Transferring Ipod Back To Computor For Back-up - What Software?

xen

I want to back up my iTunes on my iPod because one day my IPod will die as all iPods do and i will loose my collection that i will find it difficult to replace. I need the appropiate software to do this. I recently went to Pantip and i couldn't find anything there, so i will have to download the software .

I need some recomendations as to the best and most reliable software to do this. Being a Cheap Charlie I would perfer Freeware but my collection is valuable so i am also after the best software to do the job.

search for iPhoneBrowser. Can't remember where I downloaded it from, still have it on my laptop:

SetupiPhoneBrowser.1.52.exe 503kB

It shows the content of the iPod, which can be copied back to your computer. The only drawback is that all files on the iPod are renamed the something like 56F7B.mp3, but the actual songname is still available inside the mp3 tags.

Works fine for my iPod Touch, might work the same for any other iPod model.

I'm obviously low-tech in relation to i-Tunes/i-Pod and missing something.

I thought that when you download a song from a store or from a CD etc onto your computer and thence to your i-Pod a file is left on your PC. Why would you need to back-up your i-Pod on your PC again? The last time my i-Pod was stolen it seemed easy enough to reload the new one from my PC.

I'm obviously low-tech in relation to i-Tunes/i-Pod and missing something.

I thought that when you download a song from a store or from a CD etc onto your computer and thence to your i-Pod a file is left on your PC. Why would you need to back-up your i-Pod on your PC again? The last time my i-Pod was stolen it seemed easy enough to reload the new one from my PC.

True, but people do lose their PC or suffer a catastrophic disk crash. You can (and should) back up your iTunes database on your PC (to an external disk or even some DVD's) in case you do lose your PC or your disk crashes. Then you can "legally" recover your music. Apple does not want you to go from the iPod to your PC for obvious reasons.

You can actually copy from the iPod to the PC if you view the iPod as an external disk, but it is a complicated and laborious process. Thanks to those folks recommending software to do it, because it sure is useful.

I went through this a few months back. It wasn't particularly easy, the renaming of the files was the tricky part. The file names come back when you put them on itunes, but I actually wanted to store them on USB sticks.

Made me crazy(er) for about a day.

I am a PC user.

You can do it for free if you want and here i show...

open my computer on the file menue go to tools>>folder options then view click on show hidden files and folders>>

Double click the ipod in my computer then go to hidden folder(i think its called ipod control) in their should be a music folder with weird folder names like f12 f3 etc that i s your ipod music so copy that back to your hard drive....

If you want to get the folder and file names back to normal then create a new itunes clean database to do this then change the old itunes folder to itunes1 then reopen itunes this will create a new itunes database go to preferences>>advanced make sure the keeps itunes organised is ticked then add the whole of the music folder you just copied this will rename all the folders and files back to the originale name in the actual folders itsslef..

Once you have done this close itunes go back to music folder and delet the new itunes folder making sure that the music has been copied to another location rename the itunes1 folder back to itunes and open up itunes again and it as was b4 you started..

Vey long winded way but if you dont want to spend on software then here is a solution