Tipping / Gifting Apartment Staff, Maids, Security, Etc?

digibum

Back in the US it used to be normal to give a little Christmas tip/gift to people like the mailman or your the doorman in your building (especially in places like NYC). Some of that has disappeared but many people still do it in the US and Europe. I was wondering if there was a similar tradition in Thailand. Do you give a tip/gift to people like your apartment staff?

Im staying in a serviced apartment and the maid is lovely i give about 100bht once a week, but last week the hallway light were off and i chucked her a 1000 by accident, must have made her day.

Just give whatever you feel like, doubt most of these workers care one iota about Xmas, its only the pretty young girls in the shopping malls who wish to cash in on it that seem interested ....

Edited by whichschool

OK, this is not the U.S, this is Thailand. Your anser is none. Absolutely none. That is not the culture here. I am an American and I had a lot to learn once outside the U.S. The fact is that the tipping attitude of the U.S. is not continuous around the world and you need to get over it. Difficult, I know. But bringing the U.S greed and expectations here (or anywhere) is just bad. Simply bad. OK, enough of my ranting. If you want to be a tourist and throw your money around, that is up to you, but stop and think.

OK, this is not the U.S, this is Thailand. Your anser is none. Absolutely none. That is not the culture here. I am an American and I had a lot to learn once outside the U.S. The fact is that the tipping attitude of the U.S. is not continuous around the world and you need to get over it. Difficult, I know. But bringing the U.S greed and expectations here (or anywhere) is just bad. Simply bad. OK, enough of my ranting. If you want to be a tourist and throw your money around, that is up to you, but stop and think.

Dude, calm down. Don't worry, I won't ruin the country for you. You're still safe not to tip. I'm guessing British. Worst tippers in all of Europe.

All I was asking is IF there is an expectation. A simple yes or no suffices.

Great Christmas attitude though. Merry Christmas.

Just remember that 300/400baht is an average days pay , I look after those who look after me, I do not tip constantly but i do now and again just to show my appreciation,

Yes, I know. If I did anything I was thinking maybe a gift basket that was for all the apartment staff (security, building manager, receptionist, etc).

Dude, calm down. Don't worry, I won't ruin the country for you. You're still safe not to tip. I'm guessing British. Worst tippers in all of Europe.

Great Christmas attitude though. Merry Christmmas

British??? I think him saying "I am an american" sort of gives it away dude..

Edited by crudski

I don't know about what makes the women happy, if you give your security gang a bottle of the 200+ baht bottle of whiskey they will be seriously impressed. Throw in a big bottle of coke or two and you will be their favorite tenant all year long! Just don't count on having great security that night...

Glad someone has the Christmas spirit! Merry Christmas!!!

Edited by mauiguy90

Your response could be a bit more civil

Your response could be a bit more civil

You obviously disagree with the poster's view - to which he is entitled.

His post shows no sign of not being civil.

If you are that concerned about real flaming on this forum use the report button. You will find you will be pressing it constantly. You have picked a bad example in this post as there are no flames or incivility.

My bad. Missed that part. :-)

Managed to show off your true colours though by flaming english people & putting both your left and right feet in your mouth at the same time.

I dont think kyb was trying to upset anyone he/she was just being factual and to the point, this aint the USA, most of the thais (96%) are buddhist and this whole christmas charade is just another bad idea from the west. Throw your money around as much as you like but if you want to come onto a public forum and ask such a question expect some firm answers.

Managed to show off your true colours though by flaming english people & putting both your left and right feet in your mouth at the same time.

I dont think kyb was trying to upset anyone he/she was just being factual and to the point, this aint the USA, most of the thais (96%) are buddhist and this whole christmas charade is just another bad idea from the west. Throw your money around as much as you like but if you want to come onto a public forum and ask such a question expect some firm answers.

Well said.

this i know is Christmas day, our daughter went to school today,are people really forgetting where they really are or ar they just tourists with more money than sense.

i rest my case :)

If you go to a variety of countries in Europe youd be aware that many dont tip whatsoever, in England at restaurants its about 10%, i hear there are problems in restaurants in NY when Brits only give this amount, but in England we take the novel approach of paying waiters and waitresses an hourly rate, funny you look down your nose at people for not being the same as you Septics.

Expecting tips is coming in far more here now, even launderettes/ ice cream shops in the tourist area have a tipping box lying about somewhere, i was even asked for a tip by my taxi driver coming up for Pattaya to BKK the other day, he'ld have got one if he listened to me and didnt drive like a maniac.

............. Expecting tips is coming in far more here now, even launderettes/ ice cream shops in the tourist area have a tipping box lying about somewhere, i was even asked for a tip by my taxi driver coming up for Pattaya to BKK the other day, he'ld have got one if he listened to me and didnt drive like a maniac.

I find this spreading anywhere there are westerners as well. Taxis, even motorbike taxi guys ask for it and yet they have no idea why a tip is generated. Doing your job is not enough. I find it sad and a little irritating that places where you would never tip in the west have the begging bowl out, such as the mini mart.

I used to give the security guys something on New Year as I did my regular motorbike guys (who I have run errants and go out of the way for things on occasion) and I guess had I had a maid working for some time before New Year then I might have added something to her pay packet for the end of December or as one said, perhaps Songkran.

I think it is not correct to think of it as "tipping" - think of it as a New Year gift or present to your extended household - the people you look after (indirectly, by funding their wages) and that look after you (cleaning your house, security etc.).

I stay in a big serviced apartment complex, and I would like to give a token of appreciation to the staff, who do a great job all year round, but I can't find a way to make it fair, as there is no central 'tip box', and I could not be sure of reaching every member of staff. So in true Scottish wallet tradition 'if in doubt don't take it out...'

tight-fisted scotch git

I stay in a big serviced apartment complex, and I would like to give a token of appreciation to the staff, who do a great job all year round, but I can't find a way to make it fair, as there is no central 'tip box', and I could not be sure of reaching every member of staff.

I read somewhere that there is an end of the year gifting to employees in Thailand. I asked last year and received quite pleasant replies. But before I could tip the staff, they were all done for selling drugs out of the office. As for my once a week maid, I generally give her something extra when I go away for the Christmas holiday.

But before I could tip the staff, they were all done for selling drugs out of the office.

Now that's service!

As for my once a week maid, I generally give her something extra when I go away for the Christmas holiday.

Double entendre alert!! :)

Great Christmas attitude though. Merry Christmas.

The response proves the poster's point I think - that tipping is an act of economic aggression.

[Make that economic power display - 'economic aggression' makes me sound like some sort of bearded sandal wearer; oh no - what's wrong with beards and everyone wears sandals here!!]

PS - as a Brit who spent time in the US I can't break the habit myself, though here in Thailand it is rounding up restaurant and bar bills and 20 baht a day to the hotel room cleaner. I would give one week's wage to anyone valued who worked around the house for me - same as I do in the UK. I feel better about Christmas tipping than I do about tipping for ephemeral service.

Edited by SantiSuk

I look at it a little differently, and this started years and years ago when I was staying at the (don't laugh) Bangkok Centre Hotel down near Hualamphong. I tip reasonably well by American standards (unless service is bad, and then nothing or a penny or satang to make the point). I had gone to lunch and about halfway through eating I remembered that I had left everything valuable right out on my bed -- 35 mm camera, credit cards, passport. I rushed back to the hotel only to find two room girls literally standing guard at my door. One spoke poor English, but related that when they went in to clean the room and saw everything on the bed that they decided to stay there until my return...just outside the locked door. I think my nice tip on the bed each day had made the difference.

The situations vary, but everyonce in a while I find that being a good tipper saves me money. This year, before we moved into our condo, we ate quite frequently at one particular S&P. I tipped well, though not extravagantly. My Thai SO always checks meal bills carefully, and one day discovered they had forgotten to charge us for desert. "No mistake. You are like family here."

In many circumstances in a "regular situation", I see it as an investment.

To my maid of six years I give a New Year's bonus of one month salary. Each building employee, guards, reception staff, shuttle boat crew, handymen get Bt200. There are quite a few of them. The lady in the condo office gets Bt300.

In reality I guess I'm tipping for me. It does make me feel good. For the recipients it is a token gift but at least it's something. I know a lot of people in my building are offended simply at the thought of tipping anything. They believe they are the upper class and the little people are lucky to have jobs.

Edited by grantbkk

I tip those who do their job well without causing me aggravation or extra money.

Here that is hard to find, that's why I do it.

Well said!

Example:

If I get in a taxi and he takes me where I want to go, drives safely and is polite he gets a tip.

My old post office forwards mail to me - although they do not need to by post office policy - they get a gift basket at New Years. I used to give a bottle of Scotch to the manager but have changed to a healthy gift basket for the whole office.

I pay 2k/month for 2 part time maids - I'm not sure what percentage of that they get to keep. At Christmas, I give them 2k bonus each when (in a decorative envelope which of course won't be opened in front of me). I don't give at Songran - I feel at the farang gift giving time I can be excused for acting farang. These people are in my home, sometimes unsupervised, and I feel obliged to reward their honesty. It is certainly appreciated and certainly not required (they have even pointed this out to me). As a side effect, I've never once had to purchase cleaning equipment which just magically appears as required, and their schedules get coordinated so never more than one at a time back in the village and even then short trips. I've never tipped any other employees in the building nor contributed to the yearly Christmas party, but we seem to be treated as good people I suspect from good words from the maids. Coming from a non-tipping background, it is certainly interesting to actually see it working like it should and promoting good service.