I'm A Tourist And I Need A Credit Card (or A Debit With Embossing)

samlowry

I need to rent a car for visa runs (we have a baby now), so I can't leave a passport in rental firm. Second option - give them a card with embossing (usually it's a credit card, but sometimes it can be a debit card). I have only debit cards without embossing.

Can I, as a tourist, get any card with embossing in Thai banks and how to do it?

There are some banks (ask around) that will give you a limited credit card (50,000 Baht), but you will have to set up a timed deposit of 100K Baht with them for the duration. Charges on the card will be deducted from your normal account with them, the 100K is just for their security for when you do a runner (as it is impossible even with timing tricks to get more that 100K out of that limited card).

Banks around here don't expose themselves to any risk (and they're better off for that).

Anyways it's possible, though not all banks do this, and every branch is its own Kingdom, so do shop around.

thaimiller: yep, I did the same thing before, in Pop service exactly. But 2 weeks ago I came to them and they didn't want to any words from me - they wanted passport, period. Maybe you can advice an office, where you rent a car by this way? I tried an office opposite Thapae Gate.

anonymouse: later, now we do a breastfeeding. And I plane to rent a car sometimes, but don't plane to leave my passport.

Jdietz: yep, thanks for advice. My friend told me about some credit card from SCB, with strict limits, but he couldn't say, what the name of that card.

thaimiller: yep, I did the same thing before, in Pop service exactly. But 2 weeks ago I came to them and they didn't want to any words from me - they wanted passport, period.

Both Pop and North Wheels will hire vehicles to you if you have a Thai licence with a local address, with no demands for a passport as security.

On the address thing, I have 2 Thai driver's licenses - car and motorcycle. Both are 5 year licenses & both were issued in Chiang Mai. The car license has my address printed on the back but the motorcycle address has no address anywhere (and yes, I can read Thai). I don't know what the rule is on this, but it seems that not all Thai DLs have an address.

As for the OP's strange predicament, how about getting a car/van & driver to take you to the border & back? It shouldn't cost too much more than renting a car, and I'm guessing that those extra baht wouldn't really be an issue.

That's a strange post. Why don't you just leave the family at home when you make a "visa run"? Just hop the bus and take your passport with you which you will need anyway. You'll be back the same day. Or why not get a one year visa to avoid the headache of it all?

Maybe wife and baby need visas too.

I recommend you just find a car and driver and avoid the hassle of the bank, card, rental agency. Enjoy the ride!

I am curious to know what kind of Thai license you guys have? One with no address and one with the address on the back?? Both my 5 year car license and my 5 year motorbike license have my address clearly on the front. As for the OP...take a van for your visa run. Plenty are available and cheaper than a rental car.

I am going to the transport office today and demand a new drivers license with an address on it and also a free trip to Mae Sai as compensation for them failing to put the address on the first time. Then I get my visa run free and do not have to go through all this about car rentals, credit cards, what kind of visa to get and whether or not to leave the wife and child at home (that is always best).

dam_n it MaeJoe Man, just because lucky you and your friends can rent a car without a passport or deposit does not mean that Sam Lowry or I could even if we took our mother-in-laws to do the talking and use their credit cards.

I am curious to know what kind of Thai license you guys have? One with no address and one with the address on the back?? Both my 5 year car license and my 5 year motorbike license have my address clearly on the front. As for the OP...take a van for your visa run. Plenty are available and cheaper than a rental car.

My licence is the old style pink "laminated paper", and has the address on the front. Ms. Bino has the new "smart card" license, and the address is on the back.

dam_n t MaeJoe Man, just because lucky you and your friends can rent a car without a passport or deposit does not mean that Sam Lowry or I could even if we took our mother-in-laws to do the talking and use their credit cards.

No luck involved Bill. I have hired from Hertz and Avis and neither have asked to even see my passport. I took a rental from Pop a while back, and all they asked for was my licence. As an aside, it's both illegal to ask to retain your passport, and hold it as ransom against damage.

All current 5 year vehicle licences have your address in Thai on the reverse side. The old paper ones had it on the front.

All in the fashion that you present yoursef I would imagine :)

My licence is the old style pink "laminated paper", and has the address on the front. Ms. Bino has the new "smart card" license, and the address is on the back.

Seems you have cracked the code to all of this licence address rubbish :)

Not so fast on the code: my 5 year automobile license, the new plastic kind issued 18 months ago in Chiang Mai, has no address on the back or front. (In my earlier post I incorrectly said it was my motorcycle license with no address). Maybe mine's a fluke but it just ain't so that all driver's licenses have an address. I've got the proof in my wallet. Anyway, that's enough for me on this issue.

Not so fast on the code: my 5 year automobile license, the new plastic kind issued 18 months ago in Chiang Mai, has no address on the back or front. (In my earlier post I incorrectly said it was my motorcycle license with no address). Maybe mine's a fluke but it just ain't so that all driver's licenses have an address. I've got the proof in my wallet. Anyway, that's enough for me on this issue.

Maybe you didn't pay the extra 100 baht for the "smart ASEAN" licence :) Althought my first 5 year licence which I have just renewed also had my address on the back.

As Neverdie said, consistant inconsistancies :D

dam_n t MaeJoe Man, just because lucky you and your friends can rent a car without a passport or deposit does not mean that Sam Lowry or I could even if we took our mother-in-laws to do the talking and use their credit cards.

No luck involved Bill. I have hired from Hertz and Avis and neither have asked to even see my passport. I took a rental from Pop a while back, and all they asked for was my licence. As an aside, it's both illegal to ask to retain your passport, and hold it as ransom against damage.

All current 5 year vehicle licences have your address in Thai on the reverse side. The old paper ones had it on the front.

All in the fashion that you present yoursef I would imagine :)

Right MaeJoe Man, it is about the fashion that you present yourself, next time I will try it without the mother-in-law.

You say you are a tourist .

I never heard of a tourist have to make a visa run. they go back home after a while.

Get areal visa if you have genuine reasons to stay in Thailand

what is your problem? when we first came here we didn't know how long we wanted to stay for our year holiday and had to do a visa run to get another tourist visa. Tourism is a genuine reason to stay in Thailand