Ed Visa Crackdown

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem is that some people who live in Thailand do not want to learn Thai at all. Nobody can teach such a person. With the slightest effort speaking simple Thai is very easy, no need to even attend school as you can pick up simple Thai from Thai people on the street.

Yes, but you neglect to mention the two major impediments to learning ANY foreign language --

1. Advanced age

2. Being American

Writing Thai/Chinese/Japanese in western word is a problem ONLY for english people due to variable pronounciations....

For europeans i can assure you i was able to read chinese and japanese wriiten in western charatcter and people did understand, the sound is very very close to italian.

Unfortunately only chinese and japanese children can read it :)

sorry for OT but thai written in thai looks to me like music...while i can read malesya language very easily...

• 1 month later...

to add to this post.

i readily admit that after my last ed visa app i have NOT been school . just plain not had time so its my own fault.

went to jomtien to see if i could renew again expecting the worst anyway, and prepared for a lao run.

ed visa refused.

many of the schools unofficial tout the ed visa's as a way round leaving Thailand. they should modify this and tell people that they do need to go to lessons and learn basic Thai at least.

no refused stamp . just a glare and a no.

flame away :)

Edited by silentnine

We have a lot of students going to immigration for extensions daily. None was refused. I cannot comment on other schools but Walen students never had a case of refusal.

Walen School - peace of mind

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

An extension refused will mean you have to leave Thailand when your permission to stay ends. There is the possibility to appeal to immigration if you disagree with their decission.

But I could change the course and start studying English instead. They would have to re-test me in English, is that correct?

PS. I couldn't learn Thai if my life depended on it. One year in Thailand, Thai gf, classes, Thai friends and I still can't understand a single word of what that lady at immigration says to me :)

Thanks,

Andrew.

An extension refused will mean you have to leave Thailand when your permission to stay ends. There is the possibility to appeal to immigration if you disagree with their decission.

But I could change the course and start studying English instead. They would have to re-test me in English, is that correct?

Thanks,

Andrew.

No one knows?

IF your native language is engrish, you CANNOT study engrish in thailand. :)

BUT if by some means your mother tongue isn’t engrish, :D but say maybe russian, african, arabic, or any other language, they will NEVER ever ask you ONE question..

IF your native language is engrish, you CANNOT study engrish in thailand. :)

BUT if by some means your mother tongue isn't engrish, :D but say maybe russian, african, arabic, or any other language, they will NEVER ever ask you ONE question..

I'm gonna switch from Thai to English course, then.

Me no speakah good Engrish, me wants to learn.

• 3 weeks later...

I am heading back this week for another extension. Not sure if they are still conducting tests. My listening skills are still kind of crappy, perhaps I should get a thai girlfriend. In any case I have put more effort into my studies, I can read almost anything, though reading and knowing the translation of what I read is another story.

I am nervous going in this week as usual, but I do study a lot so it is just a typical response for me

Will let everyone know how it goes.