Buy Circular Saw Good Deal At The Moment?

sid1967

Around 2000 baht you should be able to buy a Makitita Or a marateck-division of makikita or a Hitachi. The Skil brand is a definite copy & the worm drive is probably Chinese crap parts. The Japanese units are from Japan. if it comes down to paying 400 baht more than the 2000 baht do not be afraid to sprank for the extra as a circular saw is a much more critical devise than a angle grinder & will last longer if you are running the correct amount of rpm's needed for what your planning to cut. Homepro homemart homeworks Kanyong global or a whole myriad of Mom & Pops shops should carry the above brands. Although how they handle the warranty will different from place to place. I would avoid the bargain brand circulars you will find for 1100 baht (or less) at Carreforre. Guaranteed to die & probably before you are done with your fist outing. Make sure to get the right blade as each blade will be job specific. Although a wood blade will work great on wood it will suck on steel or cement.

Both brands Probably the most rugged of all power tool makes.

I disagree, Back home in Aus maktec was always crap, but makita was ok.

out here, i would not touch maktec for the above reason, they are garbage, i have however bought lots of Makita stuff for work, none of it lasts, in the last 12 months we have killed 25 cordless drills, 10 corded drills, 4 Jigsaws etc etc etc.

We have now switched over to dewalt stuff, dont know if its any better but at least the sales rep says they will honor* the warranty unlike makita.

* the distributor inspected our work premises to see for what purpose and how the tools are used.

Edited by Spoonman

I disagree, Back home in Aus maktec was always crap, but makita was ok.

out here, i would not touch maktec for the above reason, they are garbage, i have however bought lots of Makita stuff for work, none of it lasts, in the last 12 months we have killed 25 cordless drills, 10 corded drills, 4 Jigsaws etc etc etc.

We have now switched over to dewalt stuff, dont know if its any better but at least the sales rep says they will honor* the warranty unlike makita.

* the distributor inspected our work premises to see for what purpose and how the tools are used.

Dewalt is actually a division of Black & Decker. All the tools built by Dewalt in Asia are built in either Bangkok or Chonburi.

I found that tidbit out 2 years ago when I complained the screw guns battery lasted 2 months on 1st 3 months on the second & the third battery melted. They told me that all B&D & Dewalt are built at the same plants. the only good of it is they paid me back for the 2 batteries & told me to purchase a U.S. model. I bought a Makita works great. The Maktek I would think is probably built at the same plants Makita & Maktek. Luck of the draw here in LOS. My neighbor had a crap drill from China . It still works fine . I fried 2 in 6 months & got real & bought a Hitachi- True I could have the same bad luck but at least the bearings are made to specs & less friction means less heat & wear on the parts. Matter of choice Baush also makes a great line of products as well. I would avoid Black & Decker & Dewalt like the plague here in Thailand.Especially if you are planning on a weed whacker purchase. Black & Decker uses pop rivets on the feeder instead of brass used in the U.S. & England. I am pretty easy on my tools & (accept for the shovel) I am using items very little. I know your thinking spoonman that why buy Makita or maktek if it is built in Thailand as well- but I am convinced they try harder to keep their customers happy.But hey if Dewalt is working for you keep with them.

Edited by Beardog

Beardog, if i had a choice i would avoid all power tools made for the Asian market, they all appear to be of substandard quality, I also have an 18v Hitachi cordless here at home, the charger died in under 6 months of very little use.

Now I am truly bummed. I wish they could come up with standard product qualities. I guess at 300 baht a day you can't expect much. Have a great holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel terribly sorry for folk to whom the pennies are all important and the terrible quality stuff which ends up costing them more. Once again the rule keep your mouth shut instilled by the ruling classes is the problem. No complaints=continued rip.

Over the years before I left England many tradesmen were passing over to using a cheap brand available from the otherwise unappealing B & Q. About 20 to 40 GBP for most power tools. Yet they did pretty damned well. Even with daily use they would go OK then if something died just replace it.

Cheap does not have to be utter rubbish.

Bought a cheapo 1200w jobbie from Global about 18 months ago and has lasted well, 800 baht. Built set of outdoor wooden stairs and it's still going strong after numerous heavy cuts through 2" mai daeng. If I were using it frequently I'd plum for a brand name. Gone through a couple of B&D drills. The chucks are crap and bearings wear away real quick and the hammer is just a waste of time. Important to let power tools out here cool down, not using them constantly for hours on end, even if the 'duty' is 100%. The ambient heat is that much higher and doesn't bode well with cheap parts.

I disagree, Back home in Aus maktec was always crap, but makita was OK.

We have now switched over to dewalt stuff, don't know if its any better but at least the sales rep says they will honor* the warranty unlike makita.

I have been building for over 40 years here in New Zealand and Aus and I would say 60% of the builders that I have come across in New Zealand and Australia use makita, And 30% use Hitachi and dewalt and balance buy crap.

My makita drop saw is over 10 years old and still going strong and at the same time I bought 2 12v makita cordless drills and they have not missed a beat.......

SO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS CRAP REGARDING MAKITA POWER TOOLS

I don't know what sort of work you do but what I do know that if the men I have working for me started destroying power tools like you do they would be out the door