How To Call Out To A Good Thai Girl In Public

Daewoo

As I understand it, Meung is a term used for animals and as such should never be used when regarding a person.

However, as in the western world using an insult in context can be a good spirited wind up with very close friends. I rarely hear the word ‘farang’ except for when its accompanied by another insult playfully directed at me.

In short: context is key to the use of what wording to use and when. There are many words I only use with my closest friends and only when going through a comical verbal sparring session.

I have found that there are very similar social rules here to those I have been brought up with in the UK.

Some of my close younger Thai friends still call me Pii and wai me when we meet, many of my close Thai friends of a similar age simply offer a handshake.

In Chatuchak Market last week I simply called out my girlfriends name, if she was so far away that I would have to raise my voice and be heard more than 5 meters away I closed the gap.

For waiters and waitresses etc – when I need to get their attention if they are clearly younger I use ‘Nong-Krup’, if they look a similar age I used ‘Koh-taught-krup’ if they are clearly older I use ‘Pii-Krup’.

At work it’s a little more complicated, especially when younger but in a higher position, then I find simply using the formal name (not the nick name) works.

Respect is often portrayed in more than just the words used. I find that eye contact and a relaxed posture often give off more than simply calling someone Khun, or Pii, but realistically every individual situation is so dynamic as in the west its difficult to summarise.

For those new to any country, if the correct etiquette is unknown following the polite etiquette of your home country is often a good course of action as there are more likely similarities than differences and the polite intention behind ones actions is often clear even when the perfect phraseology cannot be found.

Thanks a lot for all the replies, and explaining beyond the basic answer...

I am sure you can imagine after the first 45minutes of looking for the perfect pair of jeans, I start just looking for somewhere to sit and let her do her thing...

Never realised that it is impolite to raise your voice (not in anger)... with 3 kids I am used to yelling loud enough for the whole suburb to hear :) ...

Cheers,

Daewoo