Tuk-tuks Clearly A Bane To Phuket Tourism

webfact

As much as I support the avoid the tuk tuk sentiments (and I do not use them even when it is pouring rain) it is extremely difficult for tourists that do not stay in Patong. We can make all the statements we want, but the people that need to be warned, are not aware.

Do you think the tourists on their package tours out of Australia and Scandanavia are aware of this garbage? The tour agencies do not warn them. Neither do TaT, nor do the airlines and their respective governments have watered down advisories. The people that are getting ripped off are often those most vulnerable: Frazzled parents transporting tired kids, elderly folks and those with infirmities. No matter how many people say they won't return there is always someone out there that will take their place and allow the cycle of deceit to continue. If things are really to change, there must be a concerted effort by visitors to avoid the tuk tuks and that requires action in their respective countries via the media to warn people about this.

There will be no change in Phuket because there is zero incentive to do so. Look at the Jet ski results. The limited changes in behaviour, the insurance came about because of outside pressure, not because anyone locally woke up one morning and said hey, it's not nice to rip off tourists. Give the locals an incentive to change by public shaming and the holding back of tourist revenues.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If hotels and resorts refuse to use their over-priced and poor services they set up roadblocks and threaten places with intimidation until they cave.

Police are powerless or on the take as per usual.

I recall a forum from a few months ago where the Governor of the Island said he was going to make changes in the tourist ripoff trade. Did he die ?

Been spending 3-4 days a week in Phuket for a month or more,

never been hassled by Tuk Tuk drivers, but I have my truck,

or rent a bike for 200baht a day, and bring my own helmet.

If you are totally tourist, then it is just part of the scene and pay as you go,

if not, you need not be trapped by them inevitably.

I have been enjoying my visits and don't quite understand the negative sentiments above,

I like Chaing Mai too, but hassle can happen anywhere regardless.

This article is right. I used to go to Phuket. The tuk tuk situation and transport problems for going between areas on the island is probably the major reason I no longer visit there.

I wholeheartedly agree. To avoid using them you are constrained in your choice of hotel by location. I was there twice this year and on both times it was the thought of greasing their palms with unwarranted amounts which really annoyed me. Where in Pattaya I'd have jumped on a bus to get around a little, I was not going to pay Bt200 and upwards for what would be Bt10 in Pattaya. I got slightly wet when it rained and broke into a sweat on a couple of walks but I would not be held to ransom.

Unless you want a hotel on the beach and you don't travel, then why bother with Phuket ? There is something wrong when your "public" transport option ends up costing you more than your hotel to travel around.

Have to agree that the mafia there is one big reason I no longer visit. Same with Samui. I am voting with my money...and choose not to spend it there!

I was in Samui a few years ago. Wanted to go from Lamai to Chewang. They were asking stupid prices. Some guy agreed to a reasonable price, but before we could leave, the local mafia types surrounded him and we had to get out. Luckily, we met up with him on the main road and still got a ride. But that kind of treatment is just plan crazy. They are shooting themselves in the foot and don't even know it....

I knew Lamai a long time ago but Chaweng won that war. I was last there in 2005 and I remember the lunacy of the demands to transport us from Lamai to Chaweng. That is definately a major factor as to why I have not been back since.

However, I think that if the "doing the circuit" baht buses did not already exist in Pattaya, then the situation would be exactly the same.

At last some press coverage, let's just hope it's not dropped for the next story too soon. Only continuous coverage will bring change. Let alone the prices which are nothing short of harrods or prada, have you seen how they block the one way system at night in Patong. Not just the tuk tuks but the motorcycle taxis are backing the same game.

As much as I support the avoid the tuk tuk sentiments (and I do not use them even when it is pouring rain) it is extremely difficult for tourists that do not stay in Patong. We can make all the statements we want, but the people that need to be warned, are not aware.

Do you think the tourists on their package tours out of Australia and Scandanavia are aware of this garbage? The tour agencies do not warn them. Neither do TaT, nor do the airlines and their respective governments have watered down advisories. The people that are getting ripped off are often those most vulnerable: Frazzled parents transporting tired kids, elderly folks and those with infirmities. No matter how many people say they won't return there is always someone out there that will take their place and allow the cycle of deceit to continue. If things are really to change, there must be a concerted effort by visitors to avoid the tuk tuks and that requires action in their respective countries via the media to warn people about this.

There will be no change in Phuket because there is zero incentive to do so. Look at the Jet ski results. The limited changes in behaviour, the insurance came about because of outside pressure, not because anyone locally woke up one morning and said hey, it's not nice to rip off tourists. Give the locals an incentive to change by public shaming and the holding back of tourist revenues.

I agree Geriatrickid, but the internet is full with informations also about the tuk tuk scam in Phuket. Should a tourist not inform itselft before he travels to somewhere?

The TAT will not inform the tourists as long as there is no attention like in the case of the jetski scam. If you go to an TAT office you will see how they work, they are friendly but there is no really response, so I ask myself why are they working like this? Is it not in the intention of TAT to get more tourists to Thailand and serve them better?

The traffic in Phuket has increased dramatically over the past years, specially in high season. Many foreigners rent cars and motobike and dont have a clue of Thai traffic rules, that cause hundreds if not thousands of accidents every year now and thats not at least because of the tuk tuk prices and lack of a transportation system. For a trip with a tuk tuk from kata to karon one can rent a motobike. For the money of a trip from the Airport to Patong its easy to rent a car.

There are still some tourists which need the tuk tuks like you mentioned above, even if they are cheated by the masters of wheels, thats why we need a public transportation system and FIXED PRICES

I agree with Geriatrickid. Boycott and vote with your feet all you want. It won't affect the tuk tuk's one little bit. They will still treat the golden goose with absolute contempt.

Patong exists for one reason only - to part you from your money and the tuk tuk's are just part of that economy.

Like most people, I despise them. But I know that I can't win, and they just don't care. You see hundreds parked all the way along the beach road and every one asks you "tuk tuk?" as you walk past. "dam_n I didn't see that othe 99 that I just walked past. Why, yes kind driver, I would like a tuktuk".

Just last week, I returned a motorbike I had rented for 200baht a day and went to McDonalds. When I came out I needed a tuktuk to take me back up the hill at the south end of Patong. The first driver said "300 baht". I told him in Thai that he was an idiot and should be ashamed of how he treats tourists. I then walked to the other side of beach road and tried to stop a passing empty tuk tuk, only to be told by the first lazy tuk tuk driver that "they cannot stop to pick anyone up" and that "I had to take one of the ones waiting".

We all know those guys will wait all day for that crazy fare from a faimily, group of Japanes tourists or a long distance. They dont want the short trips as they lose they spot in the queue.

In the end I walked to Bangla and jumped a motorcycle taxi for 60baht.

This will never change, and anyone who tries better have life insurance - way too much money involved at many levels.

My folks were here just last week, both in their late 60's.

They caught a tuk tuk from Kata to Patong and they agreed to pay 600 baht for the journey.

Once arriving at Patong beach, my father handed the driver a 1000 baht note,the driver snatched it and drove off and not giving my father his 400 baht change.

They have no shame, just keep stealing and scamming with no foresight into the future.

I can see why there a no Thai chess champions, they can't think more than 2 moves ahead.

Moral of the story is: Don't exit the tuk tuk without collecting your change first.

My folks were here just last week, both in their late 60's.

They caught a tuk tuk from Kata to Patong and they agreed to pay 600 baht for the journey.

Once arriving at Patong beach, my father handed the driver a 1000 baht note,the driver snatched it and drove off and not giving my father his 400 baht change.

They have no shame, just keep stealing and scamming with no foresight into the future.

I can see why there a no Thai chess champions, they can't think more than 2 moves ahead.

Moral of the story is: Don't exit the tuk tuk without collecting your change first.

That really sucks Syd...

Sometimes I really feel bad for the new tourists in Phuket. They are so friendly and trusting and go home saying how lovely the local people are. They shake hands and engage with every idiot Tailor with his stupid Australian accent, or politely tell each and every tuk tuk driver up beach "no thank you".

But I see and hear the prices discussed, and I hear what they say behind the backs of these tourists as they walk away.

I guess its all part of the experience of Patong.

I recall when I moved to Chiang Mai 4 years ago, I needed a ride from Tapae Gate to the airport - maybe 3 km. I flagged down a red Samlor (?) and asked him in Thai how much to the airport. He held up 5 fingers and I thought he was saying 500baht. I gave him a bit of a verbal beatdown, only for him to say "no, no, no...50 baht". My Patong scam-o-meter was way too sensitive and I apologised and ended up giving him 100baht because I felt bad.

If they can work it out in Pattaya, and now they have this one way system in Patong, you would think they could do something similar....but alas, it will never happen.

All you sanctimonious Chiang Mai guys and gals!

I paid 350B for a bus from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai. When I arrived at the bus station at 1 in the morning, I was a captive audience--only tuk tuks available to take me to the nearest hotel--about 3 to 4 km. No one would allow me to bargain under 300B--almost the same as my bus fare for traveling 600km!

Rip-offs are everywhere among the Tuk-Tuk Mafia---Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bangkok--it doesn't matter where.

My "sweet" memories of the Phuket tuk-tuk mafia were when I rented a motorcycle, and accidentally chose a public parking spot to park next to the beach in Patong. The only problem, was that the public parking spots had been taken over by the waiting tuk-tuk drivers. I suddenly saw a very different side of Thais--snarling and threatening would be an understatement. Absolutely no concession for giving allowance to a new tourist who didn't "know the ropes." It was like being chased away by a pack of soi dogs. No, worse.

Left a very bad taste in my mouth for Phuket, and particularly the human wasteland that Patong has become.

JJ video on Youtube says it all. Ripping people off, threatening there lives all in plain view of Mr. Brown who is in on the take. Soon to be the “Hub” of empty tourist resorts. A sad story getting sadder. Who will JJ robe when all the tourist fade away.

JJ video on Youtube says it all. Ripping people off, threatening there lives all in plain view of Mr. Brown who is in on the take. Soon to be the "Hub" of empty tourist resorts. A sad story getting sadder. Who will JJ robe when all the tourist fade away.

"JJ" on YouTube search brings up 136,000 videos. "JJ video" brings up 27,000. "JJ tuk-tuk" brings up a TV interview with a boy band.

Could you be just a little more vague? :)

JJ video on Youtube says it all. Ripping people off, threatening there lives all in plain view of Mr. Brown who is in on the take. Soon to be the "Hub" of empty tourist resorts. A sad story getting sadder. Who will JJ robe when all the tourist fade away.

"JJ" on YouTube search brings up 136,000 videos. "JJ video" brings up 27,000. "JJ tuk-tuk" brings up a TV interview with a boy band.

Try: JJ Jet Ski Thailand

3 km for 200 baht, is absurd. And someone charged me that

just to go to 7/11 for smokes, EACH WAY...

I have since quit smoking.

I used to think Samui's Taxi Mafia was bad, till i checked

Phuket prices, I rent a bike instead of even thinking about it.

This is Thailand, Land of Scams/Lack of Sanctions = LOS

Add me to the don't go to Phuket list.

I also tell my friends when they are going there to expect western prices or more for transport. Some change their bookings to other paces with sensible local transport.

As I have observed some Thai "reasoning" the prices are sure to go up b/c (correct me if I am wrong) when the demand lessens many believe that is a sign to RAISE the price??????? Still confused about that type or rational.

TIT eh.

Try: JJ Jet Ski Thailand

It was a tough logic jump from "tuk-tuks" to "jet-skis" but now I get it. Thanks. :D

I too must add my doom and gloom with regards to Phuket & Samui taxis and tuk tuks. Whilst its always been a bit shady I noticed that these problems escalated when the one way systems were introduced into Patong and Chaweng. Prior to this it was still possible to buzz up and down for 20ish baht. The bit of extra work required to get back seems to have resulted in increases of 500% and more.

On the issue of shady taxis, I had an original experience at the new immigration building last week. After watching the fella stick the meter on I wasn't paying any attention until after 5 mins I glanced back to see the meter at 157 baht! The cheeky git then had the balls to suggest that it wasn't his fault and tried to negotiate a comedy fee of 300 baht for the journey (Laksi - PinkLao).

Such a shame, I'd had a positive experience at the new immigration where everyone was super smiley and helpful only to have that lurking outside. Sort this shit out Abhisit. Do you really want such scum polluting your nice new building? Why not have a taxi monitor who could black list the shits, I'll even let you give them a whistle.

I'm off to Chiang Mai, fair prices and usually more pleasant negotiations!

I first went to Phuket with my family in 1994 and was a regular once/twice a year guy until I moved to Bangkok in 2004. I then used to visit 3-4 times a year until the transport scams, tourist scams, incredibly rude sales people along Patong and hotel prices drove me away. I haven't been there or Samui for 3 years or more preferring quieter, less touristic places where you feel a smile is real and the scumbag is absent. The first people you hear complain about a downturn in the tourist industry are the Phuket boys - well too bad.

Sort this shit out Abhisit. Do you really want such scum polluting your nice new building? Why not have a taxi monitor who could black list the shits, I'll even let you give them a whistle.

Unfortunately NOBODY up there concerns what farang are thinking because there are still enough coming year after year.

Sometimes I wish Phukets governor Khun Wichai Phraisa-ngop read these comments here and react. But I guess if he do so

he just say he cant change anything

my daughter just came back from phuket and said the place was expensive compared to last time she was there,and the tuk tuk drivers would'nt take any less than 200bt each for 3 people from Novotel to the botttom end of Bangla [tai pan ] 600bt just a rip off, and the jetski scum got her for 21,000bt and imtimidated her untill she paid, they wanted 40,000bt, she went to the police but AHH to late you pay allready. i'm going there end of january for a few months, but by the sounds of it ill be looking for somewhere else to go.

Why would anyone wanna go to Phuket?

I don't care for beaches and parties can be found in BKK...guess it would be to meet some of the crazier friends that live most of their time in Patong, but after reading more here about tuk tuk's being far worse than anticipated 'over there' on the west coast, then I guess I will remain herre, happily, in the comfort of paved roads, nightclubs and taxi's that actually use the meter...

Why would anyone wanna go to Phuket?

I don't care for beaches and parties can be found in BKK...guess it would be to meet some of the crazier friends that live most of their time in Patong, but after reading more here about tuk tuk's being far worse than anticipated 'over there' on the west coast, then I guess I will remain herre, happily, in the comfort of paved roads, nightclubs and taxi's that actually use the meter...

I pretty much grew up in Phuket, my mom still lives and works there, so no matter what, I'll always have a fond place in my heart for it. Sure, the tourist centers like Patong are beyond hope, but on the few occasions when I get back down there, I find the rest of the island to be as pleasant as always, well, apart from the traffic. So yeah, the smart visitor rents a bike or car. Motorcycle taxis are still reasonable, though certainly not quite practical for families.

With the introduction of places like Central, Carrefour and so on, you can get pretty much 90% of the amenities of Bangkok, but without the hustle and bustle and dirtiness of the big city :)

Hypothesis: The higher the concentration of farang in any area in Thailand, the worse the place is to live in.

Discuss, using one side of the forum only.

absolutely TRUE and the farangs are not totally innocent of the tuk tuk and other price increase. If Thais only hear cheap cheap cheap when a tuk tuk

20 years ago charged 20-30 Baht, they dont have to wonder if they pay for the same distance now 2-300, same goes for property.

And smiling Thaipeople are history in tourism centers anyway

Hypothesis: The higher the concentration of farang in any area in Thailand, the worse the place is to live in.

Discuss, using one side of the forum only.

Thai attitudes turn to sh*t probably because of the daily abuse of tattooed hooligan scum from the U.K., ancient sex tourists, and a wide assortment of degenerates. Not to put all the blame on the western trash a lot of the thai touts are the cesspool of society as well. It's basically a toilet bowl where sh*t meets sh*t and flushes into one brown and yellow swirl.

General prices and housing also go up because lame brained tourists are too stupid to bargain and aging expats living on pensions don't care.

Quality goes down. Service at even 2nd tier places like MK goes to sh*t because the staff knows they don't have to work as hard to keep any standard when the clientele is bar girls with expat boyfriends. You see more service personnel standing around idle chatting with crap attitudes because they know they don't have to remain presentable for anyone. Scams and other games goes way up as they know they are not held accountable for anything short of maybe mass murder.

Edited by wintermute