Are You A Quiet/noisy Person?

BBQueen

It usually amuses but sometimes annoys me at how ignorant some folks can be about their noise quotients, as if they need to crash their way through life to make a statement. I refer to everything from slamming doors and bashing things about to shouting for no reason and playing music/tv at high decibels just because you can. I find this behaviour rude and insensitive. What do you think?

In Thailand :) noise comes with the territory.

People get freaked out by the sound of nothing so I am told...apparently it's deafening.

For me, nothing says you are in a big city like Bangkok more than 2-stroke motorbikes, poor taste ring tones and loudspeakers at every shopping mall.

It's so bad that I now find myself talking out loud as I type. Go figure.

My ability to handle excessive volume has changed since I moved here. It used to drive me insane how much constant noise there is in Bangkok, but aside from the dogs, (my only Achilles heel now), I've developed a "meh" attitude about most of the rest of it. This is a city for the hearing impaired!

Geronition,

Any tips for the noisy Dogs?

new nieghbour thinks barking at all hours is acceptable.. I'm thinking euthanasia for dogs is looking acceptable...

We had a problem about a year ago with strays fighting outside our house. I wasted a lot of money on a shitty airsoft gun - it was probably less effective than throwing damp tissue at them. I ended up chasing the bastards up and down the street with a pick axe handle. I only ever managed to catch one - and then only a glancing blow - but they went. Someone told me that firecrackers worked well but if it's dogs in your neighbour's house, that might all be a bit provocative.

Geronition,

new nieghbour thinks barking at all hours is acceptable.. I'm thinking euthanasia for dogs is looking acceptable...

We had a problem about a year ago with strays fighting outside our house. I wasted a lot of money on a shitty airsoft gun - it was probably less effective than throwing damp tissue at them. I ended up chasing the bastards up and down the street with a pick axe handle. I only ever managed to catch one - and then only a glancing blow - but they went. Someone told me that firecrackers worked well but if it's dogs in your neighbour's house, that might all be a bit provocative.

I would think the fire crackers would be noisier than the dogs. :)

The key to get dogs to stop barking is to remove the source of what's causing them to bark. You do the math mate. :D

I would think the fire crackers would be noisier than the dogs.

Well, the idea is that you use them once - or maybe twice - and the dogs get scared and fuc_k off. You don't use them every night. I though that was clear.

The key to get dogs to stop barking is to remove the source of what's causing them to bark. You do the math mate.

A lot of the time, that's just the world. How does the maths work out for that?

Dont like the noisy music and stuff..like most folks. Always carry foam earplugs. But, would rather have bad karaoke etc than yobs smashing bottles and being rowdy after a night at the pub. Or people having a go at each other in the street and swearing. Sure it also depends where you live of course. But living in slap bang central London before i moved here and the noise pollution that produced, i can live with the level here.

I would think the fire crackers would be noisier than the dogs.

Well, the idea is that you use them once - or maybe twice - and the dogs get scared and fuc_k off. You don't use them every night. I though that was clear.

The key to get dogs to stop barking is to remove the source of what's causing them to bark. You do the math mate.

Easy mate, just taking the piss regarding the firecrackers. :)

Serious about the dogs source of annoyance. Generally speaking our neighbors mutts only make a fuss when some guy collecting scrap / garbage strolls into the soi. If we can stop these guys from coming up and down the soi in the middle of the night, the mutts will sleep like babies. Unlikely.

However, that all being said, the dogs do their job - to warn of strangers.

Sorry.

Well, it varies on the dogs. Some only bark when there's an immediate threat but some bark at absolutely everything. We've got one about 200 metres away from us - close enough to hear but not close enough to be a problem - which barks constantly every night, all night. Trees, frogs, the wind, someone driving down the road half a kilometre away, leaves falling. Pretty much everything which it can sense makes it bark. As I said, it's far enough away for it not to be a problem but if it was next door, it would have come to a sticky end by now.

Most Thais are noise resistant, no problem for them, a non issue here. I have seen people sleeping at the simultaneous most unbelievable loud, hot, smelly, crowded, uncomfortable places thinkable. Actually loudness is something positive for many Thais. Being exuberant loud is a sign of having a real good time.

In the South people even are yelling at each other during normal conversation like the interlocutor would be on the next hill.

You can never avoid noise. Except at a Penthouse on a large skyscraper or in the middle of your own huge piece of land or

post-33720-1260777375_thumb.jpg

Sorry.

Well, it varies on the dogs. Some only bark when there's an immediate threat but some bark at absolutely everything. We've got one about 200 metres away from us - close enough to hear but not close enough to be a problem - which barks constantly every night, all night. Trees, frogs, the wind, someone driving down the road half a kilometre away, leaves falling. Pretty much everything which it can sense makes it bark. As I said, it's far enough away for it not to be a problem but if it was next door, it would have come to a sticky end by now.

In my area it's usually territorial. A younger dog will start barking at any unknown other dog in the vicinity to try and boost it's status (I guess?), then quiets down after it has lost a couple of fights or gained a couple of fights. Or it could be mating season? I'm just glad that we're not in the season for the 3AM howling sessions that usually go on in the rainy season. (knock on wood)

Interesting replies, but I was asking about you personally. :) ie, are you controlled about how you do things. I have friends who complain about other people's noise, but they themselves bash doors shut, have the TV on full volume, shout instead of walking closer to talk. No matter! I loved living in the Thai jungle but wow! You hear stuff from miles away. My home here in Canuckland is so quiet. Small street but only a few blocks from shopping, cafes, eateries, library, theatre. I went to Thailand expecting tranquility and found the reverse. The worst was sitting between two ladies jabbering on a songthaew.

Interesting replies, but I was asking about you personally. :) ie, are you controlled about how you do things. I have friends who complain about other people's noise, but they themselves bash doors shut, have the TV on full volume, shout instead of walking closer to talk. No matter! I loved living in the Thai jungle but wow! You hear stuff from miles away. My home here in Canuckland is so quiet. Small street but only a few blocks from shopping, cafes, eateries, library, theatre. I went to Thailand expecting tranquility and found the reverse. The worst was sitting between two ladies jabbering on a songthaew.

wait till you get on a lift here at lunch time mate.

'Gerontion' date='2009-12-14 14:45:55' I would think the fire crackers would be noisier than the dogs.

I found that throwing water on them worked just fine , 3 or 4 dowsings and they seem to think twice about more than a growl , try a water cannon for the fleet of foot , sorry , paw .

i went to MBK a while back, and my foreign friend said he was waiting in the bowling place (same level as the cinemas)

once i got inside the bowling alley, had to drag my friend out, and head to the next level before I could say hello to him :) it was THAT loud. I dont know how people manage to do anything in that kind of noise. every little fastfood place had their own music blasting to compete with whatever was playing next door (we are talking perhaps 40 or so shops next to each other?) and the central sound system

but the worse was inside the bowling alley itself. as loud as a disco....possibly worse.

That reminds of Soi 2 in Patty. Don't know how it is now, but 20 years ago there was a Rock band with loud amplifiers and drums playing at one beer bar and only a few meters away at the next beer bar there was another Rock band playing and only another few meters away from that... :)

Edited by Birdman

Village dogs do my head in. The music I can deal with.

As for Thais being noise resistant, I remember travelling on a bus (again) back from BKK in the night time to

the noise of bottles clinking away. Luckily enough it was for the last 2hrs of the journey.

It's difficult to answer the question I think. But in general I would say I'm a quite person.

I hate loud noise in public places because I feel degraded and belittled. No-one has asked my permission to pollute my hearing and take over my very mental processes. I find it grossly insulting to have 5 different noises played at me when I am at Tescos. It is the same as if someone blew cigarette smoke in my face. It is an invasion of my personal space, and is utterly inconsiderate of my feelings.

Traditionally, noise has been used to imbalance, disrupt, upset and degrade other people. Even to brainwash them. Whereas silence is usually linked with spirituality, peace and balance. Do we really hate each other as much as our noise levels suggest ?

That reminds of Soi 2 in Patty. Don't know how it is now, but 20 years ago there was a Rock band with loud amplifiers and drums playing at one beer bar and only a few meters away at the next beer bar there was another Rock band playing and only another few meters away from that... :)

Yes I remember soi 2 beer bars in those days, Yut's bar was where we used to drink and the band was quite good until the neighbouring three bars started up their live music then it was time to move on. I think it's pretty much the same now except there's less bars due to economic attrition. Last time I was up that way I dropped in to see how the place was faring and it looked very sad and dilapidated, so not that much had changed.

I class myself as a very quiet person and select my entertainment venues accordingly. Music should be loud enough to hear but not so loud as to prevent conversation. Sadly this kind of place is rarer than rocking horse sh*t these days.

Street noise is something we have no control over and it's the smallest vehicles, motorbikes, that seem to always make the loudest noise. It was the same when I was a lad in the UK, speed was directly proportional to noise created. So the Thais are not so different.

Geronition,

Not the dog's fault.....euthanise the neighbour!