Cheap Calls To Los From Uk

Duality

hi guys i'm back from los a little bit older but none the wiser...

i have just been looking online for cheap international calls and have come across some websites were you dial an access code then the uk code and finally the number you wish to connect to in thailand for absolutley piss cheap rates that are billed to BT or whoever is your service provider. it all sounds to good to be true so i am asking you fellas with experience if they are a scam or are legit? there must be a catch...

here are some of the websites i was checking out -

www.pennyphone.co.uk

www.firstnumber.co.uk

hi guys i'm back from los a little bit older but none the wiser...

i have just been looking online for cheap international calls and have come across some websites were you dial an access code then the uk code and finally the number you wish to connect to in thailand for absolutley piss cheap rates that are billed to BT or whoever is your service provider. it all sounds to good to be true so i am asking you fellas with experience if they are a scam or are legit? there must be a catch...

here are some of the websites i was checking out -

www.pennyphone.co.uk

www.firstnumber.co.uk

I use phonecards that I buy from : 1st4phonecards.com I was paying 2p a minute to Thailand, some have cheaper rates to Bangkok.

The main point with all cards is that you pay the card rate plus access premium for dialling an 0800 number they give you or an 085.., number they give you or you can dial a 0207...., i.e. straight London access number that you pay to BT or your provider, if as many people do you have free national calls at some time or other in your telephone deal you will end up paying only the card rate as the access call will be free. This is the most economical way to call. But if you use someone elses phone it may be more convenient to use the 0800 number.

Skype is free computer to computer but to call a landline or mobile in Thailand is 7.3p (not bad for mobile) and 4.5p to Bangkok twice as much as you can get on a card with free access call.

www.telesavers.co.uk. 2p a minute to Thai mobile numbers. If you've got an O2 mobilie in the UK you can get the number included in your free minutes. They also don't charge for calling Telesavers, it's the standard 2p a minute which is a bargin.

• 3 weeks later...

Telesavers have just put up there charges again

1p Minute in Jan/Feb/March

2p Minute in April

3p Minute May

Still good price though through landlines. However the access numbers will incur higher charges though your mobile. I think orange quoted me 15p a minute to call the access number to thailand for telesavers 08444 397 397.

Edited by jflundy

For cheap from UK to LOS see :

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/callchecker/

Theres about 4 for 1p per min to land amd mobile - these generally work well and the proce they charge is determined by the number you call. Be warned though calling from a non BT landline or from a mobile and it will be more expensive. These are cheaper than any VOIP with Thai termination I have seen. The only cheaper way is direct IP to IP calls - even then it depends on what internet service you have. Some of the lines are very popular and will all ways be engaged - but this is usually if your in the 0207 or 0208 areas. I beleive that there is a Swiss telecoms company behind most of these companies and they sort of rotate the prices round. At 1p a minute it is cheaper to call a mobile in LOS from the UK than it is in LOS !

I made another post recently asking if anyone knows of Thai VOIP call termination at better than 1p or 75 satangs a minute to land or mobile - any takers here ?

Theres about 4 for 1p per min to land amd mobile - these generally work well and the proce they charge is determined by the number you call.  Be warned though calling from a non BT landline or from a mobile and it will be more expensive.  These are cheaper than any VOIP with Thai termination I have seen.  The only cheaper way is direct IP to IP calls - even then it depends on what internet service you have.  Some of the lines are very popular and will all ways be engaged - but this is usually if your in the 0207 or 0208 areas.  I beleive that there is a Swiss telecoms company behind most of these companies and they sort of rotate the prices round.  At 1p a minute it is cheaper to call a mobile in LOS from the UK than it is in LOS !

I made another post recently asking if anyone knows of Thai VOIP call termination at better than 1p or 75 satangs a minute to land or mobile - any takers here ?

Something that still puzzles me - when you dial the relevant 0845 (national call rate?) access number, are you paying the per minute charge for that as well as the 1p per minute the provider quotes for the call? If so, daytime calls would be a total of 4p per minute.

BTW, tried Skype (Skypeout for calls to a regular phone, in fact) a few times and have never got a connection to a Thai mobile or landline where the Thai end was loud enough to hear clearly - although I think they could hear me OK most of the time. And, yes, I checked my audio set-up numerous times.

Theres about 4 for 1p per min to land amd mobile - these generally work well and the proce they charge is determined by the number you call.  Be warned though calling from a non BT landline or from a mobile and it will be more expensive.  These are cheaper than any VOIP with Thai termination I have seen.  The only cheaper way is direct IP to IP calls - even then it depends on what internet service you have.  Some of the lines are very popular and will all ways be engaged - but this is usually if your in the 0207 or 0208 areas.  I beleive that there is a Swiss telecoms company behind most of these companies and they sort of rotate the prices round.  At 1p a minute it is cheaper to call a mobile in LOS from the UK than it is in LOS !

Something that still puzzles me - when you dial the relevant 0845 (national call rate?) access number, are you paying the per minute charge for that as well as the 1p per minute the provider quotes for the call? If so, daytime calls would be a total of 4p per minute.

BTW, tried Skype (Skypeout for calls to a regular phone, in fact) a few times and have never got a connection to a Thai mobile or landline where the Thai end was loud enough to hear clearly - although I think they could hear me OK most of the time. And, yes, I checked my audio set-up numerous times.

Yes you do have to pay the money for the connecting call, as I said above the cheapest way to do it is to get a phone card they usually offer an 020 7.... i.e. ordinary London connecting number and get your phone deal arranged to have free national calls as a part of the package that way you could be paying 2p a minute all up. I got my cards from the guys in my post above.

Yes you do have to pay the money for the connecting call, as I said above the cheapest way to do it is to get a phone card they usually offer an 020 7.... i.e. ordinary London connecting number and get your phone deal arranged to have free national calls as a part of the package that way you could be paying 2p a minute all up. I got my cards from the guys in my post above.

Thanks Spacebass. Went round and round the site you mentioned. Looks more expensive for calls to Thai mobiles, though. I still couldn't see which one offered access through 020(7) - which would interest me as I already have free 24-hour local/UK geographic calls package and I'm in London. Would you mind identifying the one you use for us?

You don't pay 2 charges. With Telesavers, for example, BT bills you at the stated rate, e.g. 1p per minute, and then sorts out the revenue with Telesavers. In effect you don't pay Telesavers for the call.

Scouse.

You don't pay 2 charges. With Telesavers, for example, BT bills you at the stated rate, e.g. 1p per minute, and then sorts out the revenue with Telesavers. In effect you don't pay Telesavers for the call.

Scouse.

Thanks, Scouse. That makes sense (hope it's true when I see the bill!). BTW, I think Telesavers is 2p per minute (any time) to both mobile & landline in Thailand. Used them before I knew about the others - 3 who charge 1p per minute any time irrespective of to mobile or landline. Looks good to me.

Scouse.

Thanks, Scouse. That makes sense (hope it's true when I see the bill!). BTW, I think Telesavers is 2p per minute (any time) to both mobile & landline in Thailand. Used them before I knew about the others - 3 who charge 1p per minute any time irrespective of to mobile or landline. Looks good to me.

Telesavers changed today ... 3p per minute to a Thai mobile from UK, but still 2p to a landline number. :o

totster :D

Edited by Totster

The following applies if you have a BT landline, other land lines or mobiles will probably be more expensive !

0845 is a local rate call - this means on a weekend it will be 1p a min, with a 5p connection charge - but if your call is for 5 mins or more then it includes the first 5 min calls. At other times 0845 numbers are 2p+ per min I think - check with your call provider.

Other numbers like 08448 and so on have a per min call charge determined by the number. When you call providers with this kind of number they will typically state the cost - "Welcome to TeleStunt - your calls will cost 1p per minute". Dont beleive this - check with customer service first - give them the number you want to call and they will tell you the per minute cost. You could also ask them about the connection charge.

If you have a BT line the cheapest wat to call Thai land and mobiles at the mo is to check the website :

And pick one of the companies at the top - ie oferring for 1p per min. Check with your call provider once you have the number on the costs, then call. Most of the providers listed will get there money from a share of the cash your call provider takes from you ie BT.

I dont know if this is still possible, but if a call provider to Thailand has an 0845 number, you may be able to add them to your friends and family. If you make this number your best friend then you get 20% off. This works for me and I get calls to Asia for .8p a min at weekends.

If you have cross network inclusive minutes on T-Mobile or O2, there is a way that you can call a mobile number and then call onto loads of other places - including Thailand land and mobile, using your inclusive minutes. Orange recently wised uo to this and are now charging for this number.

For further details on all the above look at :

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

Been using telesavers for about 8 months from UK and can confirm that the rates are as stated, so if your talking 20 minutes at 2p per minute your charged 40p  and I've called through:

BT

NTL

ONETEL

John

Sounds like proof of the pudding........... Thanks, John. :o

Been using telesavers for about 8 months from UK and can confirm that the rates are as stated, so if your talking 20 minutes at 2p per minute your charged 40p  and I've called through:

BT

NTL

ONETEL

John

Sounds like proof of the pudding........... Thanks, John. :D

K.W.has been using T.S. for sometime now but since their rate has gone all the way UP to 2 pence a minute she has swapped over to..

DialAround 1p/min

(08448617171)

and...

Dialwise 1p/min

(08448614747

and seems to be OK.

Cant understand why when Tele.S was doing so well on their old tariff they now do a "Thai" and increase their rates which results in...lost business. :D:o

Regarding the worries about actual charges...

Before I started using the numbers I checked the call charges on the BT and Telewest websites... they all checked out at the same rate advertised by Telesavers etc..

BT - "08" rates

Telewest - Call costs - PDF

Also, after checking the bill everything is ok... shows up as Special Svc on itemised

totster :o

BT

NTL

ONETEL

John

Sounds like proof of the pudding........... Thanks, John. :D

K.W.has been using T.S. for sometime now but since their rate has gone all the way UP to 2 pence a minute she has swapped over to..

DialAround 1p/min

(08448617171)

and...

Dialwise 1p/min

(08448614747

and seems to be OK.

Cant understand why when Tele.S was doing so well on their old tariff they now do a "Thai" and increase their rates which results in...lost business. :D:o

No I don't understand. But thanks for the new numbers saving £1.20 an hour to a mobile and 60p an hour to a landline all adds up when your calling LOS daily and for hours on end.

Again

Thanks for the new numbers, havn't tried them yet but can quickly look at my bills to confirm that 1p per minute is back in business. happy days!

• 3 years later...

In addition to the above, I have a Nokia N95 mobile phone. When this is in range of an Internet Wifi point it makes calls via voipdiscount instead of the sim. So my calls to anyone in Thailand are then free!

Chris

I use Skype as my long distance service when in the states. I can use speakers and a mic which allows me to type and talk hands free and i can use "PrettyMay" to record calls for listening later if needed and I can convert them to mp3 to send to my caller for reference. The quality is almost always perfect. I use it to call Thai mobile and home fones with "skype out" and skype direct too which is free. I have been using skype for two years and its wonderful and allows me to continue my stateside business from here. My usa customers have no idea that i am "out of country" I use it for conference calls with my usa staff and friends everwhere and sometimes on both voice and text chat. I have a skype in number in the us and it rings on my computer here in LOS. My PrettyMay answering machine pickup if I am not here. Stateside I can call forward my skype calls to my mobile but I have not tried it here yet.

Skypeeeeeeee :o