Transport Bicycle From Bkk To Phuket?

sid1967

I have taken a bicycle on many buses with me without ever putting it in a box. Simply take off the front wheel and help them put it in the baggage compartment (standing up) and have someone pick it up from the other end. I normally pay about half the price of an passenger ticket for the bike.

have answered this in more detail somwewhere, another thread here on TV

briefly:

• i brought my road/triathlon bike from NZ (Akld-Bangkok-Phuket) early this year when I went back - Thai Air - they recommended
  • remove wheels/pedals/seat
  • double thickness bubble wrap over frame
  • then wheels each side of frame, more bubble wrap

I put seat/pedals/lights etc in my backpack; bike travelled same planes as me, arrived undamaged; reason i was given for 'not a box' was that if clearly visible it's a bicycle ie delicate it'll be last on/first off. And that's how it was; one of first items on the carousel when i got here.

They also charged me nothing as with my backpack all weighed under 25kg allowance.

Ask AA if they'll take it similarly wrapped.

• 3 weeks later...

OK the bike flew from BKK to Phuket.

I arrived at the counter no with a fully assembled bike no box, wrap nothing. The lady said i should bubble wrap it in the airport. I asked they dont do, cuz of the size also the postoffice does not have a box big enough. They let me sign that it was unsuitably packed and tehy took it on my own risk. Cost me 572 THB with Airasia.

I am not sure if the gearshifter got a hit but it still works fine.

They through it on the belt where it fell off the minute it arrived...was the last item. Would prefer to bring it to a oversize baggage pickup but anyway, was OK for me.

• 3 weeks later...
I like sending motorcycles through Thai Post if that helps. Very secure and never had any problems.

Sent a 150cc from Bkk to Burirum for 850 Baht last month.

Dan

Hi Dan,

How did you prepare your M/c for the PO?

850 is cheap. :)

I may want to post from Nakhon Pathom to Phuket one day soon.

Thanks...

GD

Ride it there. If that does not work you can take of the pedads & loose items and bubble wrap it. I have done this a few times. Local flights are different to inter and you can get out at Phkt and see it being uloaded & shout at them if needed.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple empty cardboard beer boxes and a 30 baht roll of tape. 15 mins to remove front tire, lower seat, remove handlebar stem from fork, and tape it all into one package. Buffer a few key positions to prevent paint damage. Voila! One ugly lump, but reliable.

Have taken on train, minibus, taxi, plane, and motorbike taxi. No problem so far :)