Thai People Eating Fast Food

Hana4832

A few years ago I worked in Paris and was astounded at the popularity of McDonalds and learnt that France has (maybe now "had") the greatest number per capita of Maccy Dees in the world. Astounding when you think how arrogant the French are about their food.

The point is, no matter what anybody thinks about the stuff, fast food is here to stay. Personally I just cannot understand why any sane person would queue up to buy a lukewarm hamburger, equally lukewarm insipid fried sticks of reconstituted stuff washed down by a concoction of chemicals and sugar. But it's their life and their money and I'd tell them to combine sex with travel if they tried telling me what to eat.

When I was in France (which I found the people to be the most smelly and rude of any people in the whole world,maybe that is why they call them frogs) I had the pleasure of eating fast food/street food.There was a cart on the street selling "hamburgers".A meat patty on a baguette with mustard.It was the best "hamburger "that I had ever had.I went back to them regularly to get them.I finally found out why they tasted so good.It was horse meat.I still went because they were so good.Some people have asked me why I would eat horse meat.Becuase it tastes GOOD.

As to the OP.I would say that most Thai street food is fast food and much of that is served in plastic and styrofoam ,not good for the enviroment.But I have to agree that Mc is not good for you or taste good.

As to the OP.I would say that most Thai street food is fast food

Fried rice is fast food. Pad Thai is fast food. There is nothing wrong with eating fast food every once in a while.

Pay no attention to food Nazis!

play_c.gif

2 min 21 sec - 30 Dec 2007

www.youtube.com

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hana,

I am sure the thai people are really concerned about what 'you think' about them eating fast food :) .

I'm always a little suspicious of the first poster that creates their own thread and puts something like this on the forum.....What are you selling?

ding ding ding !!! We have a winner. Now consider it was her FIRST POST.

Please allow me to rfpeat GET A LIFE LOSER.

Nimrod.

Keyboard warrior stuff :D

Hana,

I am sure the thai people are really concerned about what 'you think' about them eating fast food :) .

I'm always a little suspicious of the first poster that creates their own thread and puts something like this on the forum.....What are you selling?

ding ding ding !!! We have a winner. Now consider it was her FIRST POST.

Please allow me to rfpeat GET A LIFE LOSER.

With personal insult statements like that, contrary to forum rules, I foresee powderpuff's stay at the hotel Thaivisa being a short one.

Thai people eating fast food? They do, its very popular. They will get fat, just as has happened in the US. Mark my words.

Well I for one am in Hana's corner, yes Thai food is fast to prepare and cook, but I would'nt call it fast food, it is healthy and nutritious if prepared in clean conditions. Macs, KFC and all the rest are sure not for me.

Also the school lunches are tremendous, had something today for the first time Dtao Hooo Kai, a savoury egg custard, melted in the mouth and was delicious, a mix of egg, pork and soya bean paste I think, it looked like a 3 inch long by 2 inch diameter omelette.

I am in agreement, that to be seen to be eating this stuff is perhaps a status symbol. I'd sooner get a plate of fried rice or Khao Khao Moo or noodles for 30 baht than 100 baht plus for flavoured cardboard with all the nutritional value of certain TV posters IQ.

Edited by aitch52

Mcdonald's fried chicken is actually pretty good and beats the pants off any of the Thai street stall chicken vendors that i've had and is arguably much better than KFC which is a salty greasy mess. Everything else offered by Mickey D's is pretty subpar health, taste, and cost wise for what you could make yourself though.

I can't hate on Burger King or Subway. I think Burger King's offerings are good when you crave a big fat greasy burger. Subway is still healthy enough that I don't quite classify it as typical fast food.

On the otherhand the pizza chains in Thailand are mostly overpriced garbage.

You disagree with Thai people eating fast food ?? Disagree??

You sound like Thai people aren't able to figure this out for themselves.... do you agree with American people eating fast food, Europeans ? Is it just the Thais that should not enjoy a Macdonalds if they want ?

totster :)

Thais are told when they are allowed to drink and when not. Why not food? ban fast food between 6-9pm therefore encouraging them to eat moms home cooked nutritious Thai food. healthy body healthy liver and mind. Dont laugh police fatties were recently ordered to lose weight to fit in the brown body suit

Mcdonald's fried chicken is actually pretty good and beats the pants off any of the Thai street stall chicken vendors that i've had and is arguably much better than KFC which is a salty greasy mess. Everything else offered by Mickey D's is pretty subpar health, taste, and cost wise for what you could make yourself though.

I can't hate on Burger King or Subway. I think Burger King's offerings are good when you crave a big fat greasy burger. Subway is still healthy enough that I don't quite classify it as typical fast food.

On the otherhand the pizza chains in Thailand are mostly overpriced garbage.

Fried chicken at Mc is good??Yeah right :):D:D BK is fat greasy?Do not think so.The meat is broiled so the fat dripps off of the meat.My favorit fast food burger by the way.Subway healthy?If you like a ton of sodium in your meats.

I go regularly to Thai Markets, where there are some sort of food stalls, always a nice variety of Curries and other dishes..ready made - here on Samui there is usually a large Plate with raw vegetables (herbs) on the table and a bowl with "nam pik"I love it... can't imagine any much healthier food then this variety!

"Thaiffood" isn't always, all fried, this stuff is not much more then a snack....!

And "Fast Food"= "Junk Food" is simply horrible, compared to real food!

The Burger bun, the meat patty, the industrial style chips, the "pies", even the "ice cream" just horrible,

compared to genuine Thai Food, not to mention a real homemade Burger!

So is the stuff which is available at KFC, Pizza Hut and Pizza Company not even resembling a Pizza or Pasta!

Edited by Samuian

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care what any of you say , street vendor food is fast food , you usualy get it faster than in Western outlets , it is also harmfull to your health , palm oil often used far beyond even a reasonable 'Safe' time , pig fat/msg/sugar/salt/exhaust fumes/people coughing and sneezing at it/street dust , ad finitum .

Fastfood is like candy. It's tasty but it ain't food. It ain't healthy at all. I'm an athlete and when I'm hungry and eat a burger I'm still hungry afterwards and just feel miserable because of it, nothing in there. Offcourse when you drive a car and sit on your lazy ass all day long you will never know. Just the doctors bill will be a bit higher in the end.

There's alot of less inteligent or maybe just uneducated people around who know nothing about nutrition and what a healthy daily meal should consist of and why. I think this especially goes for alot of Thai people so they should be warned! Poor skinny folks ending up like fat american burger addicts :)

I visited New York once and I was disgusted! Never seen elephant people before and it was just sad.

Any type of restaurant food isn't healthy anyway except maybe for sushi meat but burger joints are the worst.

• 4 weeks later...
In conclusion, we shouldn't to eat fast food, because fast food gives less nutrition and the package destroys the environment, so we should eat Thai food, which is useful.

The millions of styrofoam packages used in Thai fast food every single day destroy the environment too. It's not like Thai food is wrapped in banana leaves anymore, it's usually in plastic bags and styrofoam boxes. It may taste good and be healthy, but the way it's served is no better for the environment than McDonalds. Some Thai restaurants do wrap their food in paper though, which is good for the environment.

I'm no big fan of western fast food either, but to be fair it should be noted that McDonalds has not used styrofoam packaging in years. The big macs are served in cardboard containers and the fries in paper. Both 100% biodegradable.