Thailand Gets Extra Holiday For Songkran

webfact

Usually extra holidays are announced at the last minute so this time the government wanted people to be able to plan their holidays ahead and of course boost tourism.

What a miserable bunch some farangs are on this thread. Thais get few holidays, most certainly can't take 2 weeks in a row.

Well said, totally agree with you.

Credit where credit is due, here's a move I LIKE a LOT!! It makes a lot of sense because April 16th is a Friday. So you create a larger holiday period. :D

( AND they managed to announce it in advance, instead of like the evening of the 15th to announce that 16th is a holiday. :D )

I enjoy Songkran a lot, too. BTW, a longer holiday period you can actually fill in as just that, an extended trip to Phuket or somewhere else where people don't celebrate for more than an afternoon or so.

Why all the negativity? Are you (you in general, you know who you are) really so depressed to not want to see others having a longer holiday?? Please.

i'm glad to see that even the 'reds' supporters enjoy songkhran ! :D:D:D Just hope everybody'll keep their coloured shirts in their cupboards and won't spoil it next year ! How about some nice flowered shirts with flowers garlands instead ? :D

(i didn't care much because I was in Vientiane last year, and had a helova GREAT time, but I'd like to stay in Thailand this year !) :D

:)

Credit where credit is due, here's a move I LIKE a LOT!! It makes a lot of sense because April 16th is a Friday. So you create a larger holiday period. :D

( AND they managed to announce it in advance, instead of like the evening of the 15th to announce that 16th is a holiday. :) )

I enjoy Songkran a lot, too. BTW, a longer holiday period you can actually fill in as just that, an extended trip to Phuket or somewhere else where people don't celebrate for more than an afternoon or so.

Why all the negativity? Are you (you in general, you know who you are) really so depressed to not want to see others having a longer holiday?? Please.

I think we should do the French thing and take the whole month off like they do in August. In the two weeks leading up to Songkran nothing gets done because everyone is talking about their plans, and for a week after it nothing gets done because everyone is talking about what they did.

I'm one of those moaners who doesn't like Songkran. I don't mind people revelling together, and I put up with loud parties (average once per month) in my village where the off-tune shouting in microphones actually shakes my windows, coming from a Km away. I used to complain sometimes about that, but gave up when it had zero affect.

Songkran is lots of people having fun, granted, but it impacts on others, sometimes to a dire degree. Not only are there hundreds of deaths, but thousands of serious injuries, but we know that. I doubt the tens of thousands of brothers, sisters, lovers, parents, children related to the injured/dead are particularly gleeful about Songkran.

If it were raucus with just loud music, that's tolerable. However, the revelers take glee in inflicting pain and suffering on others. How else would you describe a strong man throwing a bucket of water at you full force from 1 meter away. If you're on a bicycle or motorbike, you're a juicier target. One day of raucousness is bad enough, but now the gov't officially decrees six days which will turn in to nine or more days.

I will try to exit Thailand for Songkran, but if not able, I'll be subject to involuntary house residence unless I choose to be broadsided by bucket fulls of water, from passing pick-ups, etc. Kids here start each Songkran days early, and stretch it out days after it's supposed to be over, so a 6 to 9 day Songkran will wind up lasting about 12 days. No bicycling, no motorbiking, no walking any streets in town for nearly two weeks. Not just for me, but for tens of thousands of other residents who don't particularly like the gross inconveniences.

It's overdone to a dangerous degree. The Thai legislators who voted for this extention made a stupid decision - that's the nicest way I can describe it.

If we are talking about Songkran primarily then the issue with the celebration is that people (in all countries) are morons in groups and have no respect for others.

Unfortunately the days are NOT holidays in other countries and if you are on a contract against an American company etc then your concern about getting a wet shirt when traveling to work isn't on their agenda (nor should it). Sadly it is a real challenge to avoid being completely drenched, even if walking in suit and carrying a briefcase.

Yes my thoughts exactly, another day of idiocy....stand by, chime in time for those will be in shortly to flame me by telling me to go home if I don't like it :)

Your wife called me and she wants you to stop drinking and come home.

PS, Theres many many holes in that one lined post of yours.

Firstly, I don't have a wife.

Secondly, I don't drink.

Thirdly, I don't have a home.

Other than that the post was accurate, except Im suspecting that nobody called you either. :D:D