Uk Settlement Fiancee Visa ,timing Of Supporting Docs & Interveiw

hi guys, i am British and live in UK. My thai GF is applying for(fiancee) settlement visa to come to UK .I will be sponsoring her as I have good job and my own home and she has no job or money. We intend marrying in UK around August next year. She has already stayed with me in UK earlier this year for a few months on a tourist Visa. As I understand it the application has? to be made on line (only) from her in Thailand. We are keen for her to come to UK asap and have a couple of questions regarding timing everything to best advantage. I will be coming to see her again in Thailand early next year, and it would be nice to get the application 'in the system' soon as possible, rather than her wait for me to visit her again and start the the process then.

Q1 How long after submitting the online form does she have to get the supporting docs to Regent House? (My decree absolute will be with me around the end of this month ).

Q2 Do I need to make/proove a marriage booking for the period she will be in uk with my supporting docs ?

Q3 How long after the form is submitted and docs sent in is the interveiw made? Is there a 'window' we can choose a date from?

Thanks in advance... Roland

Q1. She can either submit an online application and at the same time make an appointment to submit her supporting documents and have her biometrics taken; or she can complete a paper application and simply turn up at the VAC and wait. See How do I apply?

Don't forget that as a fiance visa is a settlement visa she will need a TB certificate.

Q2. You cannot make a marriage booking until she is in the UK as both partners have to attend the registry office to do so. However, I would include brief details of your plans (date, location etc.) in your sponsor's letter.

Q3. The ECOs at the embassy try to make as many decisions as possible without an interview. In fact they will only interview if there is some doubt about the application but not enough doubt to refuse. So prepare properly (feel free to ask here for any advice you need).

Applications are usually processed in the order they are received, and if an interview is required the applicant will be given the next available slot on a 'first come, first served' basis. So how long the application process takes depends mainly upon demand. It could be a few days, it might be up to three months.

You may find SET01- Fiancé(e)s useful.

Q1. She can either submit an online application and at the same time make an appointment to submit her supporting documents and have her biometrics taken; or she can complete a paper application and simply turn up at the VAC and wait. See How do I apply?

Don't forget that as a fiance visa is a settlement visa she will need a TB certificate.

Q2. You cannot make a marriage booking until she is in the UK as both partners have to attend the registry office to do so. However, I would include brief details of your plans (date, location etc.) in your sponsor's letter.

Q3. The ECOs at the embassy try to make as many decisions as possible without an interview. In fact they will only interview if there is some doubt about the application but not enough doubt to refuse. So prepare properly (feel free to ask here for any advice you need).

Applications are usually processed in the order they are received, and if an interview is required the applicant will be given the next available slot on a 'first come, first served' basis. So how long the application process takes depends mainly upon demand. It could be a few days, it might be up to three months.

Thanks for that. TBH we would prefer to use paper application form (weve filled one in already in pencil) but the lady at regent we spoke to told us all settlement visas have to be filled in using the online application now, so im not sure now.

-Yes shes getting the TB medical.

-That Set 1 is very useful ,I hadnt seen that before.

Best Regards Roland

Thanks for that. TBH we would prefer to use paper application form (weve filled one in already in pencil) but the lady at regent we spoke to told us all settlement visas have to be filled in using the online application now, so im not sure now.

-Yes shes getting the TB medical.

-That Set 1 is very useful ,I hadnt seen that before.

Best Regards Roland

roland, we did ours last week and did it via the paper version not online. we did not encounter any problems at all and the settlement was done in 1 working day

good luck.

Crikey thats realy quick. I was expecting upto 3 months so maybe average 6-8 weeks. Did you just take everything down to Regent house ? Did you need interveiw?

hi roland,

yes all evidence (7 kilos) was submitted at regent house. i exclosed too much really probably overkill but wanted to be safe than sorry and no interview.

1 working day must be a record. if you ahve any questions happy to assist. just ask mate

One other slightly unrelated question, does anyone know if she can learn to drive over here during her fiancee settlement visa , or has she got got to wait until sfter were married ?...thanks

As a fiance visa is a type of settlement visa, then yes; she can learn to drive as soon as she gets her provisional licence.

Although, knowing how long the DVLA sometimes take, you'll probably be married before her licence arrives!

BTW, if she has a Thai licence then she can drive with that for a maximum of 12 months after her arrival.

She hasnt got a DL in thailand, but as its going to be a month or so before she comes over, I think i will get her to pass learn drive and get licence in thailand . She wants a mercedes SLK, new in white.......haha that will have to wait..a 15 year old Nissan Micra in red I told her . ....probably compromise on a white yaris 3 year old.

Thanks again guys.

BTW, if she has a Thai licence then she can drive with that for a maximum of 12 months after her arrival.

Is that the same for somebody here on a visit visa?

The rules vary dependant on which country issued the licence, but most foreign licence holders can use their foreign licence to drive in the UK for up to 12 months from their entry to the UK.

For residents this period starts from their first entry as a resident.

For visitors it starts from their last entry.

For full details see Driving in GB on a foreign licence.