Nissan Nv Wingroad

seedy

When I first moved to Thailand, 9 years ago, had a "Friend" try to sell me one for my first "Thai Car".... I drove it around Bangkok for about two hours, returned it to him, Thanked him, and walked away.... Did not buy the car and in fact have never seen that "Friend" since....

I found it to be way too small, under powered, uncomfortable and in fact just did not feel Safe in the thing.,... Yes, it was cheap/inexpensive, but that was not my primary concern for a vehicle, and never has been,,,....

Pianoman

When I first moved to Thailand, 9 years ago, had a "Friend" try to sell me one for my first "Thai Car".... I drove it around Bangkok for about two hours, returned it to him, Thanked him, and walked away.... Did not buy the car and in fact have never seen that "Friend" since....

I found it to be way too small, under powered, uncomfortable and in fact just did not feel Safe in the thing.,... Yes, it was cheap/inexpensive, but that was not my primary concern for a vehicle, and never has been,,,....

Pianoman

I don't think the OP is looking for a reply from someone with 'two hours' experience of the vehicle, size you can see that from the outside no need to get in, comfortable average for that vehicle,safe average for a vehicle that size introduced 10 years ago, unless you were refering to your driving?.

PS have owned 2 first single cab 1year then Queencab 4years vehicle okay if you view it for what it is - good runaround for town/occasional long trips 1/2 adults/smallchildren, only vehicle so far have thought i would buy another as a second car handy to have around .

Had mine for 6 years now, no mechanical problems apart from new battery etc, idea for driving locally, 1600cc engine is plenty enough, slighty higher than the average car plus front wheel drive makes it easier to get up and down dirt tracks, the bench seat in the back is only really suitable for kids.

Obviously a big truck would have its advantages on driving long distances but i very rarely drive too far and when i have, the car has been fine.

idea for driving locally, 1600cc engine is plenty enough, slighty higher than the average car plus front wheel drive makes it easier to get up and down dirt tracks, the bench seat in the back is only really suitable for kids.
okay if you view it for what it is - good runaround for town/occasional long trips 1/2 adults/smallchildren, only vehicle so far have thought i would buy another as a second car handy to have around .

Seedy. I see you are Canadian. You need to think of a queen cab like a small El Camino. It's a pretty farm truck you can take to town. Queen cab would make a good island truck for taking the dog/surf board to the beach etc. That was my first choice when I came here but it didn't pan out and then I ended up with a new Suzuki Carry which is just a truck.

A potential problem I see is that they don't make them anymore so you will have to struggle through the used car market, but every now and then I see a reasonable looking one for sale. They are available in auto if you live in town. If you plan to do a lot of miles I have seen a few with a small LPG tank in the back.

Not the car if status is important to you.

2007 i think, lost very little on both of mine never see old single cabs for less than 80,000 baht young people like to modify them which in turn seems to hold even the earliest/nastiest Queencabs at 150,000+, so i would say if you find a nice one at a little bit over 200,000 and they are out there you shouldn't lose to much even after a few years.

Many thanks for all the replies. I could use the pickup bed occasionally - even a small one like this. I ride my bike most places. Will most likely have a look for an unmolested one. Merry Xmas. Best in 2010 to all.

Not a Wingroad, but my wife still drives the NV QueenCab automatic with Carryboy which she purchased 11 years ago. It has been 100% reliable (serviced strictly according to manufacturer's schedule by Nissan Chiang Rai) and the only downside is its rather thirsty fuel consumption. Great little vehicle.

My parents used to have an AD Resort, essentially the same car but in station wagon form. And it was awesome :) Sure, it's a pretty cheap, low-grade car, but it was pretty much bulletproof. We drove it from Phuket down to Penang and KL on a couple occasions. I am not sure if the wingroad uses the same antiquated engine (carburetor FTW), but it had plenty of grunt for a 1.6L Only bad thing I can remember about it was the AC compressor, it had to be changed on a few occasions. Apparently it is a common Nissan problem...

Mine wasn't a Wing Road and wasn't even a queen cab. It had no back seat. I bought it new around 1993. I drove it about three years and was very happy with it. Never had any problems. I was actually impressed with how it handled and drove.

Single cab - mine is very basic, no power steering but handles great, fast car, very light (made from tin foil) and corners well on low pro tyres. Can also haul a load of stuff, usually motorbikes which are easy to drive up onto the low bed. Good value for the money. Buy mine - it has a rubbish paint job, ugly grey plastics and high mileage but at least the a/c and the stereo work and it still kicks ass.

Like Kartman I had two, a single cab and queencab. Both were manual and had power steering, I seem to remember them being the "SL" models. I thought they were a real fun drive. The 1600 CC engines made them fairly over-powered for their weight and 160 km/hour was possible, faster going down hills :) I liked them better than the bigger pickups and our Honda Jazz. A friend had an automatic version but that seemed to overheat when driven fast for long periods on the Bangkok-Chonburi motorway.

The downside when we had them, and we used them for business, was we needed to change front wheel bearings and clutches every 100,000 kms or so. The bigger Nissan pickup I drive now is far more reliable but isn't as much fun.

We've got a '93 NX that we bought new, which is the same car and wheelbase, but in a sport version. It is lower and with wider tires. That 1600cc engine just loves to rev, and really can move out. It's a very luxurious interior for the vintage. Built in Japan by Japanese. It's our second (back up car), but I like driving it more than our new car. Has never broken down. Has only 135,000 km on the clock...it's cheaper to keep than sell it. I love it.

We've got a '93 NX that we bought new, which is the same car and wheelbase, but in a sport version. It is lower and with wider tires. That 1600cc engine just loves to rev, and really can move out. It's a very luxurious interior for the vintage. Built in Japan by Japanese. It's our second (back up car), but I like driving it more than our new car. Has never broken down. Has only 135,000 km on the clock...it's cheaper to keep than sell it. I love it.

I also have one of these, and as you say, based on the Sunny B14 chassis and engine so plenty of cheap spares. I have 217,000 k on the clock now but never had a mechanical problem. Does about 15 k to the litre on adverage so pretty economical too. However, reading road test reports, the claimed top speed for the 1600 fuel injected model was around the 120+ mph mark ?? I've had mine upto 160 kph on a couple of occasions ( 100 mph ) but I felt that there was not much more on offer and I didn't want to wring its neck to find out. What kind of top speed are you getting from yours ?

IMO , 5th gear is not tall enough and could be improved on but I'm not sure if its possible to change a cog or two. Like you, very happy with it and plan to hang on to it as long as possible as they are getting pretty rare.

I also have one of these, and as you say, based on the Sunny B14 chassis and engine so plenty of cheap spares. I have 217,000 k on the clock now but never had a mechanical problem. Does about 15 k to the litre on adverage so pretty economical too. However, reading road test reports, the claimed top speed for the 1600 fuel injected model was around the 120+ mph mark ?? I've had mine upto 160 kph on a couple of occasions ( 100 mph ) but I felt that there was not much more on offer and I didn't want to wring its neck to find out. What kind of top speed are you getting from yours ?

IMO , 5th gear is not tall enough and could be improved on but I'm not sure if its possible to change a cog or two. Like you, very happy with it and plan to hang on to it as long as possible as they are getting pretty rare.

Dammit, the more I read this thread, the more I wanna get my hands on an old AD Resort :) Maybe finally realize my adolescent Photoshop fantasies...

gtresort.jpg

But yes, max speed I remember taking the old one was 160km/h, not sure if it was the most it could go, or if we just didn't want to push it further...

Nissans being Nissans, it should be relatively easy to swap out transmission components or even the whole transmission itself. Heck change the engine while you're at it, a SR20DET would move this lightweight car very very well :D

Edited by eTiMaGo

• 3 weeks later...