Thai Govt' Blocks CNN, Yahoo Finance, Facebook And Other American Sites

webfact

Why? Because the country is built on an old fashioned class system which rewards people based on their heritage and not on their skills or merits. These people are desperately trying to hang on to their power, by brainwashing their citizens, forcing them to sing national anthem all the time, and spreading propaganda and regulating news. The national curriculum teaches normal Thais that they are a superior race and any thinking outside the box is un patriotic and frowned upon. This gives working class Thais a strong patriotic feeling and a sense of well being.

The rich know this is rubbish since they educate their children overseas.... meanwhile the middle class keep quiet since the only way to survive is to imitate the rich, and enjoy the privileges their mediocre education allows them, the feel respected by the poor and have some power over them.

>>> expect the singing (ever been to a football or whatever match, they also sing) USA : thinking they are the best (stupid people who hardly can speak or understand more than 1 language), France (same as US, no need to learn another language as they are the best), Israel - the chosen one's... japanese... etc

Spot on. The only difference between Thailand and the "developed" nations in the world is that Thailand never had a long period of blood letting or a series of violent wars that laid waste to everything that forced introspective self criticism over its own nationalistic belief system. European nations were some of the most arrogant, nationalist, and imperialist in the world until after WW2 when people were forced to change their views after so much death.

Edited by wintermute

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KSC? cmd? tracert? English please!

I think your information could be helpful if I could only understand your lingo.

Thanks.

Hi FreedomDude,

go to your DOS window START--- Programs ---Accessories ----Command Prompt type in tracert www.whatever.com and you will see the route to the IP address

you can also download a FREE PINGPLOTTER HERE a very usefull program that traces the IP adress you want.

…Anyway, be under no illusions, all internet traffic through Thai ISPs is already proxied, logged and filtered. Some ISP do this better than others, but this is a requirment since 2008. The law (Computer Crimes Act B.E.2550) forces your ISPs need to keep a lot of details about every page you access from Thailand (URL, timestamp, ip source, login ID/phone number/etc.), and retain it for a lot of time.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Yesterday I stumbled - purely by accident your honour - on that video of you-know-who in her birthday suit. Astonishingly, this was via wikipedia - hardly secret agent super-hacker stuff. If they can't manage to find that and block it, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over authorities checking on what ISPs are allegedly logging.

No problem for me here at all at Chiang Mai. for Yahoo Finance, Flickr, Facebook and CNN.

Fot the Thai Immigration website.

The Webmaster should go to all the webpages and clear the unwanted scripts. The report to Google to get the site back...

Edited by nasa

It's about time the immigration site got blocked, it's been full of viruses since may this year. I use satellite internet from singapore, a hel_l of a lot cheaper than thailand, and have full access to everything. It's amazing twitter does not get stopped as well, because the PM and Takki use it to communicate.

Interesting can you elaborate on this a bit more? "satellite internet from singapore"

There other things that could go wrong besides what listed above. For example, all large ISP run web cache farms to try to optimize usage over their international links and improve user response time. When you open www.hotmail.com, the page you get most likley did not come from a hotmail server somewhere one the web, but for a local copy cached somewhere by your ISP. It is not terribly uncommon to see some of the servers on a farm to go out of synch.

Also, it could just be that some well-meaning staff tried to add a redirect to a well-wishing page and ended up messing some sites (what happens, for example, when you try to access any website from an hotel and are instead redirected to a page where you need to log-in or pay for your inetrnet access). Might not necessarily have been done with 'malicious' intent.

Anyway, be under no illusions, all internet traffic through Thai ISPs is already proxied, logged and filtered. Some ISP do this better than others, but this is a requirment since 2008. The law (Computer Crimes Act B.E.2550) forces your ISPs need to keep a lot of details about every page you access from Thailand (URL, timestamp, ip source, login ID/phone number/etc.), and retain it for a lot of time.

This is the most intelligent (and correct) post on this thread so far. Basically every page you access will go through a farm of Squid proxies/caches. Apart from the caching, it also means the government can block sites at the drop of a hat. The downside is that everything you do goes through a big filter which slows things down (even with the caching), especially if the farm is not sized correctly, or its capacity is not kept in step with growth. Welcome to the allegedly free country of Thailand!

The fact that the government cuts the freedom of mature citizens by blocking websites is a practice one would expect in the former Sovjet Union, North Korea, Birma and China.

Thailand means the country of free people. By no way it is like that! The majority of people in power is very narrow minded and what they don't understand is that in the real free countries the number of crimes, like rape and other crimes the Thai government presumes it's under the influence of internet, is much lower than in the countries where internetsites are blocked.

Why in a beautiful country as Thailand are there so much stupid leaders?

Why? Because the country is built on an old fashioned class system which rewards people based on their heritage and not on their skills or merits. These people are desperately trying to hang on to their power, by brainwashing their citizens, forcing them to sing national anthem all the time, and spreading propaganda and regulating news. The national curriculum teaches normal Thais that they are a superior race and any thinking outside the box is un patriotic and frowned upon. This gives working class Thais a strong patriotic feeling and a sense of well being.

The rich know this is rubbish since they educate their children overseas.... meanwhile the middle class keep quiet since the only way to survive is to imitate the rich, and enjoy the privileges their mediocre education allows them, the feel respected by the poor and have some power over them.

What is the problem by being born with a silver spoon in your mouth???

Maybe just a lot of jealousy from the others.... Working class heroes (sic!): get a life... if it is not too late for you :)

Gotta agree with LazyG, not all well healed people are actually HEELS,

as is so often implied by many angry less advantaged people.

Certainly some children of the well to do are total boors,

and many others just get tarred with that same brush,

and are really kind friendly and down to earth.

I haven't had any problems assessing any websites over the last few days/hours/minutes. No problem accessing CNN, Facebook, Yahoo, and about a half dozen other web sites I saw in posts that people said they could no longer reach. I use JI-NET DSL over a TOT phone line with Norton software firewall and antivirus here Bangkok. Internet Operatons normal for me.

Edited by Pib

seems nobody here has the idea that the government doesnt block any websites but single IP adresses from reaching them of some users they dont like`?

much work but possible!

TAKE CARE GEORGE :)

my internetconnection is shiite due to the constantly powercuts which concerns me much more. Costs me 3 Routers 2 Powersupplies and a Flatscreen over

the past two years....and YES i am using an UPS and thats just the computerstuff.....a TV a fridge and a patlom waved farewell too......THANKS THAILAND POWERSUPPLY

I still ROFL when I think about what they were talking about 6 years ago...PHUKET THE ASIAN INTERNET HUB NO 1 ....just DREAMS like most the bigheads

come up with :D

That's it MICT,block those sites from the US.Once a Third World coutry,always a Third World country.And the Immigration website can't even clean up their IT mess-LAUGHABLE.Once a .......... you get the idea.

seems nobody here has the idea that the government doesnt block any websites but single IP adresses from reaching them of some users they dont like`?

much work but possible!

my internetconnection is shiite due to the constantly powercuts which concerns me much more. Costs me 3 Routers 2 Powersupplies and a Flatscreen over

the past two years....and YES i am using an UPS and thats just the computerstuff.....a TV a fridge and a patlom waved farewell too......THANKS THAILAND POWERSUPPLY

I still ROFL when I think about what they were talking about 6 years ago...PHUKET THE ASIAN INTERNET HUB NO 1 ....just DREAMS like most the bigheads

Google had a hand in Firefox development before they came out with Chrome and will continue to support Firefox at least for two more years. Firefox does block malicious sites based on Google data which is also used the same way in Chrome. Not a bad thing in any way really. 

Try Opera browser -The Norwegians may not always know who to give the Nobel peace prize to but they know how to build an excellent browser. Yes the Swedes give out most of the Nobel awards but the Norsk decide the peace prize.

This thread must be generating decent ad revenue for this website..........

I always thought we needed a source to quote with the news?

So as I can't find anthing on this anywhere am I right in saying........

Thai Visa Dot Com is breaking this news.........

So we could say it's official that "Thai Visa Dot Com accuses Thai government of Blocking US sites in retaliation for marking their immigration site as harmful."

Has this story been reported in any media other than Thai Visa?

much work but possible!

Make sure your Earth is grounded and that you are receiving the correct voltage, no way powercuts should lead to that many failures, I must have pulled the power cable out and in 500 odd times on my router (no on/off or reset switch) and its fine.

Seems like every month someone posts a "THAILAND IS BLOCKING THE INTERNET" type posts, each time all these blocked sites seem to work perfectly for me on my bog standard connection.

This thread is a BS. Why did the government wants to block these sites. Where is the source of information? Maybe there is something wrong with your internet connection and not the blocking issues. I can access those site no problem. Maybe you are using a Chinese proxy. LOL

2-55.jpg

Tin Foil Hats Proven Ineffective

A recent study at MIT produced alarming results which throw the security of every paranoid person's thoughts into question.

It seems that the tin-foil hat– often the brain's only line of information defense– is ineffective for the task of blocking government-controlled frequencies. In fact, in some cases, these aluminum anti-intrusion devices actually amplify the radio waves.

Of course, this is all assuming the government isn't manipulating this, to destroy the our confidence in the protective powers of tin-foil…

From the study's web page: http://www.damninteresting.com/tin-foil-ha...ven-ineffective

1-872.jpg

^^"It's not me, it's the paranoid ppl, they're after me"...^^

:D

Are you sure about that? THEY have not gotten to me yet and so my hat seems to be working just fine  :D

LOL! (esp at the avg paranoid TV sheep- pictured above- but at least this khrap seems to pay the bills;)

Must be like shooting fish in a barrel to get 'page impressions' from this flock

baaaaaaa

:)

Edited by baht&sold