Ubc Waste Of Money?

whistleblower

Does anyone else think the films/programmes being shown by UBC over xmas are complete rubbish?? The naked gun?? How old is that movie? and its on xmas day and boxing day. I was under the impression that 'cinemax' played older movies, Star movies' were a bit more up to date and HBO was the latest movies. Whoever schedules the programmes/movies on ubc should be shot.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed over the last two years a steady trend towards only showing anything new / good as far as movies is concerned only the the plat movie channels.

The Star / HBO channels in the Gold Package are rubbish and I could not tell you the last time I watched a movie on either of these.

Don't worry though, we have American and Asia's Fattest Losers on all day and night for your viewing enjoyment.

I have noticed over the last two years a steady trend towards only showing anything new / good as far as movies is concerned only the the plat movie channels.

The Star / HBO channels in the Gold Package are rubbish and I could not tell you the last time I watched a movie on either of these.

Don't worry though, we have American and Asia's Fattest Losers on all day and night for your viewing enjoyment.

That is what DVD players are for,TV movies are from the stone age. :):D:D:D

It is a complete waste of money. Cancelled it years ago in favour of WeTV, which has the Olympics, F1, cricket, plus movies that aren't censored to nothing... all of which UBC never did at the time. The saving is 1300 baht a month and still get BBC, CNN, English movie channels, cartoon channels for the nipper, etc.

Changed to the so called Knowledge Package 2 years ago from the Gold Package, which I had since the start of UBC and which was not too bad in the first years, but also far from outstanding with uncountable boring, endless repeating movies and endless repeating docus and far too many channels never watched.

Christmas and New Year was like any other day telly wise, Christmas movies shown all year.

It is a complete waste of money. Cancelled it years ago in favour of WeTV, which has the Olympics, F1, cricket, plus movies that aren't censored to nothing... all of which UBC never did at the time. The saving is 1300 baht a month and still get BBC, CNN, English movie channels, cartoon channels for the nipper, etc.

We TV ?????

WE TV is a local cable network in Chiang Mai with something like 30 chanels of mostly garbage for 350 per month. The movies aren't bad, but mostly Thai language and they have always had BBC and CNN, until they finally cancelled CNN a few weeks ago. They replaced it with SKY News which makes CNN look Oscar worthy, but what do you want for 350?

Edited by Ulysses G.

As a non Christian coluntry, I fail to see how you can complain about lack of Christmas programmes. And before you respond, may I suggest the christians in Thailand make up a very very low percentage anmd not worthy of special programming

That explains why there are no christmas trees in sight anywhere in thailand, and no christmas music playing in the department stores then???

The point of the post was not to complain about the lack of 'Christian' programmes, but the actual line up of so called 'blockbuster movies' on over a certain holiday period. True/UBC whatever you want to call it repeat so many movies and programmes its becoming tedius.

(this is the part where the die hard expats say "if you dont like it then cancel it or go home!)

On Platinum today. The greatest Story Ever Told. Press the i button for info. Exquisite performances by among others John Wayne. Isn't this the movie where the centurion says Truly, this must be the Son of God" Director Cut! John, could you put more awe into it? Action "Awe he truly was the man of god". Decent movies? :)

Edited by Mosha

I can understand people's concerns, but since it's pretty much the only 'show' in Thailand, I pay my money and watch what I like. I would have to say it's a little on the expensive side, but I can usually find something that I like.

WE TV is a local cable network in Chiang Mai with something like 30 chanels of mostly garbage for 350 per month. The movies aren't bad, but mostly Thai language and they have always had BBC and CNN, until they finally cancelled CNN a few weeks ago. They replaced it with SKY News which makes CNN look Oscar worthy, but what do you want for 350?

Yes. one Pommie news channel was enough. Our condo building was looking at installing WETV but they said they would continue to decrease English stations and weren't interested in picking up another 400 subscribers. :)

Canceled UBC years ago as rubbish.

3BB promoting some HD TV they have but can't find anything in English so must all be Thai, also can't believe they could deliver that much bandwidth.

Never mind still have torrents. Also looking at the dreambox type options for later.

That is what DVD players are for,TV movies are from the stone age. :):D:D:D

stone age? and you are completely unaware of the irony contained in your own post.

As a non Christian coluntry, I fail to see how you can complain about lack of Christmas programmes. And before you respond, may I suggest the christians in Thailand make up a very very low percentage anmd not worthy of special programming

That explains why there are no christmas trees in sight anywhere in thailand, and no christmas music playing in the department stores then???

The point of the post was not to complain about the lack of 'Christian' programmes, but the actual line up of so called 'blockbuster movies' on over a certain holiday period. True/UBC whatever you want to call it repeat so many movies and programmes its becoming tedius.

(this is the part where the die hard expats say "if you dont like it then cancel it or go home!)

check your calendar again, christmas is not a holiday here.

Believe me if it weren't for the Panda channel, I would cancel my sub immediately. :)

Hey man, DON'T knock the Panda Channel!!! :D I especially like the time from 7:00-7:30 PM when they show the hi-lites of the day. I even have my mobile alarm set to let me know it's on. It's far superior to the moronic mindless thai soaps or my EXP3 which is only in french or maybe chinese.

FWIW: I HATE spending ฿2155.15 a month for the worthless Platinum Package. That's more than most states in the frickin' US charge for cable t/v, and at least there I get FOX News :D.

If you wanna blame True Visions for something...how about their lousy reception?

I finally had UBC (TrueVisions) run a hard line to my house from the cable box out on the Soi. No dish means NO disruptions in the rain, clouds, strong winds or due to their satellite being hung from a leaking helium balloon. :D

I get reception in almost any condition except a power outage when I'm sure they still broadcast a signal, but due to my power being out, I don't get seem to get it on my t/v. :D

I would check into getting it done where you live.

Edited by tod-daniels

On Platinum today. The greatest Story Ever Told. Press the i button for info. Exquisite performances by among others John Wayne. Isn't this the movie where the centurion says Truly, this must be the Son of God" Director Cut! John, could you put more awe into it? Action "Awe he truly was the man of god". Decent movies? :)

I saw that the film 'David Copperfield' (you know, the Charles Dickens novel) was being shown later, so I pressed the button to see if it was an old b&w version or something more recent. This is what it said...

"The true life story of the world's most famous magician"

I still laugh every time I'm reminded of it. :D

My wife subscribed for me at the end of November, so I could watch the Premier league games, when I came back here from SS (Sinking Ship) Great Britain. Despite several phone calls to True, still haven't even received a magazine to see what's on in December. Tried their website, from which it used to be possible to download the programme schedule, but the website works about as well as Gordon Browns economic stimulus. :)

We get the movie channels included in the gold package, but rarely watch them. Last nights offering at the prime 8pm spot was Death Wish 4 - which is so old, I was surprised it was in colour. :D

For me, the only thing that keeps this abysmal "service" commercially viable, is it's football coverage. Without the Premier league, la Liga etc it would sink like a stone.

I'd be interested to know the fallout from platinum subscribers since they ditched the only half-decent general entertainment channel they ever had, BBC Entertainment. I'd imagine the numbers have nosedived.

True - Totally Ruddy Useless Entertainment.

Rant over - time for a nice cup of tea. :D

Edited by WeeGB

If you wanna blame True Visions for something...how about their lousy reception?

I finally had UBC (TrueVisions) run a hard line to my house from the cable box out on the Soi. No dish means NO disruptions in the rain, clouds, strong winds or due to their satellite being hung from a leaking helium balloon. :D

I get reception in almost any condition except a power outage when I'm sure they still broadcast a signal, but due to my power being out, I don't get seem to get it on my t/v. :)

I would check into getting it done where you live.

We did request it. They wouldn't do it even though we are just of Suk 24.

But let me ask...how good is your reception in terms of clarity? That's my beef.

I actually have no problem with the rain/dense clouds blackouts. In our experience, it was not that often and at least I can understand the reason.

Thats obviously from a yanks perspective and not from a Brit :)