Wind Power

canopy

To summarize a thread about wind power in the Phuket forum one person was finally able to track down a source, try it apparently in a windy location (duh), and the blades immediately broke off making a useless piece of junk. Before closing the book on wind power in Thailand, are there any success stories or quality offerings? I wish to generate 10KwH/day off grid. Solar is out of the question, costing millions for even such a modest setup.

Duh, wind turbines have limits as to maximum allowable wind speed. The better turbines will feather the blades then their limit is reached. A proper site investigation needs to be performed before spending your money. As with most alternative energy sources, they only make sense when somebody is subsidizing the installation cost.

wind turbines have limits as to maximum allowable wind speed. The better turbines will feather the blades then their limit is reached.

Every product from windgen.net specifies a survival wind speed of 50m/s (111mph). So theoritically it would take a category 3 hurricane to destroy them, but in practice they failed to deliver. Regardless of where the fault lies, it seems it will be lurking to catch the next unsuspecting buyer. It is odd that for a technology more affordable than solar there is just one person known to date who has tried it.

My home in greece runs off grid on both wind and solar power since 6 years, imo its only the battery technology for storing the power which is the expencive part of it, This house runs as a normal house including things like washing machine,tv,microwave,computers...infact all the normal appliances plus a workshop where i use all manner of power tools including welding sets,

The wind tubine i use comes from burgey wind power http://www.bergey.com/ and although an american company i found the tubine itself was produced in china so thats where i bought it,

It often has to handle winds which gust over 100mph and manages well...it does,nt feather the blades but actualy turns sideways to the wind at a certain speed...i,ve noticed times when i looked on the controlers and the whole house was running from this turbine alone without taking power from the batterys, Its taken so many punishing storms until now...even lightning strikes but till now has never failed,

i found it to be a fantastic product, btw...i was in the biz of supplying and installing wind and solar for stand alone systems