to them. Anyone "disgusted" by me, purely by the fact im western and female, i have no need nor desire to be around. Im not a big fan of overly discriminatory people and prefer to give my time to people with reasonable outlooks.), at least the rest of what you had to say had a positive slant, rather than bemoaning everything about Thailand. However, sadly negativity and bemoaning often comes after several years of being here. Thankfully not all turn out that way.

"Women"

Lou, much of what you wrote about Western women that you do not like, could have been written word for word about what Western men here say about Thai women. So..hmm. You say you have a "marriage-style" relationship with a woman 26 years younger. Yes, you are right..it is unlikely you would have this style of relationship with a woman that much younger than you in the West. And, although not always the case, most often marriage style relationships with large age differences here is based more on "security". Many of the guys here confused a monetary based relationship with love, respect, etc. Im not saying thats what you have, and there are also different levels of what a monetary based relationship is. Of course most women want a man who isnt a bum, and want security, but some women are only truly interested in what can be financially provided. If you take care of her,she will take care of you. If the money is gone, so is she. Again, you only know how and what makes your relationship work, and what its based on. Whatever that is, again, good for you if you are happy and it works for you.

"Health Care and Health Insurance"

Again, good you are satisfied. Ive read and listened to many a long list of complaints against health care here. So its refreshing to read someone who is happy in this area.

"Lack of Enforced Oppressive laws"

Hmmm......this one is a bit of a large bite to tackle right now. .. :D

"Traffic Laws"

Hmm..you drive safe, but you drink and drive. :D Traffic laws..I think most people wish for safer driving in this country....are traffic laws not the way to enforce safer driving...?

"Non-Litigious Society"

....lol.

"Thai Food"

:)

"Geographic Location"

With regards to schooling..I think kids in Thailand would appreciate even just some of the kind of opportunities Western kids get. Poor kids in rural areas here may as well forget the chance of a decent education. I dont see what the big deal about daylight savings are..tbh.

"Thai Massage"

I agree Thai massage is great..so long as the masseuse knows what they are doing.

---

Well..as i said, best of luck to you.

Edited by eek

these words were bought to you by the Misogynistic libertarian hoon society of Thailand??

Each to his own...just don't drive near me and my kids when you are on the road. I'm afraid my 'cheap' health insurance won't cover me enough for the damage caused.

Nice post except the drunk driving part or the part where you need to justify your relationship with a 26 year younger thai women by slating american women. I really hope for her sake that your mum isn't around anymore or that you have no western daughters to find out how disgusted you are with them :)

Oh & before anyone gets ideas that this is a thread to start making offensive or derogatory comments about women of any nationality, it isn't.

I live in Thailand and here is my view of the subjects mentioned:

Women

Thai women living in Thailand are in general much poorer than their Western counterparts.

They only see older Farang men as a source of financial security. If the money runs out so does the wife, if not before. Pussy is probably one of the most expensive luxuries in Thailand.

Health Care and Health Insurance

Health care is very good and affordable. But for serious illnesses like cancer, heart problems or long term serious health problems, Thai health care could prove extremely expensive. For Farangs it is the land of the healthy, couldn't afford otherwise.

Lack of Enforced Oppressive laws

Yes, that's true, but the lack of some bylaw restrictions can be a problem. Such as neighbours burning rubbish near the home, feral dogs running riot, someone decides to build a whacking big factory or open a karaoke bar next to your house in a residential area, someone leaves a load of gravel outside their house on a public right of way and you trip and break your leg, the list is endless.

Traffic Laws

Not strictly enforced here unless the policeman has had a bad day or needs some extra cash to pay for his girlfriend's birthday present. If someone is speeding and crashes into you or someone close to you, would you still be grateful for the lack of enforcement?

Non-Litigious Society

True also. But in Thailand if you have a legal problem, owed money or someone swindles you, you're stuffed. Getting them into court can cost thousands and take years to finalise.

Thai Food

I do love Thai food, that's a plus here in Thailand.

Geographic Location

Depends in which area of Thailand you live. If you like beaches, no point in living in Chiang Mai.

Weather

Love the Thai weather and beautiful sunny days.

Thai Massage

I too love Thai massage, especially with the happy endings. It`s worth living in Thailand just for that.

Once we give up our homelands and move to Thailand, then it`s too late to reverse the process. After that it`s either like it or lump it, no other choice.

Edited by BigWheelMan

Interesting post Lou, I'm not going to cover the ground which many others have already addressed such as the drink driving etc, however I was interested in this statement you made;

"I have never been convicted of a crime".

So does that mean you've been locked up a few times, charged and have beaten those charges at court for whatever reason?

I've met alot of people in my time that have expressed opinions regarding laws, similar to yours and I'm wondering what has influenced your opinions on these types of things?

Glad you enjoy living in Thailand, I hope you have many more wonderful years of enjoyment.

I guess some of you have a problem understanding English where do I ever say that I like to drive DRUNK?

I say I like to have some drinks some times when I go out....my girl is Always with me and she does not drink so I have a designated driver for those few occasions that I do get drunk.

Maybe you dont realize it but the western world is moving toward ZERO TOLERANCE do i need to explain that to you also?

I should probably stop posting on this site there are too many guys like this one who have no life and get on this site and talk pure rubbish!

Then I say it is safer to walk drunk than drive drunk.....which is a statistical fact!

Some of you guys are amazing you guys get drunk and start posting crap!

Do us a favour and go back to the states and take your theories on DUI with you.

Nice post

Ageism against men is a big problem in the western world and totally unnatural. Men can still sire children well into their 80s so why shouldn't they. What natural law is there to state that an older man who still wants to have sex with a younger woman is in some way wrong or unnatural. Feminism is a nasty disease that far too many western women have caught. What man wants to live in a society where everything he thinks and does is scrutinised and judged by the other half of the race.

As another poster has already pointed out, the younger woman only want you for security. Who cares!

Nice post except the drunk driving part or the part where you need to justify your relationship with a 26 year younger thai women by slating american women. I really hope for her sake that your mum isn't around anymore or that you have no western daughters to find out how disgusted you are with them :)

Oh & before anyone gets ideas that this is a thread to start making offensive or derogatory comments about women of any nationality, it isn't.

Was waiting for these posts from western women lol.The guy obviously doesnt know much about the women of thai visa,even though he thinks he knows about thai women.Maybe he has a point lol.For my little 10 pence worth nice women are nice,horrible women are devils creatures,same as men.

A biblical sentence might not get me banned,thank you jesus lol

Nice post

Ageism against men is a big problem in the western world and totally unnatural. Men can still sire children well into their 80s so why shouldn't they. What natural law is there to state that an older man who still wants to have sex with a younger woman is in some way wrong or unnatural. Feminism is a nasty disease that far too many western women have caught. What man wants to live in a society where everything he thinks and does is scrutinised and judged by the other half of the race.

As another poster has already pointed out, the younger woman only want you for security. Who cares!

Hope you dont get banned but i can see the devils out very soon mate.Ageism can go both ways,would you,at 45 yo go with an 80 yo woman????

In this forum thai men are brilliant and thai women are devils,accept or die.

I guess some of you have a problem understanding English where do I ever say that I like to drive DRUNK?

I say I like to have some drinks some times when I go out....my girl is Always with me and she does not drink so I have a designated driver for those few occasions that I do get drunk.

Maybe you dont realize it but the western world is moving toward ZERO TOLERANCE do i need to explain that to you also?

I should probably stop posting on this site there are too many guys like this one who have no life and get on this site and talk pure rubbish!

Then I say it is safer to walk drunk than drive drunk.....which is a statistical fact!

Some of you guys are amazing you guys get drunk and start posting crap!

Do us a favour and go back to the states and take your theories on DUI with you.

I guess you never made it past carmines last post, which is a shame. :)

Anyway, Lou, there is a reason that ZERO TOLLERENCE is being considered in the west as it is slowly being recognised after extensive testing that most people with a blood alcohol reading of just 0.02 grammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood are affected by alcohol. I understand in many parts of the world that regulate this type of thing, its common for legal limits of 0.08 & 0.05 being set.

So, in all reality, as 0.02 is a very low amount, Zero Tollerence would probably be the best way to go, therefore there can be little argument when someone is caught drinking and driving. The reality is, if your going to drive a car, then alcohol should NOT pass your lips, irregardless of what country you live in.

There is also a big difference between DUI or prescribed concentration of alcohol offences as to the legal definition of being 'Drunk'.

Fair play, say what you mean :D

But ok to slate the guys though, eh. :)

Sorry jackr, do you want to elaborate please. This thread was started by an op who made several comment regarding women. Maybe you should speak with one of the 30+ western male mods when you see comment about men you don't like as I don't have time to monitor them all & very often have no idea when you might be offended. Oh & the report button is also there for the same reason.

Fair play, say what you mean :D

But ok to slate the guys though, eh. :)

OOPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS,i have to agree nobody come on and said this about guys,but you have been on here long enough to know what would happen to this thread,and it gets very boring when you know the answers before the posts

Perhaps you didn't say you drove drunk but your sentence:

I also like to have drinks sometime when I am go out, here you don’t have to worry about a DUI if you get stopped pay your money and go.
certainly implies it.

Also, I might add:

With some care here you can find recreational drugs here and not have to worry about prison, you may need to have some money to get you out of jail but the beauty of this society is 99 times out of a 100 a small amount of money will get you out of trouble and there will no permanent stigma attached to you.

This is a risky attitude indeed.

guess we need a rule reminder guys:

4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

16) Not to post about gambling, betting, pornography, illegal drugs, fake goods/clothing etc and other activities that are officially illegal in Thailand.

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

guess we need a rule reminder guys:
4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

16) Not to post about gambling, betting, pornography, illegal drugs, fake goods/clothing etc and other activities that are officially illegal in Thailand.

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

I especially like all those guys that want to live in lawless societies yet chose to come to one of the most regulated forums on the web. What is it with that? :D Isnt it ironic?

Sorry I like laws in society, they are there in an attempt to keep us safe :)

Edited by neverdie