Best Washing Machine To Buy?

nattydread

Ok, how 'bout a clothes dryer?

Where and for how much?

At the risk of being flogged for an "off topic" post.... I shall answer your question. I know they have dryers at Seacon Square (sp) in Robinsons. The washer I got for the wife does both, wash & dry. The cost for that was 70K

That said, I think a stand alone dryer is around 20K but I am not very sure about that, because I did not really concentrate on them.

We just bought a house and the wife is trying to "out fit" it with appliances etc etc.

Edited by Dakhar

i bought a 8kg Samsung from Powerbuy

Crikey, that's a little un, mine's at least 50kgs :)

Go with a front loader with the highest temp setting you can afford, op. The top loaders are ok for getting stuff wet, but are not as efficient at washing as the front-loading, gravity washing jobbies. Had a Zanussi for 6 years-plus and works well three times a week.

Good point on the temperature setting.  In the US, pretty much all washers have an input for hot water, but here in Thailand, as hot water is not the norm for all homes, the washer has to have the ability to heat the water.  And hot water is much, much better at cleaning clothes.

Where and for how much?

At the risk of being flogged for an "off topic" post.... I shall answer your question. I know they have dryers at Seacon Square (sp) in Robinsons. The washer I got for the wife does both, wash & dry. The cost for that was 70K

(Mod hat on.)

Don't worry about that being off-topic.  A question about a dryer is certainly close enough to a post about washers to be considered on-topic. 

Where and for how much?

(Mod hat on.)

Don't worry about that being off-topic. A question about a dryer is certainly close enough to a post about washers to be considered on-topic.

Wow, when talking brands I started discussing airconditioners......he was much closer to the topic than me :)

The Samsung that we bought does have a "built in" water heater..... but to be honest I worry about that feature. If it is as crappy as all the water heaters I have seen in Thailand (leaks/poor heating etc) I am thinking a built in water heater could eventually be a major problem.

I believe the wife and I bought 2 toshibas top loaders 7.5K each, and rent them out as "coin operators." They have been working fine for 1 year now. I can tell u they do take a beating. Fortunatley, they have now paid for themselves, so now if they ever break down, there is no loss at this point.

• 1 month later...
I have no idea what make it is, all I remember is paying for it. It's a machine that is exclusively used by the GF. :)

Typical beer guzzling, pie eating, fart dropping male :D

Goes with the old joke, "How did the woman cross the road?"

It doesnt matter, what the hel_l is she doing out of the kitchen?

My wife just remarked that it is amazing how many farang even know where the washing machine IS, MOST Thai men don't know what it is for or what it looks like.

That said ...buy a big'n mate same as one poster said, need to wash dooners and that was the priority of the wife....keep it simple was mine...too many gismos break in this climate. Mind you I have replaced the nylon belt drive on the tub three times already...overloading it my wife says..my fault better let her wash the bloody floor mats one at a time..lol We have 12kg Panasonic twin tub beautiful genuine plastic..about 8k baht

a couple of points..

..Why on earth does anyone need a heater dryer in this climate? Spinning gets 'em almost dry then a couple of hours later...

...would not touch a front loading auto..ever since I used an apartment hotel unit in the states and could not get my f..g undies out to get my flight ..ie door locks during what seems to be a VERY long cycle..... had to get the hotel staff to come and open the door and packed soggy undies ..lol

I can't believe I am entering a discussion on washing..lol .........when I have a 'pile' waiting for me to do!!!

A few weeks ago, we went looking for a washing machine at a newly built electrical superstore in Phetchabun - can't remember the name of the place, but everything is very expensive there, and I'm comparing their prices to the UK. Went upstairs to the washing machines, assistant swooped when he saw I was a farang. :) My wife had the same idea others had mentioned, get a larger size machine for the bedding duvet etc. The assistant led her to an extremely expensive machine, then started conversing with me in English.

"UV" he said. "UV?" I replied. "Yes UV" he reiterated, in a knowing manner. "Oh UV " I said, as If I understood. We left the shop, as my wife likes to look around for a long time before actually spending any money.(Thank goodness). "What does that machine do with the UV," she asked me. "Haven't a clue", I said, at which point we both fell about laughing. Now whenever she does any washing, (still by hand - she still can't decide which machine to get, and I'm definitely not going to decide, and get the blame when it goes wrong :D ), we always at some point, look at the washing and say "UV", before laughing hysterically. Thanks to this chap, washing days are much more fun than they used to be, or so my wife tells me. :D

Interesting Hitachi make alot of the electrical motors for some of the other brands washing machines, I decided to buy a Hitachi 8kg washing machine, it was about 11,000 baht, it would be 18 months old now and has worked really well (touch wood), I would say for the price it does a good job. Previously I owned Fisher and Paykel washing machines and found them to be really good but they are expensive in Thailand.

Do you really think we'd take your advice on a washing machine? We don't want the local babies to start twisting and turning.

I nearly choked on my coffee when I read this one,for laughing too much,nice one.cheesy.gif

My experience with washing machines is you normally get what you pay for. Good ones for me have been LG, Whirlpool, Zanussi. The front loads use less water and more energy efficient. The top Load Whirlpool maybe not the top model but close to it washed my clothes better than any washer I have owned. Every product from LG has been good not great but usually less in prices (good bargain). Samsungs have been disapointing (never a washer though) but cheap in price.

I am looking at the dual washer dryer which seems to be a bit more than buying them separately and you have to finish two cycles before starting on another load. Not good on time management.

My Zanussi is almost 15 yrs old!!!!

Regarding the locking mechanism. You just have to speed up the timer if you want it out earlier. It will not unlock for about 30-60 secs after the completed cycle.

• 8 years later...
On 12/21/2009 at 12:44 PM, neverdie said:

Likewise, I havent been real keen on Samsung in my life but about 18 months ago I let go with my bias and bought two products, an 'inverter' aircon system (not cheap 34,000thb) and a lcd computer monitor.

Firstly the aircon unit went on the blink about 2 or 3 days after it being originally fitted, from that point forward until the end of the saga I had Samsung out to the house up to around 11 or 12 times over a 9 month period. They replaced just about every part in the original unit before giving up on the unit and replacing it with a second 'faulty' unit, which they again attended and replaced just about every part in it. We must have made 100 telephone calls to Samsung HQ regarding the product and in the end one of their service technicians that attended our place (about 6 times) told us he was resigning from the company that day & told us that this particular product had been nothing but trouble. Samsung was fairly ordinary to deal with for about 7 of the 9 months, up to the point where we would make half a dozen to a dozen calls just to get them out to do one inspection or attempt repair. In the end, I contacted Samsung and refused to get off the telephone until I spoke with the Supervisors Supervisor. Eventually they refunded my money and came and uninstalled the unit.

Was a nightmare & despite getting a full refund, I wasnt compensated for the dozen or more times I had to travel to the house at various times to meet the service technicians who would never attend at a set time nor the hundreds of baht I spent in phone calls, not to mention the time & frustration in dealing with them.

The day I got my cheque for the aircon system, my 9 month old Samsung LCD monitor went dead and I happily launched the baaastard out to the nevernever :D (Im not going thru all of that again over a 7,000 baht monitor).

Samsung ------ No way. (Not while theres breath in my body) :)

Interesting Hitachi make alot of the electrical motors for some of the other brands washing machines, I decided to buy a Hitachi 8kg washing machine, it was about 11,000 baht, it would be 18 months old now and has worked really well (touch wood), I would say for the price it does a good job. Previously I owned Fisher and Paykel washing machines and found them to be really good but they are expensive in Thailand.

I've just taken my fists and a hammer (felt so good) to the bane of my life, my shitty Samsung top loader. It has been nothing but trouble from day one and is only a year and a half old. It cost me 11,000 bath. Heading out today to buy a decent front loader. Like yourself I will never ever buy a Samsung product

wife got rid of the top loaders and we bought the large samsung twin tub, 4 years and it is still working great, does a good job with every thing from delicates to the doonas/comforters on the beds. You have to do the water filling etc manually but its worth it as you dont have any faults with an "automatic system" which is why my wife wanted it. Price was very good too, cant go wrong

Budget around 10k baht will get you a cold water top loader that should last for 10 years.

See if you can get a 12 kg or more ...these machines are better for larger items like duvets/doonas etc....

Make sure you pay attention to installation and keep it level.

Avoid twin tubs

The amusing aspect of this thread is that whatever  washing machine was purchased in 2009, is most likely broken or trashed by now. The plastic crap  devices are just awful.

My cheap LG top-loader dates back to 2011 and is still in perfect working order. I expect it to last another 10 years at least.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:44 PM, parryhandy said:

We have an LG top loader big enough to handle duvets. Had it over 10 years averaging a load a day and the only thing that's ever gone wrong with it is the door magnet fell off. Best thing I've ever bought reliability wise. 

well after saying we have a twin tub, on the weekend we went out and the wife bought to top loader LG for the same reason, 15kg capacity, they are supposedly the best selling machines in Thailand and very reliable and have direct drive as well as an inverter

17 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Our Toshiba top loader has lasted 12 years but I want to get one with a heater in it, anybody know of a top loader that heats the water?

I have a Pansonic with a heater.  Works fine.  Will only heat for small loads though.  Lint filter is easy to change but not very efficient.  Will bounce around if doing more than one large thing like a sheet.  It's my 2nd Pansonic.  Got the new one for the hot water and the larger capacity.  Not because I need the space but the larger one is heavier and does not bounce as much as the smaller one.  

• Like 1

On 12/21/2009 at 10:57 AM, bonobo said:

I had an inexpensive top-loading LG, but it didn't wash well, and it quite often destroyed my clothes.  I gave it to a school and bought a front-loading LG.  It has been much, much better.

"...but it didn't wash well, and it quite often destroyed my clothes. I gave it to a school "

How generous of you! Unbelievable... words fail.

On 2/4/2010 at 7:30 AM, David006 said:

My wife just remarked that it is amazing how many farang even know where the washing machine IS, MOST Thai men don't know what it is for or what it looks like.

That's a pretty bizarre statement.  I mean, anyone can walk into a Big C and see washing machines.  Unless your wife only dated dirt poor peasants who've never been in a Big C.

Back on-topic, I've got several friends who have Electrolux and they're quite happy with it. 

On 12/2/2018 at 1:39 PM, geriatrickid said:

The amusing aspect of this thread is that whatever  washing machine was purchased in 2009, is most likely broken or trashed by now. The plastic crap  devices are just awful.

My toploader lasted for over ten years....in the end it was the circuitry in the dash that failed. My second is running perfectly after 4 years.