Word Meaning

Lancashirelad

Mienkapoon

Didn't want to put it in the title just incase its rude. I think not.

I've no idea where this has come from or in what context i've heard it. I've found it stored in my phone upon having a clean out. I must have stored it there to remember it and find out what it meant, then forgot all about it.

Anybody any idea?

possibly แมงกะพรุน (maeng ga proon) = jellyfish?

I am continually amazed by the resident language experts on this forum's ability to recognize phonemic transcription of thai so quickly and accurately.

I mean I know a LOT of frickin thai words, but sometimes the engrish is so mangled, based on what a person hears, what their native language accent is, how they think it would be spelled in engrish, that I can't makes heads or tails of what they are trying to say.

I just wanted to doff my cap and/or tug my forelock in acknowledgement to the experts on this forum who can look at the engrish spelling of a thai word and know what it is.

Truly a remarkable skill.. :)

I just wanted to doff my cap and/or tug my forelock in acknowledgement to the experts on this forum who can look at the engrish spelling of a thai word and know what it is.

Truly a remarkable skill.. :D

i agree. and Anon, please do another sitcom translation! :)

Edited by anothertorres

Well, happy to help in this case. Sometimes, though, I'm equally baffled by the transliterations that pop up. As for the sitcom, I was just thinking that I ought to add something new to youtube. Any particular suggestions?

Well, happy to help in this case. Sometimes, though, I'm equally baffled by the transliterations that pop up. As for the sitcom, I was just thinking that I ought to add something new to youtube. Any particular suggestions?

I would really appreciate a link to your sitcom translation on youtube (please).

I would really appreciate a link to your sitcom translation on youtube (please).

Here's one. There are 4 in this series if you want to keep watching.

There’s a gurl (at least I believe it’s a gurl) on YouTube who translates sitcoms, songs, etc under the name of “AnothaiDara”. She used to do ‘requests”, but seems bogged down now.

For the most part her translations are pretty good, but I find sometimes especially in songs (as I’m not much of a soap fan) she sticks too much to the literal meaning instead of the ‘meant’ or ‘understood’ meaning. This is tough because songs are written like poetry, often time’s subjects are understood from context, they use common colloquial slang or “frozen phrases” which carry one literal meaning and another to any thai reading it. Never the less, some of the songs are close to the mark.

But hey anon; if you do requests, could you do some Sek Loso songs off his latest album. Songs like อย่ายอมแพ้ (โดยที่ยังไม่ต่อสู้), รักกันต้องอดทน, or โลภะ โทสะ โมหะ. There's also quite an old song of his I wanted to know; as the video shows a completely different meaning than I got from just straight translation of the song. It's เหงาคิดถึงรอ :D

The karaoke videos of all these songs are posted on YouTube by "losofc" (the Loso Fan Club). The new one's carry a commentary by Sek about the making of the song before it plays. While I can understand most of the song meanings, my thai listening skills are far from proficient enough to catch all he says in the commentary.

Thanx in advance if you do any of them!! :)

I reckon that my language Thai skills began their decline when I began to understand the Thai soaps that my wife watches on the telly. For some reason my motivation to continue to improve ceased for some deep seated psychological reasons that I have not yet fathomed. The only retribution I have found for having to endure Thai TV shows is to watch Star Trek (or as my wife calls it "the mushroom" in the sky) reruns on TV in me wife's presence.

And a Happy New Year to you all!

possibly แมงกะพรุน (maeng ga proon) = jellyfish?

I am continually amazed by the resident language experts on this forum's ability to recognize phonemic transcription of thai so quickly and accurately.

I mean I know a LOT of frickin thai words, but sometimes the engrish is so mangled, based on what a person hears, what their native language accent is, how they think it would be spelled in engrish, that I can't makes heads or tails of what they are trying to say.

Truly a remarkable skill.. :)

Absolutely.

A classic case in point would be, for those familiar with Pattaya, how many different spellings are there of (don't laugh at my attempt) Soi Buakhaow?

But hey anon; if you do requests, could you do some Sek Loso songs off his latest album. Songs like อย่ายอมแพ้ (โดยที่ยังไม่ต่อสู้), รักกันต้องอดทน, or โลภะ โทสะ โมหะ. There's also quite an old song of his I wanted to know; as the video shows a completely different meaning than I got from just straight translation of the song. It's เหงาคิดถึงรอ :D

The karaoke videos of all these songs are posted on YouTube by "losofc" (the Loso Fan Club). The new one's carry a commentary by Sek about the making of the song before it plays. While I can understand most of the song meanings, my thai listening skills are far from proficient enough to catch all he says in the commentary.

Hey Tod,

I'll look at those and perhaps do one for you. I just have to get my subtitling system up and running again -- which is causing me a few headaches at the moment. Will let you know.

It would be really helpful (but more work for you) if you could put in Thai subtitles as well.

They talk much too fast for me but if I can read what they're saying I'll be able to follow.

Go on, just for me.

Pretty please.

Hi again Tod,

I have my subtitling system worked out now (see thread on that topic), so do you want to suggest one of these new videos (the ones with commentary) that you'd like to see subtitled? I can have a go at the song lyrics as well, but won't promise a poetic, singable English version -- that could take ages to work out.