Suay Mok

alaina

Started a new job today where I am the only Western female and there are few Westerners in general. I was given a tour of the place and met more co-workers than I can possibly remember.

One thing the Thai female staff kept saying was that I am very pretty. (I am not bragging, and I figure I'm just okay but lets say that I am very different anatomically than most Thai women and very pale.) I was really embarrassed and had no idea what to say back, it was just so shocking to hear it thirty times in a row. I've noticed that many Thai women say this when first meeting.

All I could do is stutter, smile and look really self-conscious. I would have returned the compliments but I was just completely overwhelmed. What do most women do in this situation? How badly did I screw up?

• 3 weeks later...

i read somewhere that it's normal for thais to say that to anyone just to break the ice or get on your good side. doesn't mean you are not pretty, just means it's a cultural thing.

A good retort for a laugh is "Mae Suay, Bak Wan". Which means I am Not beautiful, Sweet mouth. It gets one out what can be at first uncomfortable situation, so my wife reckons. I just get "Lor Mak na". Tee hee

Edited by lopburiguy

and I figure I'm just okay but lets say that I am very different anatomically than most Thai women and very pale

Thai- and all other Far East women are real jealous about the 'pale' skin (apart from your blessed 'different anatomically figure' :o ) Western women have.

Funny enough, we Westerns want to have a tan...not so the Far East lady.

If you look around when it's sunny, you see the women of the East protecting their faces with umbrellas, books, newspapers and whatever they have on hand.

They probably meant it, making you compliments.

BE HAPPY ABOUT IT :D

LaoPo

• 3 weeks later...
Normally, Thai men and ladies do not really appreciated pale skin with freckles.

???????

I don't know many Thai men/women that want to be 'dum' - most aspire to be as pale as possible, hence the many TV/magazine ads for skin whitening products.

Take the compliments for what they are and enjoy them ... because once you start to understand more Thai you will realise that strangers on the street will comment on your "nom yai", and shop assistants in clothes stores will discuss how "ouan" you are ... right in front of your face - making the assumption you don't understand what they are saying.

Edited by sylvafern

Delight378 has already proven himself hostile to farang women, just take this comment as further proof of that.

I have lovely white skin (good genes) and regularly get the "You have such beautiful skin" compliment on a regular basis. At first, as your typical westerner, I was taken aback because of course, i would prefer to be a little tanner. But now, after many many years in Thailand I have come to appreciate my white skin and wouldn't change it for the world. We all have our own beauty in different ways, white or brown, it doesn't really matter, does it?

sweetie as you said that you have (an very different anatomical body) , I just imagine that may your central finger of your large arm tech your knee or may your feet is longer then your top part of your body or may your head is in square shape .. in this way may thai women and man for not late you gat nervous in public place B cause of this extraordinary body , call you in any imported time , (your beauty full - don’t worry ) or , may sweetie don know that (sowai mak) have tow 2 meaning .. you know what tray this .. when they call you beautiful watch the ton of sound of them ..then you know they use which (sowai mak) for you .. good luck

pett, if your english weren't so bad as to be almost nonunderstandable I might actually suspect you of being insulting here. So to give you the benefit of the doubt I am going to guess that you have actually read the forum rules and aren't being so foolish as to be insulting.

How badly did I screw up?

You didn't screw up - I would have reacted the same way.

Pale skin really does it for them doesn't it, anything different is a novelty wherever you go in the world.

Just say "Thankyou" in English and learn to enjoy it, you feel uncomfortable because maybe your not used to compliments or maybe you feel you're not as attractive as they are telling you, maybe you're just not comfortable with being in the spotlight and feel that by going along with it would be arrogance.

Not to them it wouldn't, as I have said in an another post, the Thai's will say what they think, and what they think and how they think is often very different to how we think.

P.S. Modesty is also attractive and is just the right balance between over and under confident. :o

sweetie as you said that you have (an very different  anatomical body)  , I just imagine that may your central finger  of your large arm tech your  knee or may your feet is longer then your top part of your body  or may your head is in square shape  .. in this  way may thai women and man  for  not late you gat nervous in public place B cause of this extraordinary body , call you in any imported time , (your beauty full - don’t worry ) or  , may sweetie don know that (sowai mak) have tow 2 meaning  .. you know what  tray this .. when they call you beautiful watch the ton of sound of  them ..then you know they use which (sowai mak)  for you .. good luck

When you say the thai word for beautiful always remember that its a high tone as in the mid-low tone it becomes (according to some thais) 'bad luck' !

sbk , jaow !

pleas all of you tray to understand that have to talk in great manners . for just writhing of few word you no need to use your body part even your beautiful skin as subject . this is public place & all watch you guys , public place is not means that you change forum to beauty parlor or hair dresser shop or use forum for your privet ‘ add ‘ I hop- you understand this and , pleas do not look down thai people . Quai mak jaow ,, hai yoooo

sweetie as you said that you have (an very different  anatomical body)  , I just imagine that may your central finger  of your large arm tech your  knee or may your feet is longer then your top part of your body  or may your head is in square shape  .. in this  way may thai women and man  for  not late you gat nervous in public place B cause of this extraordinary body , call you in any imported time , (your beauty full - don’t worry ) or  , may sweetie don know that (sowai mak) have tow 2 meaning  .. you know what  tray this .. when they call you beautiful watch the ton of sound of  them ..then you know they use which (sowai mak)  for you .. good luck

When you say the thai word for beautiful always remember that its a high tone as in the mid-low tone it becomes (according to some thais) 'bad luck' !

As far as I know it... if you say "Sooway" that apparently is bad luck or similar. To say beautiful say it like this "sooaii" imagine the second syllable to be the same as in Hawaii.

totster :o

sbk , jaow !

pleas all of you tray to understand that have to talk in great manners . for just writhing of few word you no need to use your body part even your beautiful skin as subject . this is public place & all watch you guys ,  public place is  not means that you change forum to beauty parlor or  hair dresser shop or use forum for your privet ‘ add ‘ I hop- you understand this and  , pleas do not look down thai people  . Quai mak jaow  ,,  hai  yoooo

<deleted> are you trying to say? Change your attitude or find another forum.

sbk , jaow !

pleas all of you tray to understand that have to talk in great manners . for just writhing of few word you no need to use your body part even your beautiful skin as subject . this is public place & all watch you guys ,  public place is  not means that you change forum to beauty parlor or  hair dresser shop or use forum for your privet ‘ add ‘ I hop- you understand this and  , pleas do not look down thai people  . Quai mak jaow  ,,  hai  yoooo

Can you read English? If you can read it then surely you should learn to write it before you start insulting other people. :o

sbk , jaow !

What? :D

What the <deleted> is wrong with you? :o

sbk , jaow !

What the <deleted> is wrong with you? :D

Pet appears to be inebriated :D

Scampy can you possible translate into coherent English? :o

sbk , jaow !

Okay, here goes...

Sbk, Chill!

Please try to understand all of you that we must talk in graet manners... For the sake of writing just a few words there's no need to use your body part or even your beautiful skin as a subject.

This is a public place so watch out all you guys, that does not mean that you can change you from a beauty parlour or hair dresser shop or use the forum for your privet (does he mean bush?) - and I hope you understand this and please don't look down on Thai people.

Something something something something something. :D

Did that help?

I don't think any of us look down on Thai people, only people who post unsavoury or unreadable comments. :D

sbk , jaow !

Okay, here goes...

Sbk, Chill!

Please try to understand all of you that we must talk in graet manners... For the sake of writing just a few words there's no need to use your body part or even your beautiful skin as a subject.

This is a public place so watch out all you guys, that does not mean that you can change you from a beauty parlour or hair dresser shop or use the forum for your privet (does he mean bush?) - and I hope you understand this and please don't look down on Thai people.

Something something something something something. :D

Did that help?

I don't think any of us look down on Thai people, only people who post unsavoury or unreadable comments. :D

Thanks Scampy

I thought you would understand after reading your posting regarding

Rebirth etc :D

Please Please do not take offence :D

I find it hard to look down on anyone (5 ft 6ins in bare feet) :D

I have looked at a few of Pets Posting and all seem to be very negative :D

Overall Thai Visa is a very helpful and Informative site

I for one have learnt a lot, my thanks to all who give their time and expertise

Regards

Ivan

Maybe pett doesn't realize this is the Ladies forum and can't figure out why we are discussing women's issues?

And pett, I hardly look down on Thai people having been married to one for 16 years. I only look down on people who post vaguely hostile and insulting posts. :o

you guys look too confuse . and as i understand that you really have not proper respect to thai people , this is may be you live around red light area , or may you look your self too high quality and high class. Or may you belong to those society that poorly till nick drown in racism ,.