Thailand On Toplist For Investment

From a newspaperarticle in my homecountry:

(translated)

"The largest pensionfund in the USA, CalPERS (California Public Employees' Retirement System) with an invested capital of US$ 186 Billion (Euro 142 Billion) has declared Thailand to be one of the best countries to invest thanks to the growing Trade, Political stability and well protected and transparent Capital Market."

Curious for your comments

LaoPo

From a newspaperarticle in my homecountry:

(translated)

"The largest pensionfund in the USA, CalPERS (California Public Employees' Retirement System) with an invested capital of US$ 186 Billion (Euro 142 Billion) has declared Thailand to be one of the best countries to invest thanks to the growing Trade, Political stability and well protected and transparent Capital Market."

Curious for your comments

LaoPo

I read the same article, probably in Bangkok Post or Japan times while flying to Bangkok. It didn't seem like such a breakthrough announcement to Calpers. I got the impression that TH was off their list for a year or two, just barely. Wasn't it related in political instability? Now that Thanksin and TRT are firmly reelected, the country probably seems for stable.

But do Thai corporations follow GAAP or international standards of accounting? Are the corporations truly transparent? What's the corruption index for Thailand? According to the 2003 survey, TH ranks 70th in the world - a poor showing.