Thai Customs

junglist

Thai Customs

Merry Christmas

Well they did it to me again. Those nasty people at Customs. Once again they are holding my children’s Christmas Gifts hostage. This time they are saying two weeks for clearance and last year they tried to tax us double the worth of the toys. Thank you Thai Customs for ruining my Mother Christmas once again. She loves to call from the States and hear the kids talk out what she sent them. Sorry Thaivisa crew I am just venting.

OK out-smart them next time. Ask your mom to send the kids gifts well before Christmas (maybe 6 months prior). It is clear they know they are gifts for Christmas and are expecting you to get frustrated and pay their corruption fee.

However if you receive them from G/M say 5 - 6 months before they may not put 2 and 2 together. All you have to do is hide them away fromthe kids until Christmas.

Have a nice one anyhow.

Any details on this???

1. What is the reason they are giving for holding your package?

2. How was this sent (freight, post, Courier?)

3. What are the goods sent?

To be honoest this doesnt make a whole lot of sense, there is nothing that can be done in two weeks that can't be done today... unless an import permit is required.. (some toys do require import permits).

If this is the case, the two weeks in question may be the estimated processing time of the import permit. (just guessing about the import permit, but it is the only explination that makes any sense).

If it is an import permit, then they are not holdong your goods "hostage" they are offering to break the law for a fee...

This group of jack offs break the law when they walk onto the premises each morning. Once in a while someone will comment on honest taxi drivers, policemen, and even a politician (so I have heard), but have never heard anything but negative comments where customs/duty is involved.

I've just paid 9,400 baht tax on 22,000+ baht worth of 9 music CDs, 1 DVD box set and 1 BR disc (freight and insurance included) that I ordered for home entertainment during new year's holiday. I initially refused receipt and had DHL investigate this as this isn't the first time I ordered goods worth over 20,000 baht on amazon but never paid more than 2,000 baht duty and VAT, often no tax at all. Turned out it was all correct and the rates were in line with custom's tariff code so I paid (30% on all optical disc). With 7% VAT the tax amounted to almost 43% of the CIF value (or more than half the cost of goods). I guess no more amazon for me. Next year I'll consider 8,000 baht gala dinner at resort hotel.

DHL are known to be worse than Customs :)

I know, that's why I was surprised their customer service was willing to spend an hour with me on the phone over this. And staffs at DHL office on Sathorn were quite helpful when I went there after 9PM to pay tax with credit card (they're open 24 hrs for pick up). Some of those about to leave the office bothered asking me if I've been taken care of (and if I have problem).

Edited by Nordlys

I receive frequently packages by post in Thailand, books, medicine etc. Last week I received a big parcel with a very low weight, containing herbal tea. My packages have never been opened. For my last parcel, I had to pay 12 THB, I do not know what for and I never asked. It took 8 days to arrive from Europe in the village. I never use a courier. From my business time, I know couriers tend to create problems with the customs. I always send by normal post. Only once did a parcel not arrive. It turned up back in Europe about two months later.

I know Thai post and customs since many years. I used them to send many samples back to Europe when I traveled here for business. Their record was much better than that of the courier services I used now and then. I have sent valuable shipments out of Thailand with EMS. I never had a problem, I never paid money that was not on a bill and I feel their service has improved a lot in the last years.

I know couriers tend to create problems with the customs. I always send by normal post.

When I complained to DHL that I never paid more than 1,000+ baht duty in the past they said my past shipment probably came through Thailand Post (or US postal service) through which not every parcels are levied duty + VAT. And it actually happened to be the case as I tended to avoid courier shipment to save shipping cost. Too bad amazon no longer offers the choice of postal service delivery (at least for Amazon Japan where this shipment came from).

It may seem unrelated, but I wonder if this has any relevance to this topic?

Possible solution Make some sort of certificate and stick it in an envelope with the cert showing Good for 1 special gift coming by special delivery. I know it sounds goofy, but it can work sometimes. You'd be surprised at the ability of kids to understand when things are explained calmly. If the kid doesn't understand, then the chances are not having the presents there won't make a diff to anyone except you. Besides with all the other loot that will be given, the pain of missing instant gratification will be soothed.

How do I know the certs worked? Cuz we did that in our house and while I was p.o., I understood.

I've just paid 9,400 baht tax on 22,000+ baht worth of 9 music CDs, 1 DVD box set and 1 BR disc (freight and insurance included) that I ordered for home entertainment during new year's holiday. I initially refused receipt and had DHL investigate this as this isn't the first time I ordered goods worth over 20,000 baht on amazon but never paid more than 2,000 baht duty and VAT, often no tax at all. Turned out it was all correct and the rates were in line with custom's tariff code so I paid (30% on all optical disc). With 7% VAT the tax amounted to almost 43% of the CIF value (or more than half the cost of goods). I guess no more amazon for me. Next year I'll consider 8,000 baht gala dinner at resort hotel.

DHL are part of the rip off. Send each itme by itself USPS. Zero problems. Don't bother with insurance. Another red flag.

DHL are part of the rip off. Send each itme by itself USPS. Zero problems. Don't bother with insurance. Another red flag.

Does US amazon still gives you the option of shipment by USPS? I didn't have that choice with Japanese amazon. I also never asked for the insurance but was included in shipping. On top of that they added freight and insurance (700+ baht) to the amazon invoice value which already includes freight to come up with the import duty. DHL said that is the standard procedure by customs department which the DHL custom support try to convince me in length but no amount of explanation had me convinced why they had to add freight and insurance on CIF value to calculate import duty.

I'm just waiting for a small shipment of spare parts sent via DHL from the UK.......... marked as spare parts with a value of £3. Real value £450 do you reckon somchai will know there some of the best pre amp valve's in the world?

Edited by Hssl

I'm just waiting for a small shipment of spare parts sent via DHL from the UK.......... marked as spare parts with a valve of £3. Real valve £450 do you reckon somchai will know there some of the best pre amp valve's in the world?

I would have done that too if amazon was willing to declare undervalued figures in the invoice, but most decent online stores don't, let alone a listed company like amazon. And just because you declare $0 value (red flag IMO) doesn't mean package will be delivered to you duty free. They can and do make assessment of what the actual and reasonable value of the goods (but perhaps not the spare parts).

What brand pre-amp does that valve go into?

Edited by Nordlys

I can not guarantee this but I am aware that ther Australian Customs do not charge for most e-commere items for home delivery up to a small value for each shipment posted by mail however they do charge for courier items. I understand there is some sort of international agreement covering this which could explain why post seems the best option here in thailand.