Living Costs

We - 50years old Swiss couple - are planning to retire in Thailand in about 1 or 2 years from now. we are therefore looking for information about the monthly living costs for farangs in Phuket.

We guess about 50'000.- Baht per month would do - but appreciate to get figures from farangs already residing in Phuket to verify the amount needed.

Costs to include the upkeep of a small house, electricity, water-supply, food, other daily needs, etc. and also the possibility to buy farang-food, have a drink or food in a restaurant once in a while.

Additionally appreciate information about insurance for illness (incl. hospital) and accident.

Many thanks!

Marina

50,000 a month should be sufficient for a comfortable, but quiet life.

Health Insurance comes in several different levels.

Unless you plan to travel abroad, a local Thai policy will give you access

to the private hospitals, but without a massive premium.

Check out theBupa site.

10-20,000 baht per annum may be all you need for in patient care, and meet the

out patient bills youself, as they occur.

Many drugs are available at the pharmacy, without the additional doctors fee

and hospital mark up.

The policies generally cover accident as well, but note that BUPA will only pay 50%

if the accident is on a motorcycle.

I live alone in Bangkok with Bt76,000 monthly. It just doesn't seem to be enough.

I have heard many people's opinions about how much is enough. It really is a very personal thing and is different for everyone.

General rule of thumb is to double your estimate. I think it is a good rule and strongly advise you do that.

I live alone in Bangkok with Bt76,000 monthly.  It just doesn't seem to be enough.

I have heard many people's opinions about how much is enough.  It really is a very personal thing and is different for everyone.

General rule of thumb is to double your estimate.  I think it is a good rule and strongly advise you do that.

Thanks!

Do the Bt 76'000 monthly include an amount for the rent of a house or an appartment? (What is the amount you spend without such a rent?)

I live alone in Bangkok with Bt76,000 monthly.  It just doesn't seem to be enough.

I have heard many people's opinions about how much is enough.  It really is a very personal thing and is different for everyone.

General rule of thumb is to double your estimate.  I think it is a good rule and strongly advise you do that.

to live a totally western lifestyle and eating out at restuarants regularly, then 76K isn't enough. Plan on spending as much as you do at home to maintain this lifestyle.

On the other hand it is enough for a nice one bedroom apartment that is not on Sukhmvit/Silom, shopping at Thai supermarkets for most of your goods, plus eating Thai food from the stalls a couple of times a week.

My wife and I eat at home nearly all of our meals for 6000B/month. that is much less than in the US by about 4x. So stalls are not needed to keep food costs down if you cook.

If you have a drivers license, you can live out of the expensive areas and still get around by getting a Thai license and a car.

In Chiang Mai for example, homes are available for 5000B/month.

Phuket is probably a little more expensive than that though.

In general you will need some starting capital to live comfortably as you will want to buy TV, washer/dryer, maybe furniture, a car, etc, etc. After that, you could live on 50KB I would think.

But the advice above is a good general rule.

We always seem to need more, don't we ?

My girlfriend and me are living on an average of 100k/month in the middle of Sukhumvit in Bangkok, in a 'Suites' apartment complex with swimming pool, spa, fitness, etc. The apartment costs me (including electricity, water, etc) approximately 50k/month and the other 50k go into food, shopping, going out, cinema, etc. Couldn't complain. I could spend more, but the rest goes into the piggy bank :o

If you live somewhere not in the city center and can hold back on some expensive imported farang products, you can likely get through with 50k/month easily.

Edited by rainman

My girlfriend and me are living on an average of 100k/month in the middle of Sukhumvit in Bangkok, in a 'Suites' apartment complex with swimming pool, spa, fitness, etc. The apartment costs me (including electricity, water, etc) approximately 50k/month and the other 50k go into food, shopping, going out, cinema, etc. Couldn't complain. I could spend more, but the rest goes into the piggy bank :o

If you live somewhere not in the city center and can hold back on some expensive imported farang products, you can likely get through with 50k/month easily.

I'm waiting for the 10-20k/ month poverty packers with their pipe dreams to emerge. they are overdue. hope no one takes them seriously

I'm waiting for the 10-20k/ month poverty packers with their pipe dreams to emerge. they are overdue. hope no one takes them seriously

How much you need is pretty much depending on your lifestyle, a single male will spend more than a married couple in their age group.