Good News - Bank Account!

Just to give a clear answer to all the questions about opening a bank account in Thailand.

I have been today (after I read all the posts in this forum) been to Bangkok Bank, Head Office in Silom asking for a bank account.

Beside the staff speaking English there it was a quick and straightforward process.

I was able to get a saving account with VISA creditcard function and ATM (daily withdrawal limit 150.000 but after telephone inquiry, which is automatic up to 500.000 baht) within 20 minutes on my TOURIST VISA.

With a 1 year visa I will be able to get Internet Banking.

Hope this post was helpful

Curious about the VISA creditcard. Is it a Visa Electron? If it is, it won't work for online purchases and won't work at many places where VISA is accepted. If they have something new, please let me know. Thanks

Just to give a clear answer to all the questions about opening a bank account in Thailand.

I have been today (after I read all the posts in this forum) been to Bangkok Bank, Head Office in Silom asking for a bank account.

Beside the staff speaking English there it was a quick and straightforward process.

I was able to get a saving account with VISA creditcard function and ATM (daily withdrawal limit 150.000 but after telephone inquiry, which is automatic up to 500.000 baht) within 20 minutes on my TOURIST VISA.

Right, I have the same and unfortunately it too does not work online. Apparently there was a debit card offered by Siam Commercial bank some time ago that did have the same funtionality as a credit card but it has been discontinued.

My  guess  is  that  it  is  an  "international"  ATM  card  rather  than  a  credit  card........enabling you  to  withdraw  from  the  Thai  Account  when  you  are  overseas. Ive  got  the  Mastercard  (Cirrus)  version  issued  by  Siam  Commercial  Bank .

I got an internet a/c from bangers bank in wifes name and believe its only "issued"to Thai nationals.

On the other hand never say never...good luck..

Only foreign nationals with a resident Baht account holding a non-immigrant visa along with a valid work permit or certificate of residence are eligible to apply for Bualuang iBanking.

Source is Bangkok Bank web site.

I have the same from Kasikorn Bank. Only had to show my passport...

Nevertheless...the girl at the first cashier assured me I needed a work permit to open an account. The guy at the second one was more than happy to open it for me just with my passport

Bull

My  guess  is  that  it  is  an  "international"  ATM  card  rather  than  a  credit  card........enabling you  to  withdraw  from  the  Thai  Account  when  you  are  overseas. Ive  got  the  Mastercard  (Cirrus)  version  issued  by  Siam  Commercial  Bank .

When I wire money from my Thai bank account to the UK the Thai bank takes copies of my work permit etc., presumably to counter tax evasion and money laundering. Using an "international" ATM card do you have to make any special declaration about the source of the money or payment of tax?

I forgot to ask: what are the ATM / bank charges for using your card overseas? Also, what are the daily limits for withdrawals, and do you have any protection in the event of loss or misuse of the card?

I forgot to ask: what are the ATM / bank charges for using your card overseas? Also, what are the daily limits for withdrawals, and do you have any protection in the event of loss or misuse of the card?

Charges are 100 baht per withdrawal.

With Siam Commercial you can withdraw up to 7 times per day, not sure about the limit but ive withdrawn 500 pound sterling before in one transaction.

Misuse.......not an issue for me, my mother has my card back home.

Loss........strangely enough although not a loss as such, my mother managed to enter the wrong pin 3 times last month.......had to get another card here (300 baht).

Lastly.....no declaration required at this end......shows up in bank book here as code C2 which translates to "cash deposit, withdrawal, no book"

I just opened a Bangkok bank account with a Visa card attached. No work permit or visa, yadda yadda. I took a thai friend with me for support and there were no problems at all. Very nice people behind the counter. I pick up my Visa card early next week.

Could this be a viable alternative to Swift when sending money to the UK (or elsewhere)? I'd need an account with two cards (if possible) and send one to the folks back home. They could withdraw the money for me and re-deposit as requested. See any problems?

[Edit:]

By viable, I mean cheaper!

Charges are 100 baht per withdrawal.

With Siam Commercial you can withdraw up to 7 times per day, not sure about the limit but ive withdrawn 500 pound sterling before in one transaction.

Misuse.......not an issue for me, my mother has my card back home.

Loss........strangely enough although not a loss as such, my mother managed to enter the wrong pin 3 times last month.......had to get another card here (300 baht).

Lastly.....no declaration required at this end......shows up in bank book here as code C2 which translates to "cash deposit, withdrawal, no book"

Edited by brianbrain

BBL require a work permit for foreigners applying for Bualuang ibanking.

:o

If you read the info on internet access on the Bangkok Bank website it says that internet access (password) will only be given to those with residence in Thailand. I guess that could be work permit or residence visa. It doesn't apply to those outside Thailand.

I have a joint Bangkok bank acct with my Thai GF. She can get a password for internet access, but I (living outside Thailand) can't. I can access the website from here in Greece, but can't get into the account to check my balance.

Never made sense to me why I couldn't get password, but I figure it is just another example of T.I.T.S (This Is Thailand, Stupid).

:D