Alleged Aussie Perfume Thieves Out On Bail In Phuket

george

As mentioned by others already, something stinks about this, I can well believe they stole something, shoplifting isn't a new phenomena, anybody is capable of it.

However I've never seen a bottle of perfume or mens aftershave (even in an expensive DF) anywhere in the world that would cost £135 per bottle (x3 = 22K BHT). Obviously perfume in this sprice range exists, but whether King Power in Phuket sells it, I wouldn't bet on it. Maybe they sell by the litre ? ;-) Not exactly a good size to discreetly conceal.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there a scam with King Power before where Farangs were being falsely accused - dragged off to some remote hotels threaten etc etc unless they handed over considerable sums of money - sounds a lot like this again.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I am new here, but isn't what you are saying against the rules. You refer to a particular person or party as doing wrong. From what I have seen his duty free shops going by the shirts that the staff wear have been voted world wide as the best duty free shops in the world.

I'm really dissappointed.

I went to the King Power website to see the latest videos and there's nothing there! Nothing! Not even a sniff of this latest outrage!

How can we conduct a trial by TV members unless the "evidence" is there for us to examine? Next thing we know they'll be conducting these trials in a court completely bypassing TV's 'trial by internet'.

Disgusted.

I shall be boycotting King Power until they put the video online, who are these people that would deny me the opportunity of a good laugh on TV? What about my entertainment? Selfish ******'s.

Edited by DagonKhan

I went to the King Power website to see the latest videos and there's nothing there! Nothing! Not even a sniff of this latest outrage!

How can we conduct a trial by TV members unless the "evidence" is there for us to examine? Next thing we know they'll be conducting these trials in a court completely bypassing TV's 'trial by internet'.

Disgusted.

I shall be boycotting King Power until they put the video online, who are these people that would deny me the opportunity of a good laugh on TV? What about my entertainment? Selfish ******'s.

I agree, a kangaroo court made up from TV members should be,and is great entertainment, everyone is entitled to speak there mind, Hence good old TV

where would we be with out it,, and i wonder when king power will add video evidence,, should make for an interesting thread???

:):D

Disgusted.

Being politically correct and not offending anyone I always keep a wide birth of this business to avoid any conflict. I travel through cnx and bkk 13 times a year and in Chiangmai they always ask me to step over the line and look in thier store but I decline out of fear.

Wasn't there a scam with King Power before where Farangs were being falsely accused - dragged off to some remote hotels threaten etc etc unless they handed over considerable sums of money - sounds a lot like this again.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I am new here, but isn't what you are saying against the rules. You refer to a particular person or party as doing wrong. From what I have seen his duty free shops going by the shirts that the staff wear have been voted world wide as the best duty free shops in the world.

Have you leave of your senses? Or, perhaps, have you been put up to this by King Power himself?

Not really - the 'scam' (only referring to the case that was brought up previously here) was in-fact not a scam at all, as we could all see from the surveillance tapes. The 'scam' part would be how organized the system was to allow people to pay their way out of the trouble. So next time I am sure the couple is more than happy to go to jail instead. No?

And I doubt this is a 'scam' in the sense that they did in-fact steal perfume valued 22k baht and no negotiation has been reported taking place.

Leaving aside whether or not they really did lift the stuff (none of us is in a position to know really) the following snippet from the article caught my eye

"With more than a week having passed since their arrest, it appears the case is not off to a swift start through the Thai criminal justice system, however.

Tha Chat Chai Police duty officer Sarit Bodnongsand told the Gazette today the case would stay with the police for the full two weeks allowable before it is forwarded to the courts".

It sounds to me rather as if they were offered the "pay up and get out of jail (free except for 100k or so)" but would not or could not go along. So the MIB are getting back at them by stringing it out as long as possible - point here is to demonstrate that costs of longer stay, lost wages, flying parent out, legal costs are higher than customary brown envelope - so that others will not go the same route, innocent or not.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Great point.

Joy Perfume, by Jean Patou, is a classic and retails for $250 per HALF OUNCE. King Power may very well sell this...three bottles could easily equal the amount mentioned in the article, 22K baht. It is a lovely scent and a favorite of women. I received my grandmothers 1 ounce unopened bottle [stored away from the light] upon her death and relished every drop of it. I would never spend the money to buy that expensive a perfume. There are several others much more expensive but that is due to their packaging in Baccharat crystal.

The most expensive perfume in the world is : Clive Christian's Imperial Majesty with a price of $215,000.

British designer Clive Christian's creation has recently been voted in the Guiness Book of World Records the most expensive perfume in the world. The 16.9-ounce perfume bottle is stuck into the 18-carat gold collar that is adorned with a five-carat diamond. Only five bottles are made annually, justifying the eye-popping price.

I'm saddened that so many of you posters are so willing to stick the boot into these young people whether they are in the right or in the wrong. Where's your humanity?

I'm revolted that someone above suggested that the British academic couple got what they deserved and not totally outraged that the police extorted 8,000 pounds sterling out of them after holding them captive for several days.

You'll get used to it. There are too many "string 'em high" old armchair duffers here who fancy the quick end to any alleged or conceived misdoings.

The simple facts are that they are alleged to have stolen goods....see that alleged word?? They have been arrested, they have not been formally charged yet through the courts. They have not had a court appearance. They have not been convicted. They claim they are innocent.

Added weight has to be given to their innocence due to the criminal carry on of King Power in Swampy. Has anyone been charged and jailed for these blackmails, unlawful detention and thefts from foreigners? Has Swampy been finally closed down to this criminal activity and it has now moved to Phuket??

Wait and see. Maybe they are guilty...maybe not. But my mind tends to be swayed by the goings on in Swampy.

I still buy in King Power but I do make sure that I never venture outside the shop boundaries unless I have the fresh purchase receipt in my hand.

Easier said than done.

I find that many of the shops are not displaying KP logos etc - but when you go the till you are issued a KP receipt. Either they are KP lessees or something, or KP is trying to distance itself from itself. Now why would that be? ;-)

Secondly some of the displays are set up right on the edge of the shop boundary. Therefore it is not possible to pick up merchandise to look at or to buy - WITHOUT STEALING IT FIRST - AS YOU CANNOT PICK UP THAT MERCHANDISE FROM WITHIN THE STORE- ONLY FROM OUTSIDE IT!!.

Caveat emptor, & shoplifters too - whether they mean to be one or not ;-(

Screwed.

There are 3 sides to every story, theirs, yours and the truth, which usually bears little resemblance to either.

Now the point I really wanted to make. It never ceases to amaze me how quick people on this board are to assume the worst about the Thais. They have a different culture than ours. Their values, goals and behaviors reflect these differences. Yes some of it is baffling. Some of it is frustrating. Some of it is outright enraging, but it only becomes an issue when you demand they conform to your value set. Even the most dyed in the wool long term Expat, is still a guest. To my knowledge everyone who resides her did so by choice.

Not wishing to be pedantic (wrong, I suppose I am), 'either' means one or the other of two.

As to your last paragraph, I agree.

However I've never seen a bottle of perfume or mens aftershave (even in an expensive DF) anywhere in the world that would cost £135 per bottle (x3 = 22K BHT). Obviously perfume in this sprice range exists, but whether King Power in Phuket sells it, I wouldn't bet on it. Maybe they sell by the litre ? ;-) Not exactly a good size to discreetly conceal.

:)

Oh, I was going to say that after I'd read all the following comments.

My feeling about this case is that the accused are guilty and that King Power for once wants to prosecute a genuine foreign shoplifter - as a way try to undo the damage done to their credibility by the fake arrests / extortions they were involved in earlier.

That being said, a simple fine should have been enough in such a minor case. Weeks in a Thai jail is an excessive punishment for shoplifting.

I still buy in King Power but I do make sure that I never venture outside the shop boundaries unless I have the fresh purchase receipt in my hand.

Screwed.

The meaning of the phrase 'caveat emptor' is:- "that buyers must take responsibility for the quality of goods that they are buying".

Not directed at you on a personal basis, but people should not introduce foreign words/phrases into English language conversation without first understanding their original meaning.

Anyone like to translate this, my family motto since 1487 - "PROBITAS ATQUE FIDELITAS"?

Just as an aside - I'm holidaying in the UK for the Xmas period and the cold weather here is being made all the more bearable by reading the various forums on this website. February 2010 cannot come soon enough so my wife and I can be back in Thailand. Hopefully it will be warmer than the 6C temperature we are suffering now!!

Everyone just keep contributing to TVF, and thank you to all that do.

Apologies to the powers that be if I have strayed off this topic.

Innocent until proven guilty and I'll go along with that premise, and so should we all. Having read some comments about this couple I am sure it is a good thing that the death penalty was abolished (save for certain offences still on statute) in the UK and that certain contributors to this topic are not sitting as High Court Judges.

Which "certain offences still on statute", please? I was under the impression that (unlike Thailand where capital punishment is enthusiastically retained) UK finally and absolutely abolished the death penalty in 1999 when we signed on to the Sixth Protocol to the ECHR. (I use the expression "we" figuratively - the people were not consulted)

I am particularly interested in case your reply may provide a means whereby we can lawfully string up Blair and Brown after the next election.

Screwed.

The meaning of the phrase 'caveat emptor' is:- "that buyers must take responsibility for the quality of goods that they are buying".

It means nothing of the sort - those words are just your spin. "Caveat emptor" means "Let the buyer beware" plain and simple. It is a warning, not an assignment of responsibility.

Not directed at you on a personal basis, but people should not introduce foreign words/phrases into English language conversation without first understanding their original meaning.

Nor should people post false translations! Motes and beams in this instance, I am afraid.

Joy Perfume, by Jean Patou, is a classic and retails for $250 per HALF OUNCE. King Power may very well sell this...three bottles could easily equal the amount mentioned in the article, 22K baht. It is a lovely scent and a favorite of women. I received my grandmothers 1 ounce unopened bottle [stored away from the light] upon her death and relished every drop of it. I would never spend the money to buy that expensive a perfume. There are several others much more expensive but that is due to their packaging in Baccharat crystal.

No way some kids are going to wants some perfume that smells something like ya grandma would use. they are all into CK and the like. Not likely they would keep it unlocked even if they did have it.

Something stinks here.

Stinks. Geddit?

"16 year olds often have more brains than guys asking for a prison terms for their parents... As far as I know there are no laws against free will."

Perhaps a 16-yo has more brains than you, and that's fine. Free will notwithstanding, there are laws to protect children, laws that YOU personally don't want.

The laws that need to be followed are the laws of the country they are in. I don't know if Thailand views a 16 year old girl with a 21 year old man in the same manner.

In Thailand he could be in trouble for being with a 16 year old girl. The girl must be 18 in Thailand unless he has the consent of her parents.

At least they'll both have a great travel story to tell when they eventually get back home.

Can see King Power pushing this to the limit of the law after all the bad press they had recently.

Custodial sentences in Thailand the likely outcome notwithstanding the girl's age.

If she's got her head screwed on after her gaol time she'll write a book, sell the movie rights and walk away a rich young woman.

The laws that need to be followed are the laws of the country they are in. I don't know if Thailand views a 16 year old girl with a 21 year old man in the same manner.

In Thailand he could be in trouble for being with a 16 year old girl. The girl must be 18 in Thailand unless he has the consent of her parents.

Of cause all you guys are thinking "What would I have done with a 16 yo girl" and get upset at your own perverted fantasies. Am I mistaken, or is the article not about a 21 yo being caught having sex with a 16 yo? Ah, dirty minds all think alike. A few hours from no a retired gentlemen will ask for adivce on how to adopt the children of his 17 yo Thai girlfriend (whose parents have of course provided written consent already) and whether a 55 yo age difference is still acceptable or not.

Does it say anywhere that the girl came to Thailand without the consent of her parents? They may have financed the entire holiday for her. And men don't come to Thailand to have sex with their girlfriend, fiancee or wife. They want sex they come alone :)

4 pages and not a single bit of information more than what was written in the news report! Actually, that's a lot of restraint for TV. :D