Settlement In Uk Visa?

A query re the VAF 4 form to settle in UK as spouse. You are asked a date of when you want the visa to start from. I have read hear people receiving visa after 3 days sometimes a bit less and sometimes a bit more. I am going to be in BKK when my gf then wife submits the visa and would like to come back to the UK together but I can only stay a few weeks and by the time we get the bits required to marry and then marry I will have about 9 - 10 days left.

If you put a date on the VAF 4 lets say you submit it today 12th Jan 2010 and say you want the visa to start 19th Jan 2010. If they do not get it done by then and over run because they are busy etc will they refuse the visa because the date requested has passed or will they just give you the date closest to the one asked for.

Or is it the case that if there are no complications, your paper work, evidence etc is spot on they issue the visa same day while you wait.

By the time we apply for the visa we would have known each other for 1 year, married about a day or so, seen each other 3 times in that I have been to Thailand for 1 week, 10 days and 10 days spending every day together. Then she has been with me in the UK for past 5 1/2 months. How does this fare in the time taken to process and get the visa.

We did the tourist visa she had via agency, they were very good in fairness but this time doing alone (well in reality with the help of the great people on thai visa). They told us to put the date required 1 month after date of submission which we did. She ended up with visa a few days later for the date that the request was actually submitted i.e the date she went into the embassy took us by surprise.

Hope the above makes sense to reply too

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above?

A query re the VAF 4 form to settle in UK as spouse. You are asked a date of when you want the visa to start from. I have read hear people receiving visa after 3 days sometimes a bit less and sometimes a bit more. I am going to be in BKK when my gf then wife submits the visa and would like to come back to the UK together but I can only stay a few weeks and by the time we get the bits required to marry and then marry I will have about 9 - 10 days left.

If you put a date on the VAF 4 lets say you submit it today 12th Jan 2010 and say you want the visa to start 19th Jan 2010. If they do not get it done by then and over run because they are busy etc will they refuse the visa because the date requested has passed or will they just give you the date closest to the one asked for.

Or is it the case that if there are no complications, your paper work, evidence etc is spot on they issue the visa same day while you wait.

By the time we apply for the visa we would have known each other for 1 year, married about a day or so, seen each other 3 times in that I have been to Thailand for 1 week, 10 days and 10 days spending every day together. Then she has been with me in the UK for past 5 1/2 months. How does this fare in the time taken to process and get the visa.

We did the tourist visa she had via agency, they were very good in fairness but this time doing alone (well in reality with the help of the great people on thai visa). They told us to put the date required 1 month after date of submission which we did. She ended up with visa a few days later for the date that the request was actually submitted i.e the date she went into the embassy took us by surprise.

The Embassy seem to be 'back to normal' now (after last years horrors) and are processing most straight forward applications within a week or so.

If your requested date has passed before they get to process your application they with just put in the date that they actually processed it.

They won't issue the visa on the same day. You have to take the application to the VFS centre who then forward it on to the Embassy to process, then the Embassy will return it to to the VFS centre again for collection.

The application is assessed on the evidence you provide, not the length of time you have known each other, although, of course, that is one of the factors. A year shouldn't present any problems.

A settlement visa is valid for twenty seven months and your wife will need to be in the UK for two years to qualify for ILR so you have three months to play with anyway so if it was me I would request a date just three/four days ahead of submitting the application, then it will give you maximum time to arrange flights if you're successful.

Good Luck.

The Embassy seem to be 'back to normal' now (after last years horrors) and are processing most straight forward applications within a week or so.

If your requested date has passed before they get to process your application they with just put in the date that they actually processed it.

They won't issue the visa on the same day. You have to take the application to the VFS centre who then forward it on to the Embassy to process, then the Embassy will return it to to the VFS centre again for collection.

The application is assessed on the evidence you provide, not the length of time you have known each other, although, of course, that is one of the factors. A year shouldn't present any problems.

A settlement visa is valid for twenty seven months and your wife will need to be in the UK for two years to qualify for ILR so you have three months to play with anyway so if it was me I would request a date just three/four days ahead of submitting the application, then it will give you maximum time to arrange flights if you're successful.

Good Luck.

Sumrit

Thanks for the info.

Only warry of timescale because of the schedule I have to get to Thailand and back again and would like if possible to come back to UK together. Being self employed taking more than two weeks off at one time can be awkward.

Subject to wife getting settlement visa, would I be correct in assuming that as the visa last 27 months there would be no need to have bought a return ticket to Thailand to show on entry to the UK. I know this was recommended for the tourist visa we had

Subject to wife getting settlement visa, would I be correct in assuming that as the visa last 27 months there would be no need to have bought a return ticket to Thailand to show on entry to the UK. I know this was recommended for the tourist visa we had

spot on there is no requirement to show a return air ticket

good luck

Edited by jack31

My wife will be submitting her settlement application on the 1st Feb when we return to Thailand. (Been in the UK last 5 months on tourist visa)

In case you did not know the Embassy are updating there computers on Monday 8th & 9th so we both will loose 2 processing days. (VFS still open on these days)

We are hoping to return to the UK together on the 23rd Feb.

68% are processed in 10 working days. (Dec 09)

So fingers crossed and good luck to you.