Canon Kiss Kit

gerryBScot

I just bought this kit from Pix-One in Fortune Town, 29,800b including EFS 18-55m IS and 55-250m IS. Basically it is the EOS 500D packaged for the Japanese market; I guess the rest of us don't want a camera with the name Kiss on it! I have to say after 24 hours playing with it I am really pleased with initial results as well as the price. In fact I am relieved I didn't opt for a more complex model like the EOS 7D; it seems that has sold out in any event. However there are plenty of features and toys in the Kiss to learn so I reckon this is a pretty good entry level deal. Shop guarantee for 1 year. very happy with the guy who dealt with me. Just FYI. add .com to the store name

Happy, you're enjoying your new kit. It's a completely different camera than the 7D though. Can't really compare. One is an entry level body the other is a reasonably featured prosumer body with superior build quality like dust/moisture sealing properties, hence the large difference in price.

If it's your first dslr enjoy the creativity that it offers!

I just bought the EOS 450D, but in Japan, so it was called an EOS Kiss x2, and as the instructions were in Japanese, I couldn't read them, so tried to download, but to no avail. I have since discovered that 450D and Kiss x2 are the same, so have downloaded these instructions and am beginning to enjoy using my first DSLR. I've used several SLRs in the past, but recently have been using a pocket Casio Exilm, which was fine for its purpose.

I bought the 450D 6 months ago and love it! It was a huge step up from my little point and shoot and the difference is apparent in almost every shot, but I doubt I'll ever be ready to step up to the 7D.

You may be surprised at how quickly you learn and the 'bug' takes hold. The 7D is no more difficult to use it's simply a better built camera with a few more features to assist your "creativity".

Yeah it's "grey" with a shop warranty and I was prepared to take the risk that involves for the saving. I am not a pro, so a camera is not mission critical and I have a little compact as a back up in the event I have to use the shop warranty and that involves being without a camera for a few weeks or so. I was very happy with the experience in the shop....they were doing brisk business and I didn't get a sense they were a fly by night operation. You pays your money and you takes your chance as we say back in the UK. I am really enjoying the kit and I am glad I opted for this model as a first step in dSLR photography. I was in Khao Yai yesterday and was using it with the 55-250 mm zoom to snap birds ....(prettty difficult and I can see me buying a 400mm lens in the next few months cos I saw some very rare birds and my results don't do the birds justice!) ....but great for learning how to manual focus and stuff. The store gave me a CD rom with the manual in English but good to get the online links.Many thanks

Yeah it's "grey" with a shop warranty and I was prepared to take the risk that involves for the saving. I am not a pro, so a camera is not mission critical and I have a little compact as a back up in the event I have to use the shop warranty and that involves being without a camera for a few weeks or so. I was very happy with the experience in the shop....they were doing brisk business and I didn't get a sense they were a fly by night operation. You pays your money and you takes your chance as we say back in the UK. I am really enjoying the kit and I am glad I opted for this model as a first step in dSLR photography. I was in Khao Yai yesterday and was using it with the 55-250 mm zoom to snap birds ....(prettty difficult and I can see me buying a 400mm lens in the next few months cos I saw some very rare birds and my results don't do the birds justice!) ....but great for learning how to manual focus and stuff. The store gave me a CD rom with the manual in English but good to get the online links.Many thanks

I wouldnt get worked up about it being 'grey' but obviously theres a savings with it being so. I bought a camera body through an authorised dealer & got the factory warranty but it only applies in the country in which I bought the Camera (not thailand), so if something goes wrong with the body, im either waiting until i go back to where I bought it from (I travel there a couple of times a year) or Im paying for it to be fixed.

Interestingly the lenses, all of which were made in Japan come with an international warranty.

anyway, most camera gear only offers 12 months warranty, at which time ur on your own anyway. Good luck with your new Camera.

I wouldnt get worked up about it being 'grey' but obviously theres a savings with it being so. I bought a camera body through an authorised dealer & got the factory warranty but it only applies in the country in which I bought the Camera (not thailand), so if something goes wrong with the body, im either waiting until i go back to where I bought it from (I travel there a couple of times a year) or Im paying for it to be fixed.

Interestingly the lenses, all of which were made in Japan come with an international warranty.

anyway, most camera gear only offers 12 months warranty, at which time ur on your own anyway. Good luck with your new Camera.

Let me assure you I am far from being worked up !!!

yeah it's a good move until the camera develops a fault! lol ....
Canon will always fix it for you.

No warranty, you have to pay.

Correct & Correct.

I was looking at buying a fixed 50mm lense & the price difference between grey and dealer one was quite staggering, made me think that I couldnt go past the grey, afterall what can go wrong with a fixed lense.....famous last words :)