What Are The Ways Cnx To Bkk Train Bus Or Plane

gravion

Hiya around next week i wanna goto BKK. But air fare costs like total of 5000-6000B return by airasia.

Im interested in going by train and cost way cheaper right? im totally new to this, i could book one from the chiang mai railway station?

do i need to take a passport? also hows the trip like...? is it like 4 ppl in one room sort of style?

as for bus im not really keen on riding on it for like 13 hrs?? im gonna puke...

Surely you can get cheaper flights than that. Maybe Nok Air? Then again with it being Christmas, who knows.

Train is the slowest but also the most comfortable. You should book both legs well in advance. It's just seating that converts to proper beds at nighttime. You can get a full nights sleep so the length is not much of an issue. It takes about 14 hours.

Buses take <10 hours as long as you book via a proper company at the bus station and not a tourist VIP bus that you'll book from travel agents and guesthouses. Costs for buses and trains ~600-1000 baht each way.

Train it!! Don't forget to book a few days in advance as 1st and 2nd class tend to sell out fast. We have gone by 1st and 2nd class, and honestly the 2nd class is almost nicer with the exception of not having your own private room. It's a great experience too! Good luck!

We love to travel by train. I took the day train once to Bangkok and while it was cheap and fairly comfortable, it was boring and the food choices were very limited. Bring food and drink with you for the day train.

There are more food options on the night trains. We've done both 1st and 2nd class and the only time I'd recommend 1st is if you have a lot of luggage you're worried about securing. You don't get a private toilet in 1st class, so all that extra fare gets you is some more privacy to use your electronic toys and security for them. We put our electronics under our pillows when going 2nd class and don't use them during the trip.

You might want to see a recent thread I did about being overcharged at the CM rail station. I'd suggest studying the timetable on line and bringing it with you when you buy your ticket. They book up during the holidays so you might have to change your plans while standing at the ticket window. Don't let the ticket seller (or others in line) rush you and be sure you understand all the charges before giving any money.

I asked about 3rd class travel and was told they don't take reservations for that class -- you just show up and hope a seat is available. I've never traveled 3rd class and the cool season would be a good time for a trial, but probably not for a 14 hour trip!

yoyoyo whz up with thiz shizzle? so all those fuzzies i see fares as low as 920baht to bkk r all bs aiii

nokair

1 fare 809

tax,fee and surcharge 1280

total 2089

airasia

0.00 THB icon_plus.gif, Services and Fees Economy 1,751.00 THB 1 Guest @ 1,751.00 100.00 THB Airport Tax 129.57 THB Value Added Tax

If you book far in advance it's cheaper on Air Asia. If you want to book for the next couple days, it's more expensive.

if you don't like it then there's always the bus or the train. Or hitchhiking.

It's almost like there's an unexpected public-holiday or two coming-up ? :D Yo-ho-ho and Sawadee-bi-mai to all ! :D

The bus costs 600-800 Baht each way, takes perhaps 8-9 hours depending on meal-stop or pick-up/drop-offs along the way, and goes from Arcade Bus Station. Several morning-departures arrive same-day, or there are very many overnight-departures, if you want to save the cost, of a night in a guest-house.

But the train is quite fun, if very slow, and the late-evening departure from Hualumpong (returning from Bangkok) gives you the last 5-6 hours in daylight, that's where you're winding along narrow river-valleys & up the side of the bamboo-jungle-covered gorge, north of Lampang ! I too agree that 2nd-class sleeper, or reclining-chair, is best ... but I agree that Thai train-travel isn't for anybody in-a-hurry. :)

Edited by Ricardo