New Tarmac Is Great But...

I'm really pleased the about the new tarmac that is finally starting to cover the ring road. However the drains in Bophut/maenam that they put in last year are now not flush with the road surface. some are about 4 inches below the road level now. they were always dangerous but not they are an absolute death trap, if you go over them at more than 5 kph on a bike you are sure to come off, and they are really hard to see at night.

anyway... does anyone know if there is any plans to raise them up or do something with them? as it is stands now about 25 percent of the roads width is unusable...

Should say GREAT not Breat. posting too early in the morning!

Edited by everydaysthesame

For crying out loud guys give the men a break! They have to lay the tarmac first then they will fill in the drains. Think yourselves lucky you are not back in the UK having the same thing done. There you would have miles of traffic cones, A useless contaflow system and HUNDREDS of speed cameras and it would take arond 5 times as long to complete. There was even some clown saying it was going to be carnage as the tarmac was too black. JEEEEEEEZ

People in my opinion are split into two sorts. Those that see problems and those that see solutions.

You could not drive on the motorbike section of road in Maenam before they layed the new tarmac so no real big difference! The drains now coming into Lamai from Nathon now is no problem.

For crying out loud guys give the men a break! They have to lay the tarmac first then they will fill in the drains. Think yourselves lucky you are not back in the UK having the same thing done. There you would have miles of traffic cones, A useless contaflow system and HUNDREDS of speed cameras and it would take arond 5 times as long to complete. There was even some clown saying it was going to be carnage as the tarmac was too black. JEEEEEEEZ

People in my opinion are split into two sorts. Those that see problems and those that see solutions.

You could not drive on the motorbike section of road in Maenam before they layed the new tarmac so no real big difference! The drains now coming into Lamai from Nathon now is no problem.

I agree, with these comments! If it were Canada too, the same as UK.... perhaps not so many cameras!!! :D They seem to be getting it done very efficiently, with little traffic tie up... Tremendous job... :)

Also most people seem to be driving at a safe speed and not taking advantage, from what I have experienced, so far!

A great improvement, & let's remember" Rome was not built in a day".... either

Calm down, calm down H2oDunc!

Calm down, calm down H2oDunc!

i would say, job well done, and very fast as well, Rome was not build in one day, so give tham a brack, and many thanks to the hard working people, keep up the good work and thanks to the new goverment who made this posible, to invest in the inferstracture on koh samui :D and not in there one pockets as it was before :)

Well said!!!! Stop finding things to moan about and be happy

Not only is the road getting new tarmac, but also the Yellow and black curve signs with the large arrows, are all being redone & replaced ...

There is a crew of 6 of 7 guys, from Suratthani City working on them near my house... they say all major curve signs are going to be replaced around the island...

Nice guys, they even cleaned up the litter around the house they are renting... :) I gave them a thumbs up for that! :D

it's lightning speed is breathtaking!

and yes, the drains, but what about the new tarmac?

It's wonderful, all the terrible tire-eating potholes - GONE!

Anyone had thoughts about the noise reduction?

If they could get die-forged drainage covers.... it would be close to perfect!

Lines are ready in Lamai and also the new road nearly done in Chaweng, they are working fast. I hope they do the road to Chaweng beach, because thats the worst now...

Absolotely! That road is the bussiest, crappeiest road in Samui. It's interesting why so little money is spend on Chaweng that brings most of the income to this island.

I believe it has something to do with feelings of envy by the Thai rulling elites residing mostly in the Nathon area. I have recently mentioned how good it would be to fix the road to Chaweng beach next to a Thai friend who claims to be well connected. His answer was: "For what? To make it easier to take money to Chaweng beach?" (by the tourists I guess). I answered: "or maybe to make it easier to take the money OUT?". Apparently there is no money to do that road. Or maybe they would feel they are doing something for Farang that don't deserve help like people in Nathon, Suratthani or somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What out and out utter tosh. Just how can re laying the road bring about more casualties ? They have done the job in record time with minimal inconvenience. As said before if this job was done in the Uk there would have been miles of traffic lights and contra flow systems along with hundreds of speed cameras. Why is it there are so many negative people here ?

Some people see solutions the others just see problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..."Just how can re laying the road bring about more casualties ? "

it is well known, that new asphalt is more slippery a certain time than "older" one.

When made in other countries, there is always a speed limit for a while, but this would make no sense on samui.

Edited by goldfinger

..."Just how can re laying the road bring about more casualties ? "

it is well known, that new asphalt is more slippery a certain time than "older" one.

When made in other countries, there is always a speed limit for a while, but this would make no sense on samui.

You always get the "things only get worse" brigade. Whiners and whingers. It is NOT well known that "new asphalt is more slippery a certain time than "older" one". Rubbish. In colder countries there ia a speed limit so that the tarmac can set. No problem here as the temperature allows quick setting. Tarmac is LESS slippery than concrete as it absorbes some water and the rest runs of more efficiently. Plus, when warm, is slighty sticky which makes for greater cohesion between tyre and road surface.

:)

Was in Thai Inter over the weekend with a Friend who was in a Motor Bike accident through no fault of his own on Sunday morning, anyway the Nurse in there mentioned to him that since that Tramac has been laid, they are getting anywhere up to 40% more Motor Bike related accidents in the Hospital, scary really..

Was in Thai Inter over the weekend with a Friend who was in a Motor Bike accident through no fault of his own on Sunday morning, anyway the Nurse in there mentioned to him that since that Tramac has been laid, they are getting anywhere up to 40% more Motor Bike related accidents in the Hospital, scary really..

Well that will happen. Better road = more speed = more accidents =more casualties. Unfortunately, tarmac doesn't give you better drivers.

Compared to before tarmac or last high season. thinking.gif

In this season and after the asphalt has come, there are a lot more tourists renting motorbikes. Last season 2 people shared 1 bike, now there is 1 tourist at 1 bike. And of course with more traffic more accidents. The hospitals have high season too.