Visa For Driving Licence

Ok, i am sure this question has been asked many many times over, this time it has a twist...

I currently live in Bangkok and have done for over 5 years, however i work in Laos as FIFO. Therefore i enter Thailand on a tourist visa, stay for 2 weeks then go back to work again for a few weeks.

I do not hold any driving licence, i wish to apply for a thai driving licnece and take the driving test.

I obviously cannot do this on a Tourist visa so can anyone advise what visa i would be able to apply for in order to apply for a thai driving licence?

I have been told that i will need a residence certificate which i can easily get from the British Embassy.

Can i get a business visa or is there any other way around this?

Many thanks in advance for any assitance offered.

I got my Thai driving license last year on a Tourist visa from Laos.

The testing station was in rural Isaan and have only a handful of foreigners applying each year so maybe this is why they gave me a license.

I have been told you can't get a license on a tourist visa but I must be the exeption to the rule.

A tourist Visa is a 60 day visa that you get at the embassies in Lao. At the present they are free. I thank you are confusing the 30 day upon arrival stamp as a visa which it is not and will not be excepted for a driving license.

I got a mulptiple entry tourist visa from laos for free and got my driving license with this visa.

I only found out you couldn't obtain a license with this visa after I got it. :)

A tourist Visa is a 60 day visa that you get at the embassies in Lao. At the present they are free. I thank you are confusing the 30 day upon arrival stamp as a visa which it is not and will not be excepted for a driving license.

I got a mulptiple entry tourist visa from laos for free and got my driving license with this visa.

I only found out you couldn't obtain a license with this visa after I got it. :)

The legal requirement is for the applicant to be the holder of a Non-Immigrant visa and to have a residential address confirmed by his Embassy or Immigration.

The legal requirement is for the applicant to be the holder of a Non-Immigrant visa and to have a residential address confirmed by his Embassy or Immigration.

That is what I had to show when I got my car & motorbike licences at Nang Rong less than 2 weeks ago. I got the residence certificate from Chok Chai Immigration Office.

I got my own 2 years ago, and so already did the renewal part, everything in BKK. I cannot be sure (TiT) everything has to be done the same way, but when I did it, they asked for:

• "Prof of residency" - some embassies can do that when you have a "real" address in Thailand,
  • and a valid international driving license - Is yours still valid after so long?

In short, no one ever ask for any visa.

Good luck.

That is what I had to show when I got my car & motorbike licences at Nang Rong less than 2 weeks ago. I got the residence certificate from Chok Chai Immigration Office.

Did you have to pay bt500 for that. Someone on another forum is saying that he had to pay bt500 + bt50 for postage as they had to apply to BKK for it?

This is Chok Chai, he was talking about

Edited by jimbeam1

I got my own 2 years ago, and so already did the renewal part, everything in BKK. I cannot be sure (TiT) everything has to be done the same way, but when I did it, they asked for:

• "Prof of residency" - some embassies can do that when you have a "real" address in Thailand,
  • and a valid international driving license - Is yours still valid after so long?

In short, no one ever ask for any visa.

Good luck.

Prof or Res.. Generally (TIT) this form is done with some things like work permit of res car which is beyond the need for a DL. Just bring a copy of you rental paper or house paper to an immi office and they give you a form. Its free and I got two copies. Had to submit one for a new car purchase and to get a new style DL. My thai lawyer said it is better to have the new one v the old paper, pic and laminate! I have a goooooood color copier and the car guy accepted a copy but the DL lady spotted it after holding it to the light and looking at an angle to see if the official stamps we of different ink/texture.

That's the nut shell on that one!

Any particular reason why an international drivers license wouldn't work? You should be able to get one in BKK on any type of visa and you are allowed to drive in Thailand with it....

You have to be the holder of your current, valid homeland license to get an International Permit. I think you will find that you are unable to drive in Thailand using the International Permit alone or at all.

Current report from the drivers license office in Pattaya is that they do need a non immigrant visa for your first application.

Your extension does not need a visa at all, only a paper stating your address (from immigration or your embassy). However, only if holding a non immigrant visa you will be issued the 5 year license, any other visa you'll only get a 1 year extension.

As of a few weeks ago, explained to me by the staff member going over the paperwork of each applicant before you go in.

Might have already changed, or might only be so on odd days and not on even days. You never know here :)

The same member also stated a work permit/yellow house book is not allowed as proof of residence, even though they are, they make their laws as they go along here...

Did you have to pay bt500 for that. Someone on another forum is saying that he had to pay bt500 + bt50 for postage as they had to apply to BKK for it?

Yes, I had to pay 500 baht. I took my application form to Chok Chai, who then faxed it to BKK. I picked the residence certificate up the next day.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I had to pay 500 baht. I took my application form to Chok Chai, who then faxed it to BKK. I picked the residence certificate up the next day.

I submitted my application (together with 500 bahts) this monring at Chok Chai without any hassle, the lady told me that I could collect the certificate of residence anytime tomorrow monrning. :)

Current report from the drivers license office in Pattaya is that they do need a non immigrant visa for your first application.

Your extension does not need a visa at all, only a paper stating your address (from immigration or your embassy). However, only if holding a non immigrant visa you will be issued the 5 year license, any other visa you'll only get a 1 year extension.

As of a few weeks ago, explained to me by the staff member going over the paperwork of each applicant before you go in.

Might have already changed, or might only be so on odd days and not on even days. You never know here :)

The same member also stated a work permit/yellow house book is not allowed as proof of residence, even though they are, they make their laws as they go along here...

One needs a non immigrant to get a 5 year DL but not ANY other visa will get you a one year extension (I know that first hand but that is in Bkk)

Incorrect: yellow book is a proof of residence -also first hand

Correct: Work permit is not (odd?) as a letter is still needed from the Embassy orthe local police station or immigration office (experienced that one too)