Broadband Dongles In Bangkok

Matan

You aint gonna get that here...edge which claim to be 250kb+ but you wont get anywhere near that is available with one2call,dtac, hutch do a 153kb dongle which they laughbly claim is mobile broadband internet,. although if you live in their testing areas then they do have faster speeds, same with true intermitent gprs/edge but they have 3g services if you live by the BTS or you live in HUa hin......

there is nothing available to my knowledge that will give you medium speed broadband on the move and believe me i have researched it as per previous posts..

good luck

Available from TOT (Samart/SIM) and True.

I think True is still free as they are in trial, i.e. you need a GPRS/EDGE account with them, but no time is calculated when using 3G, only when using GPRS/EDGE!

True is available in the area's around the skytrain route.

TOT in pre-paid version will cost 0,5 Baht/MB, so 4 GB would come to 2000 Baht.

For you any of following post paid packages would be much better:

3GX Net 599: 599 Baht/month, rest as above, data included 4,000 megabytes

3GX Net 799: 799 Baht/month, rest as above, data included 6,000 megabytes.

Not sure on TOT's coverage...

True will need a dongle capable of 3G HSDPA on 850 Mhz, TOT will need a dongle doing 3G HSDPA on 1900 Mhz.

What you mean with dreadful?

I need to download 1-2 100mb+ files every day for work and if they're coming in at 25kbs that takes forever. So since you can't get decent speeds on the dongles I guess I'll have to settle for less flexibility but greater speed, and probably more reasonable cost (500 baht per month or so?)

What you mean with dreadful?

I need to download 1-2 100mb+ files every day for work and if they're coming in at 25kbs that takes forever. So since you can't get decent speeds on the dongles I guess I'll have to settle for less flexibility but greater speed, and probably more reasonable cost (500 baht per month or so?)

Aah, you were replying to 2008Bangkok's reply!

He is talking about GPRS/EDGE, which is available nationwide and indeed tops out at around 25KBps.

I was talking about real 3G as available in Bangkok in selected area's. although TOT's network seems to be rather extensive.

Those systems (3G HSDPA) will deliver between 0.5 and 2.5 Mbps, with the average being likely over 1 Mbps. So tou're looking at downloading at average 100 kbps, and likely at night more like 250 kBps.

So between 4 and 10 times faster then what 2008Bangkok was talking about.

As said, coverage only in Bangkok.

I have a True account, apparently 4MB, but I do not get anything close to that. Average speed test consistently puts me at around 1MB download and 0.3 upload, pretty dreadful. I would not recommend it (although cheap, B 900).

I also have a PACNET subscription of 4MB, and I do get A LOT better speeds from that, unfortunately it is about 6.000 Baht a month/ Download from there for your files would not be a problem.

I am in Sathorn.