1000 Km Oil Change

phil2

I've have had my Proton Persona for just three ( 3) weeks and went in for the 1000 kM oil change yesterday at the dealership on Somdet Phrachao Thaksin Rd.

My question is, "Was it normal for them to change the gear oil after just three weeks,or was it a rip off?"

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edited by phil2

That's normal. The 1,000 kilometer service is done to flush out various solvents and metal chips from the manufacturing and assembly processes.

Thats normal in LOS

German cars like BMW, Benz, VW and Audi have their first oil change at approx 30.000 km. Sensors on engine, counting hours, cold starts etc, decides when to change oil and filter

You say gear oil, but l think you mean engine oil. Always good practice to flush crap out from the manufacturing process at 500 miles. Strangely enough Toyota don't do this, l took my new truck back at 1000km and demanded they do it, they did it but charged me. They say there engine manufacturing process doesn't require a flush out till 10,000 service, l told them it's my engine and it's going to last me a long time.

The gear oil in the transmission and differential is changed along with the engine oil and filter. It's really not that expensive and is just a bit of insurance. If the manufacturer recommends it, it's Okay with me.

You say gear oil, but l think you mean engine oil. Always good practice to flush crap out from the manufacturing process at 500 miles. Strangely enough Toyota don't do this, l took my new truck back at 1000km and demanded they do it, they did it but charged me. They say there engine manufacturing process doesn't require a flush out till 10,000 service, l told them it's my engine and it's going to last me a long time.

We have several Toyotas and actually Toyota did it for free at 1'000km

We have several Toyotas and actually Toyota did it for free at 1'000km

I took delivery on a Vigo November 05th and did 1000 km service on Nov 10th including change of oil. Previous Toyotas I v been charged like 1000 baht for the oil (free service), but this time it was all free. :)

They changed the engine oil, and gear oil with some other stuffs.

Engine oil = 700 plus

Gear oil + other stuffs = 700 plus + 200 + 35

Total came down to: 1790.34 bath.

They always crow about the first service being free but then you get a bill for the oil! Everytime you change the oil, change the filter too. Doing the gearbox at 1000km isn't necessary...but if it makes you feel better, do it. Do the gearbox and diff at 10.000km, then every 25k after that. And you should flush your brake fluid every year, or 2 years at least.

all cars I have owned in Thailand (all Hondas by the way) have had there first service at 10,000 Kilometers. but for the sake of 1700 baht and getting an oil change at 1000 kilometers its probably better to be safe then sorry.

maybe Proton do not flush there engines out or run them in ready for the forecourt, I think most other car makers do this.

Do dealers usually charge for this first change or is it complimentary? Did Proton charge or not?

Most cars in LOS come with 60k or 100k km free service. BMW including parts. Most charge for parts and oil.

Yep..I have had my 520d for 3 years now and not paid one baht. Oil changes, brake pads and discs changed. It's covered for 100,000Kms or 5 years (whichever first). Only the tyres and battery are not covered! Car was not cheap though so paid for it that way.

• 2 weeks later...
They always crow about the first service being free but then you get a bill for the oil! Everytime you change the oil, change the filter too. Doing the gearbox at 1000km isn't necessary...but if it makes you feel better, do it. Do the gearbox and diff at 10.000km, then every 25k after that. And you should flush your brake fluid every year, or 2 years at least.

Thanks for the tip.

I've got a Toyota Fortuner and per the dealership and the manual, oil changes are done every 10,000 kilometers, including the first oil change. I've just completed my 30,000 KM checkup which brings my total check ups to three 10,000 KM checkups. Each checkup (which includes oil/oil filter change, oil additive, and a bunch of mechanical checks) has cost about 2,100 Baht (including VAT) at the dealership here in Bangkok. Add another approx 250 Baht if you want to rotate the tires.