Canadians In Chiang Mai

sticklee

Hello to all, I'm new here and just 5 short weeks away of becoming another expat retiree to Chiang Mai. I am moving from Vancouver (most expensive city in Canada?) and interested in hearing about experiences, ideas and opinions from other Canadians, currently or formerly having long term residence in Chiang Mai. I have been reading a wide range of posts on a wide range of topics and it seems that there is a large number of UK, Australian, US, and European expats. Strong opinions representing the pros and cons on everything imaginable abounds. I'd like to get a Canadian slant,thanks to all for your input. BTW I'm a golfer and will be looking for golf friends. I have looked over all the usual links, Royal League etc.

My advice, bring more Canadian's; our great attitude isn't represented often enough in the Chiang Mai area.

I do know a couple of Torontonians whom Golf alot, I can pass details over when you arrive.

Canadians are more laid back, never encountering any negatives during their time in amazing Thailand, so therefore never feel the need to share strong opinions on web boards.

Cheers from a fellow Wetcoaster

My advice, bring more Canadian's; our great attitude isn't represented often enough in the Chiang Mai area.

I do know a couple of Torontonians whom Golf alot, I can pass details over when you arrive.

Canadians are more laid back, never encountering any negatives during their time in amazing Thailand, so therefore never feel the need to share strong opinions on web boards.

Cheers from a fellow Wetcoaster

Thanks fishenough. Estimated doa is Jan 22, I'll be back, depending on the bait.....

Hello Fellow country men , as to your thougt about canadians in thailand I have about 15 canadian friends in thailand in varous areas. I live in thailand but still work in the canadian oil patch. to young to retire.There are many canadians that i know who work in the area i do and live in thailand. I also have very good Ausie and UK frends that i always meet in thailand. Most of my friends here do gulf.It is nice to chat with others from home.

So good luck on your new life there and if u have any questions ask and hopefully I can lend u a hand.

have a gootime and when u are in BKK drop me a call, when I am there

good luck

Edited by WilliamCave

I'm not an expat, but I normally spend 5 months of the winter in Thailand. I'm single, I love fishing and art, and I am too much of a gypsy to settle in any one place for any length of time. However, Chiang Mai makes a good place to park my stuff while I drift around the country enjoying myself. I have way too much fun with everything to be considered normal. It seems to piss some people off. Even when I'm home on Vancouver Island for 7 months of the year I'm not really there that much. I wander all over the western provinces and the western USA on fishing trips. As soon as the weather turns foul I book a trip for Thailand... and it's like coming home again. I've always got something to look forward to. I love Chiang Mai because it's cheaper than most places to live and there is a pretty good infrastructure if you need something.

I am a canadian (also from van) and have been living for over a year in CM. Tried BKK for a couple months, but decided on CM. Prices in CM are much more reasonable than alot of places in thailand, although compared to Van, anywhere here will be reasonable.

Getting around is easy, weather is great. Drivers in CM are probably the worst in thailand. Something to do with 50% of drivers not having a license. Assume that no one has common sense or common courtesy on the road and you will be fine.

Plan on marrying and building a house here soon, so definately a great place to live.

Welcome

Go Canucks!! :)

Brian

We've been living in Chiang Mai for the past 5 years. I'm from BC (the Kootenays) and my wife is from Calgary. There are quite a lot of Canadians living in the city. Like others have said, many of us keep under the radar. The only time that a large group of us get together is for Canada Day. We usually organize a pancake breakfast and open it up to any other Canadians living in the city. Usually, about 70-100 show up.

Based on who I know, the type of Canadian living here ranges in age and purpose for being here. There are a lot of Canadians working for NGOs and missionary agencies. There are also quite a lot of Canadian managers of factories and businesses in the area.... and of course retirees.

My opinion is that Canadians seem to get along quite well with most of the other nationalities so we don't necessarily seek out only other Canadians. I'm sure that you'll find the same if you move here.

One warning.... I've yet to find any regular way to watch any NHL games while living here.