Crackdown On Illegal Taxis At Phuket Airport

webfact

Crackdown on illegal taxis at Phuket Airport

gallery_327_1086_11083.jpg

Transport Ministry officers and Phuket Airport security staff interrogate a driver attempting to leave through the exit gate at Phuket Airport this morning.

MAI KHAO, PHUKET: Tourists disembarking at Phuket International Airport this morning encountered even more high-season chaos than usual, as police erected a new checkpoint there in an attempt to crack down on illegal 'black plate' taxis.

Phuket International Airport Director Prathueng Sornkham held a meeting at the airport yesterday to announce the crackdown, which he said was put in place at the request of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports following complaints from tourists.

The crackdown began at 9am sharp, when Wing Commander Prathueng was joined by Phuket Land Transport Office Director Kanok Siripanichakorn, Tha Chat Chai Police and Tourist Police in setting up a checkpoint at the exit gate of the airport to check for private cars carrying paying customers.

"Most of the complaints are from tourists, who say the black plate drivers annoy them, such as by taking them on shopping tours against their will and pestering them to buying things they don't want or need. Some of them fall victim to scams," he said.

The crackdown will continue, he said.

"We need to restore our good image among tourists…From the information we have, we think there are now about 200 illegal taxis operating here and we hope to solve this problem soon," he said.

Mr Pratueng said he called yesterday's meeting to let everyone at the airport know in advance what was coming, so that services there could continue as smoothly as possible despite the crackdown.

"We really have to help each other out, as currently there are 100,000 passengers transiting through the airport every month," he said.

The only ones left out of the loop, it seems, were tourists. Many were forced to wait about 30 minutes with no idea what was going on while authorities interrogated their drivers.

Black plate taxis have long operated clandestinely at the airport, which is run by Airport of Thailand (AoT) Public Company Limited.

All taxis legally picking up fares from the airport must pay AoT, which has a concession arrangement with the Phuket Mai Khao Company to run sedan limousines onto AoT property.

Taxi meters are also allowed onto AoT grounds, but must pay a flat fee per fare.

In both case, the costs are passed on to passengers. Both limousine drivers and meter taxis have long complained that taxi syndicates controlling other parts of the island make it impossible for them to pick up return passengers, further increasing their fuel costs and driving up fares.

One 'black taxi' driver told the Gazette he was only reacting to passenger demand by supplying transport to and from the airport at true market value.

Most of his customers were either friends or repeat customers that called him on his cell phone when they needed transport to or from the airport.

Many are expat residents who refuse to use the overpriced services of organized transport services on the island, he said.

He never tries to take his passengers anywhere they don't want to go, but admitted that other illegal drivers might employ such tactics.

If stopped by authorities, he would simply say the passengers were his friends and he was providing the service free of charge, he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009/12/22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

"Mr Pratueng said he called yesterday's meeting to let everyone at the airport know in advance what was coming, so that services there could continue as smoothly as possible despite the crackdown"

I'm sure the illegal drivers appreciated the advanced warning.

The fact that Phuket is a disgrace in terms of public transport is no secret.

I didn't notice it when I lived there as I had my own transport and the numbers of a few trusted local taxi guys in my phone. I went back there a few weeks ago as a tourist for a break from Bangkok with a mate who was over to visit and it was a real pain in the ass to get anywhere, especially if you fancy a few beers and don't like drink/driving. Not just the excessive fares, but the general sneering attitude of these guys leaves a bad taste at the start of a night out.

Unfortunately this latest crackdown will be about as effective as... oh never mind

"We need to restore our good image among tourists"

What good image are they talking about?

I don’t care how many times they do the crackdown on taxies. The problem is really the police and the commission they get from these taxies. Till the corruption with police stops nothing permanent will be in place and will always have these problem for tourists,

If you are with a Thai person, then they are more reluctant to pester the tourists. I also recommend for tourist to take the hotel vans in Pucket. There are fewer problems with them

............Airport Director Prathueng Sornkham held a meeting at the airport yesterday to announce the crackdown......

......................“We need to restore our good image among tourists

.............Taxi meters are also allowed onto AoT grounds, but must pay a flat fee per fare.

1. Good idea to anounce a crackdown before it happend,,,,

2. which GOOD image he is talking about?

3. Why its called TAXI METER then?

Absolutely no Idea why we have to open a NEW THREAD for every little sh1-1te.

There IS already an open Thread and a discussion runnig about TAXIs, Tuk Tuk and Transportation system in Phuket, HERE in the FORUM

so may be its a good idea to put as much informations whats going on and what the government will do about it, in there.

I am pretty sure the members wich are intrested in PHUKETS Transportation scam and its forthcomming will follow it

Edited by moskito

Note that this crackdown did not just affect the black taxis. Tourists who had prepaid for legitimate hotel transfers were also affected, (which suggests to me that the people who engineered this 'crackdown' are the limousine company?).

My hotel driver who was transferring some of our guests who had stayed at our hotel the night before was stopped and his driving licence confiscated by the police on the grounds of operating an illegal taxi.

The situation in Phuket between the legitimate taxis, tuk-tuks, illegal taxis and tour buses, and legitimate hotel private vehicles is getting completely out of control, and it is the tourists who are affected by this disruption, and it is the tourists who will return to their home countries and advise their friends to avoid Phuket.

Simon

Note that this crackdown did not just affect the black taxis. Tourists who had prepaid for legitimate hotel transfers were also affected, (which suggests to me that the people who engineered this 'crackdown' are the limousine company?).

My hotel driver who was transferring some of our guests who had stayed at our hotel the night before was stopped and his driving licence confiscated by the police on the grounds of operating an illegal taxi.

The situation in Phuket between the legitimate taxis, tuk-tuks, illegal taxis and tour buses, and legitimate hotel private vehicles is getting completely out of control, and it is the tourists who are affected by this disruption, and it is the tourists who will return to their home countries and advise their friends to avoid Phuket.

Simon

Did your driver drive a car with personnel transport license plates:

license-plate-personnel-car.jpg

Edited by PoorSucker

Yes he was - but this is a private transfer from our hotel. It is absolutely not a taxi service. I've checked into the rules and regulations about this before and hotels are perfectly entitled to transfer their guests in private vehicles if no separate payment for this service is made at the time of transfer.

However, what is stated in the law obviously doesn't apply in Phuket where corruption seems to rule the roost :)

Simon

Then he should have been let through.

If he have had black letters it would have been illegal.

Hope it turns out OK and you don't have to pay 350 baht to tuk-tuk for taking your guest to the airport.

Edited by PoorSucker

My 'ex' at the hotel is doing what seems to be the normal solution for her - pay the police some tea money to 'protect' our driver from being stopped.

Not what I would advise, but probably the most realistic solution... :)

Simon

Those plates are from a car meant for staff transportation: white with blue letters.

For tourists transportation: green with white letters or yellow with black letters.

Why don't some of the hotels on Phuket club together to start paying a high ranking group of BIB to look after your interests as against those working for the BBM? The police department may eventually erupt in open civil war, but at least even that would be progress in trying to break the mafia mould.

And I am only half joking.

....another nail in the coffin........... :)

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Phuket tuk-tuk driver attacks French family

PHUKET: Phuket police are hunting for a violent tuk-tuk driver who attacked a French family with the shaft of a beach umbrella on Saturday.

One of the victim's arms was broken in the attack and another suffered severe injuries.

Gazette reporters are following the police investigation.

Updates shortly.

Those plates are from a car meant for staff transportation: white with blue letters.

For tourists transportation: green with white letters or yellow with black letters.

Actually, blue on white plates are for vans which carry more than 7 people, but some vans can have the large vehicle plates that are black on yellow, & green on white plates are for 2 door utes/pick-ups, hotel cars usually have white or black on pale green plates. (yes I am a plate collector)

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what the above post has to do with the subject of this thread & should be removed.

A few years ago one of my neighbours had his own tuk tuk & plyed his trade in Phuket Town. For a reasonable fee I used to have him take me to the airport in his private car & when I returned to Phuket would arrange for him to pick me up. I suppose under the crackdown this would not be allowed anymore which to me is plain annoying & restricting our freedom of choice. Soon we will not be able to take family & friends to the airport.

just got a note from my daughter who is 1/2 a world away. She's in Hawaii and is telling me of the magnificent things to do, and the lovely people she's meeting.

Why am I mentioning this? Just as a reminder to me (and anyone else), that there are great travel destinations worldwide - and the more I hear about where Thailand is headed (down the tubes) the more I'm reminded that Thailand is digressing as a travel destination.

Q. How to get people to go from harmful little selfish thoughts to magninamous uplifting thoughts?

A. Not quite sure, but Phuket's airport and Patong, with their rapacious rip-off minded people (tuk tuk drivers and others), sure doesn't fit in the equation.

............Airport Director Prathueng Sornkham held a meeting at the airport yesterday to announce the crackdown......

......................“We need to restore our good image among tourists

.............Taxi meters are also allowed onto AoT grounds, but must pay a flat fee per fare.

1. Good idea to anounce a crackdown before it happend,,,,

2. which GOOD image he is talking about?

3. Why its called TAXI METER then?

Read that section again carefully. The flat fee is what the taxi pays the AoT! The taxi is still metered.

• 1 month later...

Definition of illegal taxis: A vehicle providing transport for a fee that does not participate in the local "mafia" or organized crime syndicate that controls local transportation. Need I say more?

Most foreigners are not aware of the situation here. This is nothing but a "crackdown" on free trade.

I advise any foreigners visiting Thailand to not use local transportation. Rent a car, motorcycle or walk! Please do not support these morons!