What's Typical Price Of Thai Cow?

steve73

I've had a quick look through recent posts but cannot find anything relevant.

Does anyone have any idea of the typical price of a Thai cow, as the mother in law want to sell up her small herd (of 5)? I understand there's one old cow past breeding age (family pet?), one mature breeder (in calf), one soon ready to breed, one calf, and one young male soon ready to breed.

Also,since we live about 500km from MIL, we'll need to pay transport so an idea of the cost of this would be a help as well.

TIA,

3000 baht for a breeding aged heifer.. Your best bet is to go to an auction, from there you can better estimate local prices.

About 6 years ago I bought one for 6000Baht. Just sold all of the ones I had fetched 40000 Baht for 5 (mixed cow bull).

hi, i would just ask round the village, or get someone to ask for you, at the moment the price is low, or so ive brrn told, ive told papa to sell all his, there isnt any money in cows,the best time to buy them is rise time when they dont have anywere to put them, i would say a young cow at breeding age now would be worth 8 to 10k but maize farmer would no best, i paid 10 for one 2 years ago shes a beauty, more of a pet then anything, but she did have a hefer calf this year bless her,lol, i no i should of got a cat, easyer to look after, like the other poster says, if shes your motheringlaw wouldnt hurt her to give you it, youll be giving her plenty in the future,im one of the lucky ones here ive got great inlaws,never ask for anything, i still give them a treet now and again, i went to give papa 2k for taking a roof off the old house and putting a fence up for me, i had to really make him take it, bless him,so like i say im one of the lucky ones, if youve got good inlaws it makes all the differance, youre part of the family, take care to all, hope you all have a happy christmass and a great new year,may all your dreams come true, mine are weve got a 14month daughter and another one due in march, the land of dreams and happyness

I paid 3,000 baht each for 2 6 month old weaned calves a couple of months ago. Getting 7 buffalo for free this month, but the guy who is giving them to me paid 40,000 for the lot. Cows are pretty cheap right now as there is not much new grass coming up after a very dry rainy season.

I just sold 6 cows for 43K but 4 of them were pregnant. They were the normal brown ones rather than the larger white ones which I think are more expensive. The only reason I sold them was that the guy looking after them for us was selling all his to buy a tractor to concentrate on growing cassava.

Thanks for all the replies folks, quite a range there.

These are the larger white cows - the in-calf is a Brahman (by AI). I think the young male is the same type.

I don't fund MIL, but I now she sends the odd couple of k once in a while, so it's not as though i've paid already LOL.

Overall, given the distance, and the land we have (just 6 rai), that's not really suited for stock (i.e. no facilities and poor fences, etc), I think I'll suggest we pass on the offer, and suggest she simply sell them at her local market if she's serious about selling up.

Again, thanks for all the help.

PS. pj, we've already got loads of cats (somewhere between 5 & 7), 2 dogs, and a handful of chickens as pets,

a bit off topic, but........ i just want to point out that in many thai families, family members DO pay for services/property from other family members: buying a cow would be one of those things; help when someone is sick or needy is one thing, but business is business when fields, crops, and livestock are concerned.

even family members that came to help plant peppers got money or produce in kind at the end of the planting day. the sister in law's car was 'rented' by us (actually we got to use if for 'free' since we help finance it when we can, from overseas) and other married sisters/brother also 'pay' when using it (filling tank, repairs etc). only mother and father dont need to 'help' with the car. same same for the crops (cassava) and peppers. the parents get free help from their children, the siblings buy/sell from each other. i think it is fair for big ticket items, and prevents cases of 'i gave u my best stud bull, and all u gave me was a few lousy layers' kind of scenario.

just my two cents about selling within the family...

bina

israel

• 1 year later...

Anybody care to update on the current prices of cattle? My girlfriend's mum needs some quick cash and is looking to offload one of her Isaan cows. I don't have any details of breed but assuming one was being sold for beef at her peak, what would be an average selling price? And also, what's the going rate for a breeding aged heifer?

Thanks

is it only me?????

if you are really her son-in-law, what's keeping her from giving you the cow.....???

Me and my in laws have a great relationship and if I was wanting to buy some cows, I would not allow them or request they give them to me. As if I was selling something I would expect to be paid in full for that sale, I would not give it to family for free. When the wife's family dose some work for us, I insist on paying them a decent wage, at first they would refused to take the money. I told them if they did not I would not ask them to help me in the future.

That was 6 years ago and we all get along very well, I also am one of the few lucky ones that has great in-laws, not just the MIL & FIL but all the family.

I refuse to take advantage of people, just because I am financially more well off then they are!

Also I do not support them, they have borrowed money from me that is promptly repaid when the rice is harvested.

Cheers::)

Edited by kikoman

• 3 months later...

I am interested in buying a young buffalo as my misses wants one and I think it would be good at eating the overgrowth around my place. I understand a buffalo will grow on this stuff but not a cow. i would not mind either but would want to sell if they ever grow. I too am interested in prices for either. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry i have no idea of an age to buy at so advice on that would be appreciated too

Cheers

• 3 months later...

how much to buy calves initially and how much can they be sold for at market once fully grown? Just a rough estimate would be great along with a guide of feeding costs and timeline before they can be sold and net profit if any.

Thanks.

how much to buy calves initially and how much can they be sold for at market once fully grown? Just a rough estimate would be great along with a guide of feeding costs and timeline before they can be sold and net profit if any.

Thanks.

It's a bit like buying a car. How much is a car worth? It can't be answered unless you know what you want. A mini or a Merc. It's just the same with cattle. You could probably buy an unweaned calf for a thousand baht but heed this warning almost all of the poster's on here have ended up loosing money after you account for time and feed.

But if you have the money and the bottle to invest good money into the right stock, then you could reap the rewards

wize words bob, I want dairy cows i just brought one the other day for 10k one and a half years old i think its a year old but no problem still very very cheap

i am raising a dairy bull calf to see if there is any money in it or not, its been quite easy, but the growth has been slow cost was 700 baht at a week old sack of milk replacer 1,000 baht. would I do any more, No not till we are milking our own girls and then i am not sure as i can sell the milk and make 10k per head a month , if i rase a two bulls for 3 months there is 30k they have drunk

so no ill buy milk cows make money then buy some good imported beef...

how much is a cow ? whatever its worth to you