Beggars

Rigby

Are many or any of them legit? I see a lot of them around the night market at night and I feel really bad just walking past them. At the same time though, I find it a bit suspicious that they're only there at night but I suppose they probably don't want to be in the city during the day when it's hot.

I've been told that many of them are part of 'mafia' type operations where they don't get to keep any of the money that they get. If this is the case are they still not well off? I was thinking that they might appreciate being given some food but they might also think of it as an insult so I'm not sure. If food is ok can anyone help me with some thai phrases to order some take away stuff from street vendors? My knowledge of thai food in thai pretty much boils down to 'Pad Thai' and I don't have any idea how to ask for take away.

Also do the ones with gaping open amputations, amputate themselves in order to get more sympathy? If this is the case then I really don't want to encourage that.

Thanks

Yesterday I offered a male beggar on crutches a nearly full plate of fish and chips from Piggys and he refused. Maybe he just doesn't like Piggys, but he can't have been too hungry. As a rule I don't give any money to beggars, but i do sometimes give the kids a packet of crisps or some coke (cola) or something like that.

Almost all the beggars are people who are doing it as a steady job and have been doing it for years and never make any attempt to get any other kind of "work". If you don't mind supporting such people, then give money by all means.

I give something cheap and healthy to eat to the children who have been forced into it in Bangkok and it makes them quite happy, but I try not to give them money as they won't get to spend it anyway.

While I have no doubts that there are some severely disadvantaged people out there its worthwhile remembering that most have a very supportive extended family

Two recent episodes may illustrate some concerns..

Firstly there is usually a group of four girls/ladies with babies either side of the road either side of the bridge on Loi Kroh near Le Meridian. They are there every night without fail, pushing everyone onto the road. Well every night except one. It seems beggars also take the King's birthday off as well.......perhaps a quick trip back to the mountains to visit that extended family.

Incidentally the babies stay the same but sometimes the mothers change....maybe there is a roster or shift. I dunno.

Second is the enterprising man with a crutch you see hobbling round CEC every now and again. Had a bit of sympathy for him until Tuesday night when sitting in a bar near LaCoste on Chang Khlan and saw him peddle past at a good rate, crutch strapped to the bike. An early Christmas miracle, my faith restored.

Yesterday I offered a male beggar on crutches a nearly full plate of fish and chips from Piggys and he refused. Maybe he just doesn't like Piggys, but he can't have been too hungry. As a rule I don't give any money to beggars, but i do sometimes give the kids a packet of crisps or some coke (cola) or something like that.

Offering food is a good test of their real need(s). It is almost always turned down by the adults and almost always accepted by the children.

I have always tried to give a little cash to people who are obviously disabled or very elderly, and this policy seems to be approved of by the average Thai.

My least favourites are the plump Burmese women around Thapae and the Night Bazaar with rent-a-babies on their backs. A friend who understands their language says they scoff very rudely at all who give them money, while pretending to thank them.

Oh yes, and the slim, smiling middle aged Thai man with good English in the beany hat. Always befriending young tourists, offfering useless advice and then asking for money. Last week I told him in Thai to "go work" and he rapidly backed off. A total parasite.

It is more difficult to give accurately than to receive sincerelky.

Oh yes, and the slim, smiling middle aged Thai man with good English in the beany hat. Always befriending young tourists, offfering useless advice and then asking for money. Last week I told him in Thai to "go work" and he rapidly backed off. A total parasite.

I told him the same thing and he actually had the audacity to try to argue with me about it. He has asked me for money every time I have run into him for 20 years and he is in perfect health and speaks better English than most of the Thai Ajarns who teach English at Chiang Mai University!

i always find carrying a bit salt comes in handy, especially for those that drag themselves accross the floor..

lets face it.........how desperate are they to get where they are going? i for one know that if i had only one leg with weeping sores on my good stump, clawing my way down loi kroh road would be the last thing on my list of things to do.

I told him the same thing and he actually had the audacity to try to argue with me about it. He has asked me for money every time I have run into him for 20 years and he is in perfect health and speaks better English than most of the Thai Ajarns who teach English at Chiang Mai University!

I had the misfortune of sharing a songtaew to Sanpatong with him a few years back, he was extremely drunk and a real pain, I normally tell him something a bit stronger than UG's comment when he approaches me.

I think there are a few deserving cases out there and giving the kids food is probably a positive.

The "cons" are well covered above. But there are some miserably poor people in Thailand, which, like every (economically) less-developed country has an outrageous differential from rich to poor people and their shares of the national income. You can help. There is a lot of legitimate need, and a lot of ways to help beyond dropping a few bhat into a can or buying a kid some rice. Nothing wrong with that; just rather limited and immediately circumstantial. I really don't think a lot of those folks winter in Hua Hin.

i always find carrying a bit salt comes in handy, especially for those that drag themselves accross the floor..

lets face it.........how desperate are they to get where they are going? i for one know that if i had only one leg with weeping sores on my good stump, clawing my way down loi kroh road would be the last thing on my list of things to do.

Salt is good for slugs as well as disabled people. I'm sure you're aware of that, already.

'Lets face it'? Good idea. Let's face reality, shall we. 

'How desperate are they?'  Extremely desperate, I would have thought. Why else would you claw your way along the road? 

And, just out of curiosity, if you, for one, only had one leg, and weeping sores on your good stump how would you survive in Thailand? What would you do? I'd be very interested to know what your survival plan would be.

Edited by KevinHunt

Offering food is a good test of their real need(s). 

The Beatles sang a nice song along those lines "All you need is love". Nice song, but not very practical. 

The beggars song is "All you need is food". You don't need  shoes, clothes, a place to stay , soap, shampoo, water, bedding, towels ........ and heaven forbid if he should aspire to having a TV!!  That's the litmus test - if he doesn't need food he's a con man who's living the high life when we're not looking. 

Real needs are ...... food. Everything else is luxury.

Beware, brother, beware.

The Thai government ask people not to give because the Thai mafia is usually involved , it was not so long ago that people deliberately disfigured there children to make shore they could have a life of begging,There are many Thai TV adverts to stop beggars.Some even stoop so low as to rent out there baby's to make the begging look authentic.

That beggar was Charlie, obviously business is not too good :)

Edited by alfieconn

well who knows and yes it can cause you to have a few thoughts on whether to give or not.Solved the problem (well a little) I have been giving to a charity of MY choice every month for the last 15 years. So I know where its going and I know I give. Its not a lot I give but its regular as its a standing order. Dave

Most are organised beggars and you will see them in various locations in the same evening.

I don't give them anything and I especially do not encourage the young children who appear to be wandering the streets selling alone selling expensive chewing gum or luminous bracelets.

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

:):D:D

I've seen him often. He always asks for money to catch a bus ride home. :D I remembered him from last year. Very pleasant, well spoken guy, but a

parasite begger just the same. I've also told him to get a job. With his good command of English he could find work in many places, but chooses to scam the tourists instead.

some of the kids that visit the bars at night are kind of cute, cheeky little devils, and it's hard not to like them, but I seldom give them anything. I hate seeing a school age kid out hustling the bars and midnight.

And, the drugged "rent a baby" just plain offends me.

Yeah, you're right he should take a couple of hundred grand out of his deposit account and get himself down to Bamrungrad Hospital!

Perhaps you could take a bit out of your savings at the same time and get yourself to Suan Prung ASAP!

Ulyses, I wonder how many Thai ajarns from CMU English faculty that you have met. My guess would be about 0.

Or were you just being funny? I forwarded your message to the Dean, we will see how funny he thinks it is. I wouldn't count on any long term business deals from them.

You are the typical expat loser that makes an opportunity for himself but has no respect for the locals. I doubt that you could even pass a child's test in spoken or written Thai.

As for giving to beggars, many do appreciate a nice hot meal. There are the scam artists for certain.

Whoever said that they tried to give an almost full plate of fish and chips, what person in their right mind would eat someone else's left overs? These are people too, not animals. I am pretty certain if you bought the person a full meal, he/she would appreciate it, but might feel a little guilty too.

Ulyses, I wonder how many Thai ajarns from CMU English faculty that you have met. My guess would be about 0.

Why don't you learn to read? I wasn't insulting the Thai ajarns at CMU and I know many of them - I was complimenting the beggar's English as several other posters did and what I said was completely true.

You really are not too swift are you? :)

you know many of them. Well I know all of the full time, and they don't seem to know you. There are over 10 that have PhD's from western universities. Do you really think that a street bum can discuss philosophy or literary criticism? What you said was offensive. I have showed it to a few and told them who you are. They are not impressed. Don't expect much business from them.

I doubt that you even have a college degree and you sit and demean others that you don't even know. You are the idiot. Comparing a street bum to educated people is offensive. But for you I guess a street bum would be a step up in class.

Really, read what you wrote. Do you think that comparing the ability of English of a beggar to educated people is a good thing? It might complement him but it demeans others. Not to mention that it isn't accurate.

But if you prefer talking to bums than go ahead.

The Thai government ask people not to give because the Thai mafia is usually involved , it was not so long ago that people deliberately disfigured there children to make shore they could have a life of begging,There are many Thai TV adverts to stop beggars.Some even stoop so low as to rent out there baby's to make the begging look authentic.

I remember once, I was hitchhiking across Alberta. Unbeknownst to me a convict had broken out of prison and the Canadian govt. had warned everyone not to pick up any hitchhikers. It really isn't nice to be considered as no better than a convict if you're not one. Judgement, that's the key I think.

I often wonder of the old lady beggar i once saw on an overpass

Poor dear only had one arm but i was quite suprised to see her with one of those blackberry phones,holding it with her good hand and working it with the pin thingy in her mouth :)

I often wonder if shes upgraded yet...

Meanwhile i still got my 8 year old nokky :D

Thanks for the replies everyone. Oddly enough I've come across just about all the beggars mentioned in the thread! I gave one of the kids some food today and they seemed to appreciate it so that's all good. Might give some money tomorrow if I'm feeling especially festive. :)

Do you think that comparing the ability of English of a beggar to educated people is a good thing? It might complement him but it demeans others. Not to mention that it isn't accurate.

How do you know if it is accurate? He grew up talking English to the American and Aussie soldiers who were stationed here during the Vietnam War and his English language skills are not too far off from those of a native speaker. He probably speaks English better than you do.

He certainly is more intelligent. :)

The "cons" are well covered above. But there are some miserably poor people in Thailand, which, like every (economically) less-developed country has an outrageous differential from rich to poor people and their shares of the national income. You can help. There is a lot of legitimate need, and a lot of ways to help beyond dropping a few bhat into a can or buying a kid some rice. Nothing wrong with that; just rather limited and immediately circumstantial. I really don't think a lot of those folks winter in Hua Hin.

Please let us all know some of those "a lot of ways to help" those with legitimate need.