Shocking Truth - One In Three Thai Lawmakers Indifferent To Corruption

webfact

Am I the only one who feels that this is not a "Shocking" Revelation? I have long had issues with the Thai newspaper practice of using "Shock value" headlines, which, when you read the story, are only partially true, or not true at all. It happens all the time, in all sections of the papers. (and on the internet for that matter)

They could handle it the Ronald Reagen way: change the terminology to something that doesn't sound negative. Entities that bribed federal officials became known as political action committees, and there are no laws against them.

Baksheesh in Thailand can be called administrative incentives, the incentive is for them to get off their <deleted> and actually do something.

They could have a regular hangout somewhere, like in a plaza near the government offices, equivalent to the way the girls ply their trade in Nana Hotel parking lot, offering their assistance.

"Hello farang, you need residency permit?" :)

Please explain to me the issues at hand here? What would you rather do, pay an on the spot fine or go through the Western court system?

It's pretty simple really. Corruption is wrong. You can drive like a wanke_r and get away with paying 200 Baht odd on the spot. Or, you could be forced to go to the police station and pay the full 500. If everyone who drove like a wanke_r was forced to pay 500 Baht, the police stations would be better off and higher salaries could be paid.

I know what you're thinking now 'if people were detered from driving like wanke_rs, where would the corrupt police get their money from?' Who cares? People not driving dangerously means less injuries and deaths on the roads. I can't imagine how much it costs for innocent people and the state to pay for people injured or dead from road accidents.

Win, win me thinks. Corruption is just a way of life here. Mai pen rai.

have you ever thought about how good are road accidents to the economics of Thailand? Ok, maybe some people die in an accident, BUT it gives work to nurses, doctors, people who building hospitals....garages and repairshops, factorys for parts etc etc, even the monks and the coffinmakers are not jobless.

So thanks to the BoB, they mostly shut their eyes and just open it when they are short on money for lunch or a new car or house. :)

Friend of mine had a good idea and tried the official way without paying bribes....after two years he is still waiting for some papers and for sure he will have to wait ten years more.

Please, stop talking.

1 in 3 indifferent to corruption is progress. Of course real progress would need the other 2/3 to stop being in favor...

Yes, that would at least get into a general world proportion

33% badies, and most wanting fairness,

rather than the utterly corruption is normal mindset of yore.

Why is this titled "Thai", this is world wide is it not? Corruption is rife, its the nature of the beast called man kind.

The thread is titled "Thai" because it refers to comments made by the National Anti Corruption Council. Their brief is to deal with the corruption in Thailand which by the very wording of the title of their organisation is admitted as existing.

I agree that there is corruption everywhere but this a Thai forum and posters are right to post about Thai corruption. There is rather more of it in Thailand than most other countries. My view anyway, and obviously serious enough for the NACC to make those comments.