Uk Settlement Visa

Guys

I recently posted on another thread on this site about our success in obtaining a Uk Settlement Visa in just 1 day. I put together pretty exhaustive application so decided to put in an index to assist the ECO. Due to many requests for this Index i have got permission from the mods to post it here. Its pretty exhaustive but i wanted to ensure my application was water tight.

Hope this helps

Jack

index_thaivisa_18dec.doc

• Like 1

Thats a very good and comprehensive index Jack. If everybody uses this as a guide for their owns circumstances, then puts as much time and effort into the preparation that I know you did, they won't go far wrong.

The only bit of advice I might add would on presentation. Label and staple each section individually and include your own index so that the ECO can easily find what he's looking for. When everything is loose in one file (which is the way the VFS staff will send it if it's not stapled together) it's easy for him to miss something.

7by7 is there any chance we could get this pinned. It would help everybody applying for a settlement visa.

Edited by sumrit

• 2 weeks later...
Thats a very good and comprehensive index Jack. If everybody uses this as a guide for their owns circumstances, then puts as much time and effort into the preparation that I know you did, they won't go far wrong.

The only bit of advice I might add would on presentation. Label and staple each section individually and include your own index so that the ECO can easily find what he's looking for. When everything is loose in one file (which is the way the VFS staff will send it if it's not stapled together) it's easy for him to miss something.

7by7 is there any chance we could get this pinned. It would help everybody applying for a settlement visa.

hi sumrit, yes pretty comprehensive but i wanted to be sure. i really did not fancy re-aplying and giving them an additional 600 plus quid.

i did section each entry clearly with labels etc. when they gave the evidence back it was a complete mess and i was really pi$$ed off with them.

i copied everything and placed a copy in the back of each section which they kept

i trust your well mate i still owe you a beer

• 4 weeks later...

just want to say that i married in november in thailand. im 25 wife is 23. prepared the settlement application. went with my wife to submit at VFS and having heard about 3 month waits for decisions i returned to UK , and sods law the next week she got a text from VFS stating her passport was ready for collection. didnt think was a good sign as she had no interview- in person or on phone. but she got it! opened passport and there it was 2year settlement visa :) . wish id known how long would be as we could have flown back to UK together. she was had twice successfully got 6 month tourist visas in last 2 years so maybe that was factor. i stated i was going to live at mums house as well,. have own flat together now.

she has flown alone before so got her a flight and was in UK for christmas which was great- and she loved the snow!

but the main point of my post is that i thought i had included alot of documents but im amazed by the amount in your guide. and 1800 photos! i included about 8 pics.

i thought i played it safe and put in quite a few of your sections . ur guide was not on this site then , i used a guy called robs guide.

but better safe than having to reapply and pay 600 quid again.

your application must have been successful , hope it was

im not dissmissing your guide but if you include half the sections you could stil be in with a good chance

Every application is treated on it's own merits, and people's circumstances are different. Both this and Rob's guide should be seen as just that; guides. People should use them as a point of reference and choose the parts that are relevant to their circumstances.

just want to say that i married in november in thailand. im 25 wife is 23. prepared the settlement application. went with my wife to submit at VFS and having heard about 3 month waits for decisions i returned to UK , and sods law the next week she got a text from VFS stating her passport was ready for collection. didnt think was a good sign as she had no interview- in person or on phone. but she got it! opened passport and there it was 2year settlement visa :) .

Hi

Needed this thread as I am just about to apply for a settlement visa for my Wife.

I have a couple questions though, Did you get you marriage certificates and papers Translated into English and if so did you do that independantly or at the Embassy ?

Then did you submit both the Thai and English versions ?

Also how do I go about her TB test,does it have to be at a reccomended hospital, and how long does it take ?

Edited by gezzie

Hi

Needed this thread as I am just about to apply for a settlement visa for my Wife.

I have a couple questions though, Did you get you marriage certificates and papers Translated into English and if so did you do that independantly or at the Embassy ?

Then did you submit both the Thai and English versions ?

There's no need to get your Marriage certificate translated. Submit one original plus one photocopy.

Also how do I go about her TB test,does it have to be at a reccomended hospital, and how long does it take ?

All TB tests have to be carried out at the IOM centre. http://www.ukvac-th.com/tb.aspx

Requirement for Tuberculosis testing for applicants visiting the UK for longer than 6 months.

To obtain the necessary certificate, applicants will need to attend the clinic run by International Organisation for Migration (IOM) staff at:

Kasemkij Building

8th Floor, 120 Silom Road

Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Tel: +66 2 234 7950-5

Fax: + 66 2 234 7956

Email: [email protected]

Attendance is by appointment only and the full test fee of 2600 Baht must be paid in advance.

Spouse_check_list.pdf

TB_testing_Bangkok.pdf

IOM_Centre_map.pdf

Edited by sumrit

Tel: +66 2 234 7950-5

This number is incorrect.

It should read: +66 2 234 7950 1

Apologies if it's wrong, I just cut and pasted the information directly from the VFS centre's website. :)

I may be the one who is wrong. It does, as you say on the VFS site state that the number ends with a 5. I was reading it off of the PDF that you have posted a link to, and that I have seen elsewhere.

Maybe both numbers work.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question by a99daric moved to here.

Please restrict posts in this topic to comments/questions on documents and post other questions in a new topic.

Remember that many older members do not often read these pinned topics, so posting here means it may be some time before you receive a reply.

• 1 month later...

I was unable to open the document in the first post.. for some reason I cannot open doc. documents can someone send it to me or post it to me in word pad document please I would really appreciate it, I really want my visa ASAP also... really want to take a look at a 1 day visa result.... my email is

-Hope someone will help me Thanks!

Anjali

Edit:-

Email address removed to frustrate spambots. Please use PM facility.

Your question about a 1 day turnover has been answered in your other topic. To avoid confusion, please keep your questions there. Thanks.

Edited by 7by7

• 3 weeks later...

Very comprehensive, in fact too comprehensive, 5 years records really not necessary and 1800 photographs is just ridiculous, do you really think the ECO is gonna look at all those?

Useful guide though

Peter, as said before this guide covers 'just about everything' and people should use it and adapt it to their own personal situations, and only the individual can decide what is 'ridiculous' to include. Another point to bear in mind is that, to my knowledge, nobody has ever been refused a visa for supplying too much information, but this, and others forums, are littered with stories of people having visas refused for not supplying enough. If you supply something the ECO doesn't need he'll just ignore it not refuse the visa.

• 7 months later...

My wife was turned down for a Visit Visa a year ago before we were married. We only put in a few photo's so they questioned her Motives for going.

We have been living together in Thailand for over a year now and married since June. We are applying for a settlement Visa now and this guide is a great pointer to the things we need, many thanks for posting it.

We have indeed printed off every photo about 2000 but they are organised on A4 sheets 8 Pictures per sheet they detail our life together. Facebook walls and comments made by us,friends and family

We also have MSN conversations and copies of all our bills paid here by me supported by my Thai Bank statements to show I pay the rent on our house and the bills here.

As we lost out last year on a Visit I am determined she will get this settlement Visa so we are leaving nothing to chance. We are taking it all up in a small suitcase :-)

Wish us luck guys.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

quote name='sumrit' timestamp='1261388849' post='3217275']

Ok

Very comprehensive, in fact too comprehensive, 5 years records really not necessary and 1800 photographs is just ridiculous, do you really think the ECO is gonna look at all those?

Useful guide though

Peter, as said before this guide covers 'just about everything' and people should use it and adapt it to their own personal situations, and only the individual can decide what is 'ridiculous' to include. Another point to bear in mind is that, to my knowledge, nobody has ever been refused a visa for supplying too much information, but this, and others forums, are littered with stories of people having visas refused for not supplying enough. If you supply something the ECO doesn't need he'll just ignore it not refuse the visa.

Very well done

• 5 weeks later...

The internet is a wonderful forum where anyone can post anything at any time.

Sadly it may not all be true.

The Settlement Visa can not be obtained 'in a single day'. Fact. The application once accepted is emailed to the UK. That is, the online application plus the relevant supporting material. That excludes the comprehensive lists that appear here.

However, lets consider the possible time scale. It goes to the Uk, in a queue where it is then read assessed, approved or not, the result is emailed back to the Visa agency in Thailand where a Visa is then issued.

One day for that is simply not possible.

Also, the Visa agency states it has a 70% completion date within 30 days. It has nothing, repeat nothing with one day, it has under exceptional circumstances [ these are always life or death equivalents] managed one visa for one person within one week. One.

Be realsitic and consider the 70% figure. Miss that boat and you're waitng a further 30 days. total now running at 60 days.

Finally, they have decalred a maximum wait of 90 days. You can wait a long time but ninety days is not possible as it is only the working days [5] that count. Therefore, the 12 weeks maximum is 84 days in reality. As 3 equal sections that makes 28 days not 30; 56 days not 60.

I have up to date, independant information on Settlement Visa application; free of agencies, touts or persons with a business interest. I've done it and recently too. My info. is accurate.

The Application can be thorough but the lengths shown on here are actually too general and include nfo. not required and more importantly not deemed pertinent.

I shall attempt to post a new thread.

Indeed, and I've several comments on the contents of your post.

It is theoretically possible for a settlement application to be processed within one day; although the shortest period I personally am aware of is 5 days. If someone says that their application was processed in one day, I have no reason to doubt them.

Usually all decisions on whether to issue a visa or not are made in post at the embassy where the application was submitted. It is only in the most exceptional of circumstances that an application may be referred to the UK for a decision.

You use the term "Visa agency." I hope you mean one, some or all of the Entry Clearance Section at the British embassy, the UKBA or the UKVAC. As I hope you are aware, commercial visa agencies have no influence over, and play no part in, the decision; despite what some unscrupulous agents may claim. Neither does the UKVAC.

The guide to processing times shows processing time for decisions made in one particular month, currently April 2011. For settlement applications:- 0% issued within 2. 3 or 5 days, 4% within 10 days, 72% within 30 days and 100% within 60 days. That April 2011's figures do not show any issued in 5 days or less does not mean that in other months there were also none.

These figures are for decisions made within the quoted period. Processed within 60 days means what it says; within 60 days. That could be any period from one day to 60 days, although April 2011 that would be any period between 6 days and 60 days as none were processed in 5 days or less. It is not a matter of "missing the (30 day) boat" and having to wait a further 30 days for the 60 day one; the visa could be issued after 31 days, 32 days, 33 days etc.

As already pointed out, the information here is a guide; readers should adapt it to meet their own circumstances.

• 1 month later...

The Settlement Visa can not be obtained 'in a single day'. Fact. The application once accepted is emailed to the UK. That is, the online application plus the relevant supporting material. That excludes the comprehensive lists that appear here.

However, lets consider the possible time scale. It goes to the Uk, in a queue where it is then read assessed, approved or not, the result is emailed back to the Visa agency in Thailand where a Visa is then issued.

One day for that is simply not possible.

Also, the Visa agency states it has a 70% completion date within 30 days. It has nothing, repeat nothing with one day, it has under exceptional circumstances [ these are always life or death equivalents] managed one visa for one person within one week. One.

Be realsitic and consider the 70% figure. Miss that boat and you're waitng a further 30 days. total now running at 60 days.

Finally, they have decalred a maximum wait of 90 days. You can wait a long time but ninety days is not possible as it is only the working days [5] that count. Therefore, the 12 weeks maximum is 84 days in reality. As 3 equal sections that makes 28 days not 30; 56 days not 60.

I have up to date, independant information on Settlement Visa application; free of agencies, touts or persons with a business interest. I've done it and recently too. My info. is accurate.

The Application can be thorough but the lengths shown on here are actually too general and include nfo. not required and more importantly not deemed pertinent.

I shall attempt to post a new thread.

The settlement Visa Application we presented was approved in 1 day and thats a fact. Not sure why you think other wise, so whoever you have been talking to they have mislead you maybe you have got the wrong end of the stick.

I dont know what the turn around is now but why on earth would I lie about soemthing like this. in future get your facts right before you call other people a liar

• 2 weeks later...

This may be of interest people....

Bangkok UK Embasy - Settlement Visa decisions made in June 2011

Completed Settlement Visas

2 days = 2%

3 days = 2%

5 days = 3%

10 days = 3%

15 days = 4%

30 days = 5%

60 days = 93%

90 days = 100%

120 days = 100%

Total decisions made = 140

Edited by Frogster

• 2 weeks later...

UKSettlement Visa

My Thai wife and I have been together for 7 years, marriedfor 5 years. I was forced to give up working due to ill health in 2004(doctors orders).

For the last 6 years my wife and I have spent the winter 6 months in Thailand and summer in the UK. My wife is currently issued with a 5 year visitors visa, but we now want to apply for a Settlement visa (in case in future my hospital treatment may require us to stay in the UK longer than 6 months).

Checking the internet for info/advise, I found one page where they stated flatly that a sponsor my not be in receipt of Incapacity Benefit (I am). Can anybody confirm if this is true please? I don't understand why this would be the case as it is not a means-tested benefit (I could be a millionaire. I'm not! But I could be - and still eligible for I.B. ) On the last visa applicationform I completed, I.B was not on the list of state benefits.

One more! We are currently in the UK& will return to Thailandin October. I'd like my wife to get the English language test required for the Settlement Visa done while we're here. We live on the south coast between Bournemouth & Southampton. Does anybody happen to know of a place that cando the test in this area please?

And another! There used to be a requirement for Settlement applicants to have a test for TB and provide a certificate that they were clearwith the application. I don't now see that mentioned. Is this no longer needed?

Last one! I've downloaded the very helpful (jack31) SettlementVisa checklist, however it's now quite old advice. Is there an up to date version posted somewhere?

We would be very grateful for any help and advice!

Edited by samsingsong

"And another! There used to be a requirement for Settlement applicants to have a test for TB and provide a certificate that they were clearwith the application. I don't now see that mentioned. Is this no longer needed"

Yes it is still a requirement:-

• Tuberculosis test certificate
    Applicants who want to come to the United Kingdom for longer than 6 months will need to obtain a certificate confirming that they are free from infectious tuberculosis (TB) before submitting their visa application. Please visit the
Tuberculosis testingpage on this website for further guidance, and information on which visa categories are affected by this requirement.

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/tb.aspx

Toddmeister: "Yes it is still a requirement"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank youToddmeister.

I know that all this info is 'out there' to be found, but after a few minutes of wading through the UKBA / VFS websites my eyes glaze over and I get a dizzy & aching head!

Regarding my other question about a sponsor receiving Incapacity Benefit, well I think I've found the answer to that. Although I read on a visa company's website that the sponsor of a Settlement Visa applicant may not be in receipt of Incapacity Benefit, I think they are mistaken. According to the UKBA visa notes, the applicant & sponsor must not be reliant on 'Public Funds' (e.g. IncomeSupport / Housing Benefit, etc.). Incapacity Benefit is NOT on the Public Funds list as it is a "Benefit to which a person is entitled as a result of National Insurance contributions" (UKBA).

I'd get the same amount of Incapacity Benefit with or without the wife, so it makes no difference. Also I was on I.B at the time we applied for the 5 year Visitors Visa and it wasn't a problem then.

However if anybody knows better I'd greatlyappreciate any info.

Edited by samsingsong

Thanks from me as well. I have trawled through the VFS website and could not find the TB link you posted. That VFS website has to be one of the least user-friendly sites I've been to in ages. Nightmare. Thanks again.

Hi all i am new to this site so please all help would be great.

I have recently returned from Thailand where i got married and will soon be applying for a spouse visa for my Thai wife. She is still there at the moment and has to do her second englist test as she has done reading and listening and passed. So the speaking and writing is due on the 3rd sept.

I have put together my paperwork which consists of:-

12 months bank statements

12 months wage slips

letter of employment

p60

all photos and letters and hotel reciepts

mortgage paperwork

council tax letter

gas and electric letter

land registry paperwork

covering letter to the embassy

copy of driving license signed

copy of passport signed

previous emails

wifes old passport in her old name

copy of id card

marriage certificate

sales brocure of house outlining floor space and pictures and spec

this is what i can think of but if anyone can add any more that would be great

also i see everyone has a different way of laying the paperwork out so ideas would be good also.

She has been to the uk with me before on a holiday visa and we used a agent which cost a small fortune so i want to try and do this myself but i am worried as i have heard some horror stories. Plus im back in the uk and trying to make sure it all goes ok for her in thailand

Any help will be great

Many thanks Mike

Thanks from me as well. I have trawled through the VFS website and could not find the TB link you posted. That VFS website has to be one of the least user-friendly sites I've been to in ages. Nightmare. Thanks again.

No probs, but if you just go to the "how to apply" page on the VFS site its all there. Just scroll down and it's in section 5

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/applying.aspx

Regards