Hi

i have been in IT for like 10 years and have a Degree in computing

i am thinking about taking TEFL course to teach English in Thailand

i am a UK citizen

do i need to have any experience in teaching to do this

do i need anything else to be able to do this

is there website that look for jobs on your behalf

cheers

A good place to start is with the banners at the top, who are sponsors. This may give you an idea of what you need to know. Then there are a number of pinned topics at the top of the forum that may help.

I am sure a few posters will be along to give you further advice.

Hi Afster,

We sponsor the teaching forum. If you follow this link, you'll find lots of support for finding teaching work in Thailand.

http://seetefl.com/tefl-job-guarantee/

Most people who complete a TEFL training course have no previous practical teaching experience. Our course develops individual teaching skills, then these inputs are combined during your 6 observed teaching practices at real schools teaching real students. Also included in our program are grammar inputs, cultural awareness training and Thai instruction.

Merry Xmas

John

Course Director

http://seetefl.com

Hi Afster

welcome to the site.

I was in Telecoms for over 15 years, no teaching experience but taught in house courses in two languages. I applied for a job on www.ajarn.com, whilst in Germany and although as stated I had no experience was accepted for the position. A TEFL is not always required, yes some places do like it. Look on the above mentioned website, it is a bit slow at the moment as it's the middle of the term, but jobs come up i.e. in Phuket many positions have recently been advertised. Look at the requirements, and then weigh up if it is a good idea to do a TEFL or not.

Good luck

If you are still in the UK, bring the original copy of your degree. You will need it to get a Work Permit. Photocopies are not acceptable.

Actually, you should bring your transcripts along as well. Depending on who your employer is, you will only need photocopies to begin with, but will need original documents when going for the work permit.

You will also need a police clearance. If you don't have your original degree/transcripts or can't obtain them, you can still work, but it means getting verification from the University--which most employers must do anyway.

I can vouch for John. he brought trainees to where I worked. The vast majority were able to command attention and successfully do their job, despite us having some unruly classrooms.

I avoided having others find me a job, I simply submitted my CV prior to the semester ending (march) to various schools in the area I wanted to teach.

The best advice i can give is observe your coworkers. Ask them if you can watch them during your off hours, this is the best way to learn teaching methods that work and those that do not.

Above all of that, take a deep breath before you plunge in!

A good place to start is with the banners at the top, who are sponsors. This may give you an idea of what you need to know. Then there are a number of pinned topics at the top of the forum that may help.

I am sure a few posters will be along to give you further advice.

There are many jobs available beginning in May ‘010. You don’t really need a TEFL, because you’re holding a degree. ]Note: this is not an advertisement for the named company. Only one possibility. Good luck and a Happy New Year.