Really Odd (allen) Bolt..

LivinLOS

Recently a mech who was doing some tidying managed to lose one of the allen bolts (think yanks call em socket screws ??) which holds the tank filler cap to the tank (Honda)..

The problem is this is a 4mm thread with a 6mm head.. So while I can chuck in a 4mm stainless bolt easy enough its just stands out as being 'wrong' and its right under my nose, reminding me, day in day out !! Annoying the hel_l out of me..

Have been round every hardware store, mechanic supply, and scooter fettling place I can find.. Drawn a total blank and no one knows where to even order.

Does anyone have an idea of some kind of source for oddball fasteners ?? Tiny thing I know but annoying.

Honda dealer? They do have spares you know. Or if you don't like Honda dealers take one of the others (sample) to one of the parts shops near Saphan Kuay BTS station.

Last resort show us a picture?

Edited by VocalNeal

Honda dealer? They do have spares you know. Or if you don't like Honda dealers take one of the others (sample) to one of the parts shops near Saphan Kuay BTS station.

Ever been into a Honda dealer and asked for a part for a CBR900 ?? They look at you like you have 2 heads..

Part of my problem is am not in BKK, so it has to be someone I can phone / email or order online if not Phuket (should have stated more on that).

I had one off the bike but put it back on.. Will take a snap.. Essentially tho a 4mm thread and a 6mm allen bolt head is what it is.

Edited by LivinLOS

Ever been into a Honda dealer and asked for a part for a CBR900 ?? They look at you like you have 2 heads..

Part of my problem is am not in BKK, so it has to be someone I can phone / email or order online if not Phuket (should have stated more on that).

I had one off the bike but put it back on.. Will take a snap.. Essentially tho a 4mm thread and a 6mm allen bolt head is what it is.

You should have mentioned what bike you had in the first post otherwise most people will assume its small scooter. You can't admonish someone for something they don't know, telepathy still isn't common yet. Are there any breakers in Phuket and for that matter I would have talk to some of the big bike rentals and bike shops there.

Have a nice day :)

You should have mentioned what bike you had in the first post otherwise most people will assume its small scooter. You can't admonish someone for something they don't know, telepathy still isn't common yet. Are there any breakers in Phuket and for that matter I would have talk to some of the big bike rentals and bike shops there.

Have a nice day :)

I agree, my fault.. But yet to see a scooter with one of those tank filler caps surrounded by allen head bolts..

Any boat shop should carry those allen bolts in many different sizes

Excellent.. I will go and have a look at the boat chandlers..

You do get my point about its non standard 4mm thread and 6mm head tho ?? This isnt just a stainless allen head bolt, I can find them in 10's of places.. But its an oddball.

Any boat shop should carry those allen bolts in many different sizes

Excellent.. I will go and have a look at the boat chandlers..

You do get my point about its non standard 4mm thread and 6mm head tho ?? This isnt just a stainless allen head bolt, I can find them in 10's of places.. But its an oddball.

Ermm,actually no I don't get your point as in my opinion the head of a screw is always bigger then the thread.Anyway you have the biggest chance to find an odd size at those places since they use many of those allen head bolts in boats and jetski's.

Just replace all of them and then they will match. If you ever find another of the originals, you can change them back.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is bothered by different fasteners that don't match. The Thais think I'm crazy when I complain about things like that.

Edited by Gary A

Have a nice day :D

:)

Telephone Red Baron in BKK or get the wife/girlfriend to call Mr. T Bike.

My NSR has them I just looked. So any CB400 or CBR400 will have them. Or they are very rare which is why the mechanic who has a CBR400 stole one of yours :D

Good point in the CB comparison.. And giving vikrom a call at baron..

@Gary.. yes I can replace them all, but somehow the little 4mm heads in the holes looks crap.. And yes its silly.. but having one bolt wrong, right in front of me, is just annoying.. OCD and all that.

@basjke.. What I am trying to explain (badly) is that the thread is a 4mm thread, and the head is the head you would get on a 6mm threaded allen bolt.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.. Will see what comes out in the wash.

Down here they are called a 'Set screw', which means it is threaded the entire length and it is inferred they have an Allen head but there are Phillips head, Pozi-drive and a bunch of security heads as well. The world of fasteners is huge, so someone in Bangkok must have what you want.

Call these people if you get stuck.

Unbrako

135 Joo Seng Road

#03-02 PM INDUSTRIAL BUILDING

Singapore 368363

Fax : 62982893