"ket",what Tone Does It Have?

aletta

Just got back from the Central  Plains and everyone used "ket" a lot,a word i never hear in Isaan or in the South.Is it a word only used around Bangkok and what is it's tone.

เข็ด (ket-low tone)

(verb) - means to be afraid of doing or offending again, to be submissive } to be reformed through punishment or suffering.

E.g. นายจะออกไปกับยายนั่นอีกเหรอ โดนหลอกไปทียังไม่เข็ดอีกเหรอ

nai jà òrk bpai gàp yai nân èek lŏr dohn lòk bpai tee yang mâi kèt èek lŏr

Will you go out with that girl again? Don't you afraid of deceiving again?

(noun) - mean skein , hank of yarn .

Words which are often used with เข็ด ;

เข็ดข้อ kèt kôr - to be discouraged and dare not fight again , to be afraid to fight again

เข็ดเขี้ยว kèt kîeow - to admit one's defeat

เข็ดฟัน kèt fan - to suffer an unpleasant tingling in the teeth

เข็ดจนตาย kèt jon dtai - to be submissive forever

เข็ดหลาบ kèt làap -to be reformed through suffering or punishment

Thank you for the explanation Khun Yoot. I think I have a basic idea of the meaning of the word now, but the final part of the example sentence is still not clear to me:

โดนหลอกไปทียังไม่เข็ดอีกเหรอ

My understanding of it is something like below - but your translation is quite different, so I guess I have missed or misunderstood something. How should it be analyzed to be understood correctly?

You have been tricked (by the girl?), to not yet have learned (become afraid, submissive) from your past mistakes/experience (with her)?

E.g. นายจะออกไปกับยายนั่นอีกเหรอ โดนหลอกไปทียังไม่เข็ดอีกเหรอ

nai jà òrk bpai gàp yai nân èek lŏr dohn lòk bpai tee yang mâi kèt èek lŏr

Will you go out with that girl again? Don't you afraid of deceiving again?

Sorry my translation wasn't clear enough.

It should be, Will you go out with that girl again? You have been tricked( MS is correct). Aren't you afraid of deceiving again?

You have been tricked (by the girl?), to not yet have learned (become afraid, submissive) from your past mistakes/experience (with her)?

There are many ways to say, the sentences may be different but the meaning of them are close , such as;

โดนหลอกไปทียังไม่เข็ดอีกเหรอ ..... Aren't you afaid of deceiving again? (this sentence can be used to make fun with your friend)

or โดนหลอกไปทีแล้วยังไม่คิดจะจำเป็นบทเรียนเหรอไง ....to not yet have learned from your past experience? ( to use this sentence,it sounds more serious than other sentences)

or โดนหลอกไปทีแล้วไม่กลัวว่าประวัติศาสตร์จะซ้ำรอยอีกเหรอไง(เคยโดนหลอกไปทีแล้วไม่กลัวโดนหลอกอีกเหรอ) .......Aren't you afraid of the same thing which happened in the past (deceiving) will be happened again? ( this sentence is plainer than other sentences, something like your friend told you about that girl and you ask your friend back by don't have any ideas to make fun with it.)

Just got back from the Central  Plains and everyone used "ket" a lot,a word i never hear in Isaan or in the South.Is it a word only used around Bangkok and what is it's tone.

Curious as to why you are hearing เข็ด a lot and only in the Central Plains, it's a common enough word, meaning as explained, not dare do again through having learnt one's lesson; perhaps you're hearing เขต meaning constituency, could be in reference to the recent elections.

bannork

yoot,

just to correct your english so as to make it clearer:

It should be, Will you go out with that girl again? You have been tricked( MS is correct). Aren't you afraid of deceiving again?

arent u afraid of BEING DECEIVED AGAIN? is what i think u meant:

not: arent u afraid of DECEIVING AGAIN?

since u are asking your friend if he hasnt learned his lesson already by having been deceived at least once; if he hasnt learned his lesson he might be deceived again by the same girl....

this might make the translation match what meadish understood?

completely off topic here mods but i'm a little annoyed that two post/questions by me got ripped by snowleopard in response to yoot... can u do something please; i dont remember snowleopard being so nasty in previous posts although rather 'snooty' maybe,, dont know what happened to him/her lately, if this isnt appropriate here than edit it out please...

yoot,

just to correct your english so as to make it clearer:

arent u afraid of BEING DECEIVED AGAIN? is what i think u meant:

not: arent u afraid of DECEIVING AGAIN?

since u are asking your friend if he hasnt learned his lesson already by having been deceived at least once; if he hasnt learned his lesson he might be deceived again by the same girl....

this might make the translation match what meadish understood?

Thanks,bina. That's very clear. :D

I always have problem in using English. It's hard for me to use English language to explain all I want to make it clear. :o

The second post,I just wanted to explain about using Thai words. Each words you use has their own feeling inside. Although the meaning of each sentences is close but you need to pick the proper one to talk to a proper person or situation.

bannock

Been living in Isaan for fifteen years and never heard it. :o

The context i kept hearing it in was that i was living in a swamp near Bangkok and everyone looked at my sweating red face and said "mar nee ket mai?"

เข็ดข้อ

is this applicable in this situation:?

a thai worker punched out an other over a girlfriend thing; now the 'puncher' has been moved to work with somewhere else and not with the group (and not with me and my worker); the woman with whom he is now working said that he seemed 'all shook up' from the incident as the guy on the receiving end of the punch made a more than usual huge fuss etc, israeli style and not dealt with in the group, thai style. i told my friend that A's new boss thinks that A is 'ket' since he almost lost his job. i was met with a blank stare. i tried 'jep jai' and 'grua' and he used 'kor' or something similar on its own to mean what i meant. any ideas?? (issan speak )

เข็ดข้อ

is this applicable in this situation:?

a thai worker punched out an other over a girlfriend thing; now the 'puncher' has been moved to work with somewhere else and not with the group (and not with me and my worker); the woman with whom he is now working said that he seemed 'all shook up' from the incident as the guy on the receiving end of the punch made a more than usual huge fuss etc, israeli style and not dealt with in the group, thai style.  i told my friend that A's new boss thinks that A is 'ket'  since he almost lost his job.  i was met with a blank stare.  i tried 'jep jai' and 'grua'  and he used 'kor' or something similar on its own  to mean what i meant.  any ideas??  (issan speak )

Yes,เข็ดข้อ is applicable in this situation.

on this case เข็ดข้อ means someone has disobeyed a rule and he was caught and was about to lost his job, so that he should dare not to againt the rules again.

The context i kept hearing it in was that i was living in a swamp near Bangkok and everyone looked at my sweating red face and said "mar nee ket mai?"

มานี่เข็ดมั้ย? This question means you come here and face with this terrible weather or situation, were you scared till dare not to come back again?

If you reply, ไม่ครับ or ไม่เข็ดครับ that means you weren't scared and will come back here again if it's possible. If you say ครับ that means you were scared and won't come back again. :o

bannock

Been living in Isaan for fifteen years and never heard it. :o

You probably never heard it in Issan because being such a wonderful place nobody ever had the need to use it! It's standard Thai so it's likely to be heard anywhere; thinking about some words in English, maybe one only hears them every few years or so.

bannork.