Thai Airways Chairman Faces Baggage Probe

churchill

Perhaps, instead of terminating the great leader, that he work off the debt by actually working at TG, say perhaps as one of the people that must clean a economy section lavatory after a flight from Bangalore or Dhaka. :D

Based on normal procedures to Government Officials who have been caught doing wrong :), I expect he will be moved post-34728-1261289259.gif to an INACTIVE POST :D and paid his normal salary :D , until it is forgotten and then brought back into the HiSo fold :D .

WHERE'S THE FRUIT????????AT what Wat did he deliver it too??????

And is Budda that hungry?????

Kinda remindes me of a politician who refused to grant

an interview because"his stars were not aligned".

As one Ameician president once said "I did NOT have sex with that woman"

As Donald Trump would say "Your fired".

These guys usually come with a lot of baggage, from their last positions,

and continue to accumulate until severance pay kicks in.

Shame is not an option because it is generally not understood.

Why run a company if you aren't allowed to run rough shod across it?

• 3 weeks later...

Thai Airways Official Resigns Amid Baggage Scandal

BANGKOK -- Thai Airways International PCL's board executive chairman, Wallop Bhukkanasut, has resigned amid allegations he and his wife evaded excess baggage charges on a flight from Japan to Bangkok.

Mr. Wallop's resignation from the board of Thai Airways and its budget airline Nok Air is effective Tuesday, Thai Airways Chairman Ampon Kittiampon said Tuesday. He added that an investigation report into the incident will be presented to the board on Jan. 15.

On Nov. 14, Mr. Wallop and his wife along with an associate loaded 398 kilograms of luggage onto a Thai Airways flight from Japan to Bangkok, Mr. Ampon said, adding that more than 150 kilograms of that amount was excess baggage.

"His resignation has set an ethical standard for the airline's executives on responsibility," said Mr. Ampon.

Attempts to reach Mr. Wallop for comment were unsuccessful.

Mr. Wallop's resignation may further harm the reputation of Thai Airways, which has long faced questions over its transparency and been accused of rewarding politically connected executives. However, Mr. Wallop was one of several senior directors at the airline and his departure is unlikely to have any impact on the company's business direction.

Last October, the government appointed Piyasvasti Amranand as president of Thai Airways. He immediately unveiled wide-ranging plans to revitalize the company, including a multimillion effort to overhaul the seats and in-flight entertainment on its aircraft.

The former energy minister, who has complained about the difficulties in running the airline because of the enormous level of red tape, has also vowed to improve the airline's financial structure.

Separately, Mr. Ampon told reporters earnings in the fourth-quarter will be company's the strongest for last year due to improving traffic and better aircraft utilization.

In the third quarter, Thai Airways posted a net loss of 4.03 billion baht ($121.4 million), compared with a net profit of 426.2 million baht a year earlier.

Mr. Ampon also said he expects the airline's 2009 earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and amortization to exceed 24 billion baht.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...=googlenews_wsj

Embattled THAI's executive board resigns

By The Nation

Thai Airways International Plc (THAI)'s executive chairman Wallop Bhukkanasut resigned on Tuesday over his alleged involvement into the excess baggage scandal.

His resignation takes effect on Tuesday. Wallop had taken leave after the airline set up a panel to investigate into an allegation that he was accused of using his position to dodge excess baggage fees.

Wallop was accused of forcing the airline to carry 30 pieces of luggage weighing a combined o170 kilogrammes free of charge, on their flight from Tokyo's Narita airport to Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport on November 14 last year.

They are also accused of channelling the baggage through a special route to avoid paying taxes and fees.

Wallop has denied any abuse of executive power, saying the report was politically motivated.

The permitted baggage weights for economy, business and first-class passengers are 20kg, 30kg and 50kg per person, respectively. Passengers are subject to excess charges if their permitted luggage weight is exceeded.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The whole sad affair was worth it !! Some posts were brilliant --- some hilarious

Piyasvasti Amranand, Thai Airways president

“When you promote people who have connections but no ability, initially it’s OK," :D

Hardback

"Another heartwarming story about one of the well-educated members of Thailand's elite class." :)

TAWP

"Off with his head! I'm serious." :D

sharecropper

"Coincidentally his wife runs a souvenir stall in Bangkok selling Japanese items" :D

salty

"Yet another example of a well off greedy Thai. He sounds like he would be ideal for any Government cabinet" :D

animatic

"Why run a company if you aren't allowed to run rough shod across it?" :D:D

Yes Tig it was a interesting read.

I bet at this point Wallop wishes he had opened up his Wallet

and just paid the fees, He would be money in the bank now,

in the job, and not on the street.

Edited by animatic

Indeed.

And I have no idea of this guys political affiliation (he said the reason is was brought up was for political reasons) - and I could not care less. If he is dirty he should go. A zero-tolerance policy is in the end the only thing that could this nation a fresh start from the old guard.

Indeed.

And I have no idea of this guys political affiliation (he said the reason is was brought up was for political reasons) - and I could not care less. If he is dirty he should go. A zero-tolerance policy is in the end the only thing that could this nation a fresh start from the old guard.

Can't agree more. This may go down as one of the more momentous events in combatting corruption in Thailand. It isn't too often (in fact I can't remember ever) that a very senior member of a government agency gets done for this kind of thing.

Hiphip Hooray!

Edited by Thai at Heart

Mr Wallop was quoted as saying he had not intended to tarnish THAI's reputation"

But he & His wife are willing to TRY to abuse they position and TRY to take "some one's ELSE" luggage to plain with out paying it.

And what is International Rules say for NORMAL passengers..NEVER carry or take some one ELSES luggage to the plain, as you knver know what might be in there,, So he might carrying Drugs to japan already how long by now,, but we dont know that...

What odds that this crook finds a place in the boardroom of the State Railways? Or as financial advisor to Upper Volta? Chad? Mauritania?

State Railways might be a bit more appropriate. Somehow I don't think he wants that kind of a job. TG comes with so much more opportunity for fun.

Hopefully, the TG cash cow might finally be coming to a halt. I remember a story years ago when someone did "due diligence" on Thai with a view to possibly privatizing it. The amount of benefits accrued to any board member and his spouses for life were quite astonishing, and it went way beyond tickets.

I don't mind people getting some kinds of perks for working for companies but, we all know that over time this gets abused if it isn't watched. No one has watched TGs perks and privileges since it's inception so one can only imagine. As someone mentioned, what is the point of running a business if you can't expense your lifestyle through it? It works in the private sector, so I can see how some misplaced logic would mean that it should apply in the public sector too.

"Thai Airways International Plc (THAI)'s executive chairman Wallop Bhukkanasut resigned on Tuesday over his alleged involvement into the excess baggage scandal."

An excellent outcome --- and totally unexpected.

I would suggest that his "connections" may have faded somewhat. Perhaps they no longer have the clout they once did ?? Either-way -- it is far from the usual outcome. Others have been involved in much greater transgressions -- and simply ignored any protest. It has soon been forgotten.

Could it be that justice is ......... Oh ... sorry .... silly me!!

Still --- the best contribution .....

sharecropper

"Coincidentally his wife runs a souvenir stall in Bangkok selling Japanese items"

If this is correct .... Oh well ......

The whole sad affair was worth it !! Some posts were brilliant --- some hilarious

Piyasvasti Amranand, Thai Airways president

“When you promote people who have connections but no ability, initially it’s OK," :)

Please take the statement in context. What he meant is that you can get away with it, but it eventually catches up to you and you pay the price. He was and is still right.

Mr. Amranand has been trying to manage an airline. He had a ball and chain around his neck. I predict he will start making important positive changes.