Windows 7, English Support For Thai Retail

watboy

Vista finally died on me after crashing during one of the numerous auto updates. I took it as an opportunity to upgrade to windows 7. Picked up a retail version of Windows 7 home premium for 5300 baht. Salesman swore that it would be in english. The installer was all in Thai, muddled through... but now can't seem change display language. There is no option under display settings for it where it should be. Some googlefu claims that this feature is only available for ultimate edition? Any ideas anyone? How gotta go back and beat the panthip salesman otherwise...

I'm under the impression that you can only install the language packs on Ultimate or Enterprise versions. I have used both and the language packs will install. I assume that you have have looked at the optional updates to see if they are there. Maybe try sifting through Windows 7 forums..google it.

Edited by John45

Only the Win 7 Ultimate version has the language packs - try to change it, even though I think it will be difficult in Thailand. Try to find the saleman and tell him he lied to you and sold you a version without the langfuage packs.

Your key code should work for an English version. Try to borrow an English Home Premium disk and then use your key to validate it. As long as it is the same computer, I think it will work.

How to easily download and install Windows 7 Language Packs

I would not think that the language packs are limited to certain editions of Windows 7. You should be able to change the default language using the instructions provided in the link. I would venture to say that English is already pre-installed, but am not certain.

Only the Win 7 Ultimate version has the language packs - try to change it, even though I think it will be difficult in Thailand. Try to find the saleman and tell him he lied to you and sold you a version without the langfuage packs.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional and can change my language settings.

Edited by Rice_King

I found that link while googling before i posted. It states up front

"This feature is only available in Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate."

The MS knowledgebase states something similar. I'll see if i can get them to refund me an upgrade to ultimate, but thats another 3,000 baht.

I would not think that the language packs are limited to certain editions of Windows 7. You should be able to change the default language using the instructions provided in the link. I would venture to say that English is already pre-installed, but am not certain.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional and can change my language settings.

The MS knowledgebase states something similar. I'll see if i can get them to refund me an upgrade to ultimate, but thats another 3,000 baht.

Before you do, just make sure that the language file hasn't already been installed by following these steps:

1. Open Region and Language by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.jpg, clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Region and Language.
  2. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.
  3. Under Display language, look at the languages in the list.
    If the language you're trying to install is in the list, it's already on your computer.

Before you do, just make sure that the language file hasn't already been installed by following these steps:

1. Open Region and Language by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.jpg, clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Region and Language.
  2. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.
  3. Under Display language, look at the languages in the list.
    If the language you're trying to install is in the list, it's already on your computer.

Thats the thing, there is no settings at all listed under display language. The only thing thats on that tab is keyboard. The bottom half of that window where there's normally display language is completely empty. I did find a massive 30 step process to slipstream a local language pack, but it requires some regediting which i prefer not to do, as well as being a headache again for any future reinstalls. Apparantly, multiple language support is a feature reserved for enterprise and ultimate editions.

forums.mydigitallife.info/showpost.php?p=80057

Here's the massive workaround to install windows 7 any edition in any language you want. Apologies as i cannot post links yet.

Edited by watboy

I bought Windows 7 Professional from a retail shop at Fortune Plaza, Phra Ram 9, Bangkok.

It was packaged in a generic looking white box with black lettering.

Inside was a proper DVD type plastic case containing the Windows 7 DVD.

The package said the disk was an OEM System Builder Pack Intended for system builders ONLY.

For distribution only with a PC.

Not sure what all that means as that was what all the shops were selling.

There was a notice also that the software would only work on computers in certain Asian countries.

Does any of this sound familiar?

When I tried to install it myself all the default installer language was English.

I was upgrading from an unregistered XP version of Windows.

That may have been the reason it would not let me do an automatic install Upgrade or maybe it because my current system was not Vista.

The Custom installation forced me to use a built in Windows Easy Transfer to transfer all my Documents and Settings to a external hard drive.

This was because the Windows 7 installation process wipes out all those files on your hard drive.

If your system allowed the Upgrade then the files and settings are not wiped.

After Windows 7 is installed then you access the saved file to restore your documents and settings.

Since my computer was just a few months old I took it back to Pantip where I bought the machine and had them install Windows 7 for me so I would also get all the 'Perk' programs they installed as a new computer.

It took 3 hours and 300TB (cheap) and saved me the scare of restoring my system to working again.

I did the the files and settings restore myself. ( I took my external HD along with my PC).

Since your install was all in Thai, maybe there were some options missed or a step left out.

I thought I had read some place during the release of Windows 7 that the versions were all in English.

Edited by chanwit

Ok, there appears to be 3 SKU's of Windows7 Home premium in thailand. Thai Retail, SE Asia Retail, and OEM. Thai retail apparantly was just released, the salesman at ITCity in Panthip accidentally gave me Thai Retail instead of SE Asia retail. When I came back today, he knew exactly what the problem was and swapped me with the SE Asia edition, which was 600 baht cheaper. Was surprised at how friendly and helpful their customer service was, i will be shopping there again in the future. The difference between SE Asia and Thai edition appears to be that SE Asia is english only and must be activated in SE Asia, i assume verified via IP. The Thai edition, does not have activation restrictions, but does not have english language display. There is a rather convoluted method of installing it with english that i posted earlier for those of you happy with ISO's, slipstreaming and regedit. The OEM edition, requires an OEM Pre-installation Kit (OPK, available to registered system builders). I am sure the wizards of panthip have that all sorted out, but not sure if i personally would go to the effort to figure out an OPK work around to save 1600 baht. If you want to be able to change display language and activate it anywhere, it appears that the retail ultimate edition is the way to go. All the versions of Windows 7 in thailand appear to be full installs, versus vista to 7 upgrade options available in the US. All this compared to the USD 30 and 30minutes it took me to upgrade my mac to snow leopard. There must be a hundred SKU's for Windows7 worldwide, MS distribution at its best.

I bought Windows 7 Professional from a retail shop at Fortune Plaza, Phra Ram 9, Bangkok.

It was packaged in a generic looking white box with black lettering.

Inside was a proper DVD type plastic case containing the Windows 7 DVD.

The package said the disk was an OEM System Builder Pack Intended for system builders ONLY.

For distribution only with a PC.

Not sure what all that means as that was what all the shops were selling.

There was a notice also that the software would only work on computers in certain Asian countries.

Does any of this sound familiar?

When I tried to install it myself all the default installer language was English.

I was upgrading from an unregistered XP version of Windows.

That may have been the reason it would not let me do an automatic install Upgrade or maybe it because my current system was not Vista.

The Custom installation forced me to use a built in Windows Easy Transfer to transfer all my Documents and Settings to a external hard drive.

This was because the Windows 7 installation process wipes out all those files on your hard drive.

If your system allowed the Upgrade then the files and settings are not wiped.

After Windows 7 is installed then you access the saved file to restore your documents and settings.

Since my computer was just a few months old I took it back to Pantip where I bought the machine and had them install Windows 7 for me so I would also get all the 'Perk' programs they installed as a new computer.

It took 3 hours and 300TB (cheap) and saved me the scare of restoring my system to working again.

I did the the files and settings restore myself. ( I took my external HD along with my PC).

Since your install was all in Thai, maybe there were some options missed or a step left out.

I thought I had read some place during the release of Windows 7 that the versions were all in English.

I have Win 7 Pro OEM on my desktop. I bought a retail Win 7 Pro for my laptop mainly because the laptop is likely to be replaced long before the desktop.

That aside, the retail DVD was damaged and rather than wait for a replacement, I installed from the OEM disk and used the Key code from the retail version. It worked fine.

If you want to know what license you have installed, open a command line and type slmgr/dlv

The OEM edition, requires an OEM Pre-installation Kit (OPK, available to registered system builders). I am sure the wizards of panthip have that all sorted out, but not sure if i personally would go to the effort to figure out an OPK work around to save 1600 baht.

Main difference between OEM and Retail is that an OEM box comes with either 32- or 64-bit installation DVD and not both as the retail does, so you have to select which to buy (license works for both, it just only includes a single install DVD). The OEM installs just like the retail does from the DVD, in some OEM boxes there is also included a OPK DVD which allows shops/system builders to pre-install Windows on machines, like you know it from new computers where Windows is already installed, but it still lets you chose all the settings and complete the installation.

I installed the OEM Win 7 Pro on my old computer but on a new hard drive. I didn't need anything other than the OEM DVD. It worked fine and was verified by Microsoft as valid.

I installed the same OEM Win 7 Pro disk on my laptop but used the Key code from my retail version. It too worked fine and was verified genuine Microsoft. Both are 32 bit.

Edited by Gary A