Where to buy Kettlebells in Chiang Mai

connda

I used to lift free weight but those days are over basically due to lack of access to a gym.  And I'm wayyyyy out of shape.

I had a friend years ago who swore by kettlebells.  I've been reading about them and they appeal to my 70+ year old body where I'm less interested in muscle mass gains and more interested in working more full-body muscles in compound movement - i.e., my sexy man days are over, I just need to get in shape again at a whole body level.

Anyway - kettlebell purchases.  I looked on both Lazada and Shopee but the reviews of the kettlebells I was interested in all indicated they arrived damaged.
So I'd rather purchase from a store.  I'm not familiar with which stores in Chiang Mai would carry them.  Has anyone seem kettlebells stocked in fitness stores and which fitness stores did you see them in.  I'm interested in a 12kg kettlebell to start with.  If anyone has advice about training with kettlebell, I'm all ears.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, jij said:

And yet?  These are from verified purchase.  I don't want to send damaged goods back to either of these outfit as it is a pain in the butt.  Been there, done that. 

So - still looking for a brick-and-mortor fitness shop in CM that sells these. 

th-11134103-7r98w-lmvuzupf9qq6ce.thumb.webp.e1cf0e082fd53a76c234f1c3d11fc395.webpth-11134103-7r98u-lmvuzupf8c5qaf.thumb.webp.d512c07cb4feef81f1e6cdb92044faa4.webp5c0f8cea25c940328eca6ae6827e6954_1108e7937669495095610ae070947c79.jpg_1200x1200q80.jpg_.webp.85b5814573d19cf1eb3bdd7b45f527aa.webp

• Sad 1

I have a complete set of elastic power bands at our holiday home that works excellent. Many different youtube instruction videos show all necessary exercises. 

Also built myself a power band stand I can do many different exercises included squats and dead lifts, pluss a bench where I can anchor the bands and do "bench" presses. 

A door anchor is also great to have. 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.nx8M0

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

12kg is way to high for your age and starting off, I would strongly suggest you get to practice and get the correct method and "form" before you even consider that kind of weight, or you'll just end up injured.

Start with around 5/6kg  get comfortable with the methods, etc., lighter weight, more reps, etc is the safe way to start.

There are plenty of senior workouts with kettlebells on YouTube

I bought mine of Lazada and never had any issues.

That is the problem with kettlebells you need so many different weights and they are not cheap. It doesn't take long to outgrow the ones you have and then you need to buy some more. Not all weights are suitable for all exercises and you might need 3 different weighted bells for one workout. 

With dumbbells you can buy a bar, or two, and some plates, also an attachment and use them as kettlebells. You can keep altering the weight configuration to suit your ability and also use them as dumbbells, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

Don't buy the kettlebells filled with composite materials they are about twice the size of the metal ones and look tacky.

Exactly.  I planned to buy cast-iron.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

12kg is way to high for your age and starting off, I would strongly suggest you get to practice and get the correct method and "form" before you even consider that kind of weight, or you'll just end up injured.

Start with around 5/6kg  get comfortable with the methods, etc., lighter weight, more reps, etc is the safe way to start.

There are plenty of senior workouts with kettlebells on YouTube

I bought mine of Lazada and never had any issues.

Yeah - it was a "senior workout" on Youtube that suggested the 12kg kettlebell. 
Anyhow - that is another reason why I want to "handle" a set before buying.  Although I've got a lot of past experience with free-weights, I also understand my present fitness limitations. 
So finding a store with kettlebells is also about picking them up and doing some routine movements with them before buying.  I'm not interested is tearing a tendon.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

I bought some at our local Big C.  Good quality and price.

I checked our Big C in Lamphun today - nada.  Nothing. 

1 minute ago, connda said:

I checked our Big C in Lamphun today - nada.  Nothing. 

My first set I bought from Big C, plastic probably concrete filled, after a while the concrete cracked splitting the plastic at the same time. 🙁

Supersports also used to carry them.  MY wife bought a couple years ago and hardly ever used them.  I just purchased a set of weights - cheaper in the long run and more versatile.  

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Kettlebells are a waste of time and money in my opinion. 

Having a full gym home in Thailand with kettlebells, I have to admit, I dont use them much. Also have a few at my holiday home which havent been used since I got used to elastic power bands. I still prefer old style free weights and machines just because of the feeling, but powerbands, the more I get used to them, the more I like it, and the older I get, I know I cant continue lifting heavy, because of the toll it takes on my joints. 

Still benching 10 reps 100kg bench, and 12 reps 130kg squats. 

I have lifted weights sinse my twenties, and if I knew what I know today, I wouldnt invested in a full gym in Thailand. 

Benefits powerbands take little space, you can exercise every muscle group with less stress on joints 

10 Resistance band training benefits
  • Greater muscle stimulus. ...
  • Improved strength levels. ...
  • Activates the core. ...
  • Improved stretching and mobility. ...
  • Tone and strengthen muscles. ...
  • Great for muscle pain & injury recovery. ...
  • Protects bones and joints. ...
  • Great for muscle rehab exercises.

https://www.litmethod.com/blogs/boltcut-blog/resistance-bands-benefits

Kettlebells swing is great when young, but the older we get, we have to be more careful especially if you do not do much of stretching and mobility exercises. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2024 at 9:53 PM, connda said:

Looks like they have a Decathlon Chiang Mai out on the ring road.  I'll be in the vicinity next weekend and will check them out.  Thanks!

if you haven't found the Decathlon store yet ..... it is on the Chiangmai----Lamphun access road ...... across from the BIG Court House ( san dek intersection) 

coming from lamphun make a U turn at that intersection, and go about 100 + meters and it is on your left .    Big store, set back from road a little bit (drive slow)

On 4/29/2024 at 5:53 PM, connda said:
On 4/29/2024 at 1:57 PM, Yorkshire Tea said:

Looks like they have a Decathlon Chiang Mai out on the ring road.  I'll be in the vicinity next weekend and will check them out.  Thanks!

You can check their stock online on the Decathlon Website. 

For example - they don't have 8kg Kettlebells in stock - but you can order and they will deliver.

image.thumb.png.1db848ae868d0b64cdedeec208b5bdf2.png