International Travel With Pets

smallfish

Hi. I'm considering a long-term stay (1-2 years) on a secluded beachin Thailand in order to develop my long dormant beach bum skills. Itseems my biggest hurdle to extremely cheap sun, sand, and fruitydrinks is my pet bulldog, Hazel. I need to know if I can take Hazelwith me. What are the Thai laws/regulations regarding the importationof dogs? Once in Thailand, will it be difficult getting her fromplace-to-place on public transportation (trains, ferries, etc). Arethere any other oft-overlooked cultural oddities regarding dogs inThailand that I should know about? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

A cultural oddity you may wish to consider is the practice of Sakhon Nakhon elsewhere in Thailand.....fine canine cuisine is a hit. And, there is a 30-day quarantine of the animal upon initial entry into Thailand and the owner foots the bill for its upkeep during the quarantine period. Bulldogs are apt to not be the best breed to travel in baggage-stow on a long-term flight. Their breathing may prohibit their travel. Find it a good home or give it up for adoption.

]And, there is a 30-day quarantine of the animal upon initial entry into Thailand and the owner foots the bill for its upkeep during the quarantine period.

I have flown my dog twice from Europe to Thailand, once through BKK and once through Phuket. Never was there a mention of any quarantine. We stopped off at a agricultural and live stock office at both airports, filled out some paperwork and were allowed to take our dog right away.

Edited by Jimbo

In reality, there is a quarantine mentioned in the paperwork that needs to be completed when arriving, only they allow the quarantine to be in your own house... (quite convenient n'est-ce pas?).

I brought my cat via airplane, can't tell if a bulldog would have breathing problems, the cabin is pressurized and heated.

I brought a young Dog de Bordeaux to Thailand,

That dogs have also a short nose, I flew with Austrian Airlines and nobody asked there what kind of dog I take with me, but you have to inform the Airline when you booking that you bring a dog with you.

Look that you have non stop flight and that your cage in which your dog should be shipped is big enough and compares with the rules of the airline.

Inform yourself about prices which could be much different from airline to airline and can be very expensive-AUA charged me-I think 40 Euro the kg.

They did not weigh the dog and the cagE, asked me for the weight, but I still paid 600 Euro!

So maybe check it out! Ask around or take a Businessclass Ticket and so dog goes free with it?

Make a deal!

I heared also that it is a lot cheaper if you let fly your dog with a freighterplane, Google the possibilitys. A Transport-Company may have good deals, but if the animal flies on the same plane with you, he is more secure and you can take him immideately.

Ask at your Thai embassy what vaccination he needs to proof and have before coming to TH thats all.

In Bangkok they brought me the dog with a trolly where I picked up, reclaimed the luggage and I Drove with him to the Plant and Animal-office.

There they not even looked at my dog, I paid 100 Baht duty,

The stamped my Passport after looking my dogs papers and thats all.

You will know your dog and how he is doing when its hot, at least a fan should be at his resting and sleeping place, a aircon would be more convinient, but must not be.

Go than here to an Animal clinic or Dr. And talk with him.

One thing what I did not know, was that the Moskitos here can transmit Heartworms,

The mostly skinny and lightweight Thai dogs seem to have no big problems with that but, in my Khon Kaen animal clinic my dogs good tested and already all had heartworms-these slow the dog down and can be fatal.

If you immediately after arriving, give your dog Vaccination in form of injection or once-monthly Tablets its not a problem.

My dogs, as they had heartworms already, needed some more cure.

So nothing to worry if you take care it.

Bring your friend with you, whatever heat and short nose. You are the Best friends and best friends stick together, so he should be with you!

There are a lot of Bulldogs here in Thailand,

Not everyday on the road, but at exhibitions, where I see them when I visit.